A Brit Working in Mexico

Old Feb 25th 2008, 10:06 am
Just Joined

Zenith is an unknown quantity at this point
Default A Brit Working in Mexico

Hello, My name is Johnny Grinter. I lived in Mexico City for 7 months, and came back only 3 months ago to the UK.

I had absolutely no idea that this sort of community existed whatsoever. I'm not sure why but I really felt like I myself and my best friend were the only Brits in the whole of Mexico City.

Anyway I cannot believe I left Mexico now, and I deeply deeply miss it very very much. I left because I was scared about staying and getting stuck there. My visa would have been constantly renewed though as I have a friend in Immigration.

During my time there I worked as a private tutor, but mostly lived off my savings. This is unusually lazy for me, but there you go.

Anyway I made many amazing friends, and despite the many flaws I grew a passion for Mexican culture.

What I want to ask is:

Can anyone help me with advice about employment? I am not too keen on teaching, and would really return if I was offered a 'decent' wage for Mexico. I am 29 years old, enthusiastic, well spoken (which goes down well lol). I have experience in Television production and research (not much) and I am a photographer....amateur but well I sell my work. I also have some journalism experience. I have experience in retail, and I am a people person first and foremost.

I have a free room in a nice apartment in Mexico City, so that isn't a problem.

I miss you Mexico.
Old May 3rd 2008, 9:53 pm
Just Joined

Physicist is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: A Brit Working in Mexico

Originally Posted by Zenith
Hello, My name is Johnny Grinter. I lived in Mexico City for 7 months, and came back only 3 months ago to the UK.

I had absolutely no idea that this sort of community existed whatsoever. I'm not sure why but I really felt like I myself and my best friend were the only Brits in the whole of Mexico City.

Anyway I cannot believe I left Mexico now, and I deeply deeply miss it very very much. I left because I was scared about staying and getting stuck there. My visa would have been constantly renewed though as I have a friend in Immigration.

During my time there I worked as a private tutor, but mostly lived off my savings. This is unusually lazy for me, but there you go.

Anyway I made many amazing friends, and despite the many flaws I grew a passion for Mexican culture.

What I want to ask is:

Can anyone help me with advice about employment? I am not too keen on teaching, and would really return if I was offered a 'decent' wage for Mexico. I am 29 years old, enthusiastic, well spoken (which goes down well lol). I have experience in Television production and research (not much) and I am a photographer....amateur but well I sell my work. I also have some journalism experience. I have experience in retail, and I am a people person first and foremost.

I have a free room in a nice apartment in Mexico City, so that isn't a problem.

I miss you Mexico.
You could try the small community newspapers like The Guadalajara Colony Reporter... I haven't seen anyone from the local British community for a few years but, the last time I did, the GCR full-time staff seemed to be mainly British as fas as I could tell, though the newspaper itself is seemingly intended for the local Canadian American and British communities (I don't buy it, I only read Mexican newspapers and listen to the BBC).