Anyone in Argentina?

Old Nov 1st 2009, 2:46 pm
Forum Regular

MichelleAlison is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Anyone in Argentina?

Hi Richard and welcome to the forum.

With regard to visas, on arrival at the airport immigration will stamp your son's passport with a 90 day visa. He then has two options to renew it before it expires. The first one is to leave the country, usually to Uruguay, and get a new stamp on re-entry. Secondly, he can go to immigration and get a renewal, which is allowed once in every six month period.

With regard to adaptors, we bought loads of international adaptors before we arrived. As you can imagine a family of five with five mobile phones, MP3 players etc. we needed a lot and had no problem.

As Marlin said, when bringing in electronic goods, just as long as they are not in their original packaging and look like they have been used, there is no import tax. Usuaully with the foreigners, they generally turn a blind eye anyway, as immigration know that we are likely to be loaded down with electronic goods anyway.

Please feel free to ask any more questions

Regards

Michelle
Old Nov 1st 2009, 2:48 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Marlin,

How are you doing?

Saludos

Michelle
Old Nov 1st 2009, 3:11 pm
Just Joined

marlin is an unknown quantity at this point

just sent you a quote still havent got the hang of this expats thing yet and cant even get the smilies thing to work only get the words and not the pic sorry having a moan. yea doing ok, did you get the quote thing i sent before? how are you guys doing? its very hot isnt it!!!!!!!!!!
Old Nov 1st 2009, 5:37 pm
Just Joined

IberianExpat is an unknown quantity at this point

Martin and Michelle,

thanks so much for your advice, I appreciate it.

We have spanish electrical adapters, so if I understand you correctly, they should work. The only items would be a mobile phone charger and the aforementioned laptop.

He's arriving on the 26th of this month, and plans to stay in a backpacker's hostel to meet a few people, then may look at sharing accommodation for a few months. He seems to have found quite a few possibilities on craigslist. Then he's thinking about traveling north as the winter approaches, but you know what young people are like - next week he'll have a different plan.

He's used to the heat! Grew up in Brisbane from age 4 to 10, then Spain until age 13, spent a year in Melbourne 2 years ago (40 degrees) and has been here with me on the Costa Blanca in Spain over this summer. But thanks for the warning!

His spanish is pretty good (at least, to me), but I can't help being a parent, and worrying about how he'll get on travelling alone. He went to Melbourne on his own, but that was different, in that he had aussie citizenship and was at the Uni, so had plenty of support if needed. In Argentina he will be a foreign national, speaking a foreign language, with foreign travel insurance.

Anyway, enough of my rambling - thanks again for the advice!

Richard.
Old Nov 1st 2009, 6:12 pm
Just Joined

Mitzyboy, I apologise for incorrect use of the forum. I had been sent a PM which I was unable to read, as I had only made 2 posts; I am also now unable to apologise to you by PM, for the same reason, and so must do so on this forum.

Kind regards,
Richard.
Old Dec 10th 2009, 5:14 pm
Just Joined

ChrisHunts is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by blue skies again....yey
Hello

At last I was really excited and pleased to see some pleasant exchanges between grown up's and British people in Argentina.

I've been using the BA expats site but it was getting silly, I haven't known so much squabbling and pettiness since I was at primary school...what a way to carry on!

Anyway, I noticed that a lot of the posts here are quite old. So is there anyone out there now.

I'm in BA at the moment setting things up but would like to move over closer to the Andes. I like the south but would prefer to be somewhere a little warmer in winter. Maybe around Mendoza/Uspallata area.

Is there anyone out there?

Regards
Richard, Sarah and soon a new arrival
Did you end up making the move?
Old Feb 1st 2010, 3:32 am
Just Joined

Moonwitch is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm from London and I've been living in Buenos Aires since September. I've been doing some traveling around the country as well.

It is really interesting reading about how expats came to be. In summary I graduated last year and wanted to do something different. I knew someone living in Buenos Aires who invited me to stay and I came out and fell in love with the city (stupid as it sounds).

I must admit Buenos Aires is starting to grate on me and every other day I question why I am here... does anybody else get like that?
Old Feb 17th 2010, 9:17 am
Banned

DanielMDQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MichelleAlison
We are an English family living in Mar del Plata. From what I gather, we are the only Brits in this city.
wow, i live in Mar del Plata too, but i'm argentinian lol, how cool that we have british people here
Old Feb 17th 2010, 11:25 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by DanielMDQ
wow, i live in Mar del Plata too, but i'm argentinian lol, how cool that we have british people here
Hi Daniel and welcome to the forum. We are a small community of Brits about 8 that I know of. The American community is also growing. Through various forums I have met the expats in Mar del Plata.

Vos un Marplatense?

Saludos

Michelle
Old Feb 17th 2010, 11:29 am
Banned

DanielMDQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MichelleAlison
Hi Daniel and welcome to the forum. We are a small community of Brits about 8 that I know of. The American community is also growing. Through various forums I have met the expats in Mar del Plata.

Vos un Marplatense?

Saludos

Michelle
HI Michelle! yes, i'm a marplatense LOL

I live in Caisamar neighborhood (near Constitucion avenue) where are u?

I arrived to this forum looking for help about a rejected visa to visit the US (check my posts and u can read, i'm quite depressed about that)

Last edited by DanielMDQ; Feb 17th 2010 at 11:30 am. Reason: add something else
Old Feb 17th 2010, 4:09 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by DanielMDQ
HI Michelle! yes, i'm a marplatense LOL

I live in Caisamar neighborhood (near Constitucion avenue) where are u?

I arrived to this forum looking for help about a rejected visa to visit the US (check my posts and u can read, i'm quite depressed about that)
Hi Daniel, this is quite a common issue with American visas. They take your money first and then refuse you a visa without a refund.

I live near Playa Varese. I know many people that live in Caisamar, although I have never visited the area. I hear it is a really beautiful area full of beautiful houses and greenery!!

Saludos

Michelle
Old Feb 21st 2010, 6:05 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Moonwitch
I'm from London and I've been living in Buenos Aires since September. I've been doing some traveling around the country as well.
I must admit Buenos Aires is starting to grate on me and every other day I question why I am here... does anybody else get like that?
I can report that my son (20), who arrived in BsAs in November, got itchy feet in January, and felt he had to get out of BsAs for a bit. He went to Mendoza for a week (very hot, got pickpocketed), then to Valparaiso (too cool, but fascinating city), then Santiago for a few days. He decided that BsAs is probably the place to be (at least for him), so returned there last week. He's found an apartment in Palermo Soho, and is now working on developing his website business. Maybe you might find a change of neighbourhood helpful?

Best wishes
Old Apr 5th 2010, 11:28 pm
Just Joined

EmilyGarces is just really niceEmilyGarces is just really niceEmilyGarces is just really niceEmilyGarces is just really niceEmilyGarces is just really niceEmilyGarces is just really niceEmilyGarces is just really niceEmilyGarces is just really nice

Originally Posted by expatabroad78
Hola Amigos,

If there are any british expats in Arg I'd love to know as I'm sure there must be some hiding somewhere.

I have heard there is a strong German & Swiss community in the south but I'd like to know if there are any Brits here, specifically in the NOA region.

Hasta Luego xx
I am going to move to the province of Neuquen in a few months. My husband is Argentine. We have two young sons born here in europe. I was wondering if anyone can tell me if it's going to be easier to apply for permentant residence before I leave or after I am settled in Argentina. I have lived in Argentina for several years previously and always used a tourist visa...

I would love to meet more Brits living in Argentina!
Old Apr 6th 2010, 9:54 pm
Just Joined

Olpage is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi....I'm English and have lived in Bariloche for 4 1/2 years.
I'd strongly recommend getting your residency sorted before you leave, with the Argentinian Consulate in London. It's not that hard if you're married to an Argentinian - I canĀ“t remember what you need but just give them a ring or send them an email. It's one less thing to worry about once you are here.
Then once in Argentina, apply ASAP (!) for your DNI (Documento Nacional de Identidad) - that's if you are planning to live in Argentina long-term. This can take a long time to come through, but once you have it, it's almost the same as having a passport, and you even travel in Mercosur countries with it.
Hope that helps a bit anyway. Whereabouts are you going to live in Neuquen?
Any other questions feel free to send me a query through this site for now.
Best wishes,
Oliver Page
Old Apr 11th 2010, 5:11 pm
Forum Regular

I am also British and live in Mar del Plata. We tried to do the visa process in London, but it was a mess. Therefore we arrived here as tourists and processed our visas in Mar del Plata. Fortunately, it is a quick process here in Mar del Plata, but in Buenos Aires it takes much longer due to the amount of expats.

As you are married to an Argentine, like me, it is an easy process. Check through my previous posts on this forum regarding documents etc. Come prepared with everything, as it will make the process simple.

Regards
Michelle

www.mardelplatanews.com