Any ex-pats in Mazatlan?

Old Jul 23rd 2012, 5:55 pm
Just Joined

webby61 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Any ex-pats in Mazatlan?

Thanks very much Adrian,
that is exactly what I wanted to hear. I shouldn't need to bother you for a while now, you will probably be glad to hear!
Seriously though, thanks mate and if I do ever get out there I will definitely buy you a pint.
Cheers, Paul.
Old Jul 29th 2012, 2:43 pm
Just Joined

This question goes out to anyone who can help.
Adrian, you have been very helpful to me so far and thanks for that.
What I need to know is this.
Is it possible to satisfy the earnings requirements for an initial FM3 by combining wages with income from UK? In my case I would have about 9000 pesos a month from renting out my UK flat.
My friend in Mazatlan reckons I could easily get by on about 12000 pesos a month. Therefore i would ideally be looking to work part time legitimately and looking for about 3000 pesos a month.
I believe that an income of $1200 has to be proved for an initial FM3 is granted but this is not needed for renewals.
Any help with this would be greatly appreciated as if this is not possible then my Mexican fantasy will have to wait until I get my pension.
Cheers folks,
Paul.
Old Jul 29th 2012, 6:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

AdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to behold

OK - let's go for clarity (al fin!) :-)

FM3 RENTISTA (Retiree) Monthly income Income Requirement - is 400 times the DF daily minimum wage. So, 62.5 pesos x 400 = MN$25,000.

YOU CANNOT HOLD MORE THAN ONE TYPE OF VISA - you MUST decide WHICH visa you will apply for. Either it's retiree visa (see income requirement above - which MUST be from FOREIGN sources) OR a working visa (in which case, there is NO income requirement as your employer is 'sponsoring' you)

IMHO, what you need to do is come here on a six-month standard tourist visa, look for a job and change to a working FM3...don't tell anyone about your foreign rental income, what they can't and don't know won't hurt them.
Old Jul 30th 2012, 11:11 am
Just Joined

Thanks again Adrian,
I got the idea about needing to prove an income of $1200 per month when applying for your first FM3 from Rolly Brook who says this on his working on an FM3 page.
Has the sage of Lerdo got this one wrong? If so then maybe I could apply for a job using my English to justify my employment but not need a big wage as I would have some income from UK. Are you certain about not needing a minimum income for an FM3? I hope you are right as this seems to make it potentially much easier for me.
Thanks again for taking the time to advise me.
Cheers,Paul.
Old Jul 30th 2012, 11:21 am
Just Joined

Apologies Adrian,
just re-read the page and the $1200 seems to apply to a non-working FM3.
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 1:45 am
BE Enthusiast

AdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by webby61
Apologies Adrian,
just re-read the page and the $1200 seems to apply to a non-working FM3.
That's right - Roly talks only about the FM3 Rentista (ie: retired, non-working) visa requirements.
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 12:05 pm
Just Joined

Cheers once again Adrian.
What is the difference between an FM2 and an FM3-non-working rentista visa then?
Also, if you go from a tourist visa to a working FM3 can you then revert to tourist status?
Thanks again for your patience mate.
Paul.
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 1:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

What is the difference between an FM2 and an FM3-non-working rentista visa then?
FM3 (all types) = Non-Immigrant - technically, you are supposed to leave after four 1-year renewals.
FM2 (all types) = Immigrant - you are supposed to be working towards citizenship.

Also, if you go from a tourist visa to a working FM3 can you then revert to tourist status?
Yes, but you have to leave the country to do so. Easily done with a quick bus ride to the border.
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 1:51 pm
Just Joined

That's great, cheers Adrian.
Also, as I understand it you can renew your tourist Visa the same way, in theory for as many times as you like? I know you said you cant register a vehicle as a tourist, I just wonder if that includes scooters?
Thanks, Paul.
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 3:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Also, as I understand it you can renew your tourist Visa the same way, in theory for as many times as you like?
That's the theory as the current state of permit tracking by the Mexican Immigration authorities is unknown. AFAIK, it's do-able to a virtually unlimited extent.

I know you said you cant register a vehicle as a tourist, I just wonder if that includes scooters?
If you want to bring in any kind of self-powered vehicle as a TOURIST then you have to get a temporary import permit at the border and post a bond via credit card (currently in the US$200-300 range according to age). This bond is refunded when you surrender the permit on, or before, its expiry and you may only import ONE vehicle at a time. If an import permit is not surrendered in time you will lose the bond payment and if the permit is never surrendered then it stays on record and you will be unable to import another vehicle.

This import permit scheme is administered by Banjercito - the Federal bank of the Mexican Armed Forces - and believe me, they have got their act together.
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 3:34 pm
Just Joined

Ok, thanks Adrian.
I was actually wondering about buying one in Mexico possibly second hand. The other issue I guess is insurance. I wonder also if my friend who has been in Mexico for a number of years and is self employed could be the owner and if I could just get insurance to ride it. I have a full- clean UK licence which I have held for over 30 years.
Cheers, Paul.
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 8:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

I was actually wondering about buying one in Mexico possibly second hand.
One of the things that struck me about Mexico was there were not as many motorbikes/scooters as I would have expected. Our part of the northeast had very cheap public transport, which might have something to do with it.

The other issue I guess is insurance.
AFAIK, there is no strict legal requirement to carry insurance. However, if you are in an accident and cannot show the means to cover any civil liability (ie: cost to 3rd party damage) you will be arrested.

Driving someone else's vehicle is OK, as long as you can show you have their permission. Licenses, in most Mexican states, simply require you to pay the fee and have the photo taken - no test of knowledge or competency required - although requirements may vary by state.
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 10:08 pm
Just Joined

Thanks again Adrian,
a really full and informative response which I hope will prove useful to others too. I really appreciate your help mate.
Cheers, Paul.
Old Sep 7th 2012, 2:09 pm
Just Joined

Hi again Adrian,
just checking to see if renewing a tourist visa via a trip to the border means you need a US visa to skip over the border and back? I imagine it does but thought you might know.
Also, do you know what class of voluntary National Insurance contributions you need to make to keep your UK pension entitlement? It is class 2 or 3 as far as I can see but the pensions dept here don't seem to want to tell you until you are on your way out of the country?
Cheers, Paul.
Old Sep 9th 2012, 9:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi again Adrian,
Hello again, Paul - good thing I still swing by this forum, eh?

just checking to see if renewing a tourist visa via a trip to the border means you need a US visa to skip over the border and back? I imagine it does but thought you might know.
You imagine correctly.

HOWEVER, as a general rule, a Brit can enter the USA under the Visa Waiver Program (no visa required) BUT (and this is a VERY BIG CAUTION) if the US border officer gets suspicious of your intention in visiting the US he can deny your participation in the VWP, for ANY reason, without ANY explanation and for which you have NO right of appeal.

Believe me - I know from the hardest and most bitter experience - it will mean a trip to the closest US Consul to arrange a 10 year B1/B2 visa.

Also, do you know what class of voluntary National Insurance co...
Haven't a clue mate - sorry! I told the UK government to go f**k themselves when I left (back in '03). When I transferred the last dosh to Mexico, the Bank told me they had to complete a Government reporting form to explain why the money was being wired overseas. I told them that they could say it was, "for cough".

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.