Voltage step-up converter

Old Aug 8th 2017, 5:54 pm
Just Joined

mbro is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Voltage step-up converter

Hi,
I'm moving to Cayman on a 2yr contract and work will pay for shipping so I can bring plenty of stuff, although I'm unclear as to whether its worth bringing electronics that aren't dual voltage.
I've been looking at step-up converters to change from 110v to 240v but not sure whether that's worth the hassle or expense (or danger?!) so should I just hope my rental has an iron, hoover, kettle, etc (should be furnished but yet to secure a property) and do without the battery charger, coffee machine, alarm clock, keyboard, printer etc that I could easily fit in the shipment?
Some appear to support only a low wattage so may not even work I guess.
Any advice from anyone with a step-up?
Thanks!
Old Aug 8th 2017, 7:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Voltage step-up converter

Originally Posted by mbro
Hi,
I'm moving to Cayman on a 2yr contract and work will pay for shipping so I can bring plenty of stuff, although I'm unclear as to whether its worth bringing electronics that aren't dual voltage.
I've been looking at step-up converters to change from 110v to 240v but not sure whether that's worth the hassle or expense (or danger?!) so should I just hope my rental has an iron, hoover, kettle, etc (should be furnished but yet to secure a property) and do without the battery charger, coffee machine, alarm clock, keyboard, printer etc that I could easily fit in the shipment?
Some appear to support only a low wattage so may not even work I guess.
Any advice from anyone with a step-up?
Thanks!
I'm useless with anything electrical, so can't help you about voltage etc. But in general, everything you need is available here, and sometimes very cheaply. Toasters and irons are about CI$10 new - the pound is near enough to par, these days - and used machines (vacuums etc) are advertised on eCay.com If I were you, coming on a two-year contract, I really wouldn't bother bringing stuff.
Old Aug 10th 2017, 6:06 pm
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

The equation to remember is A times V = W

Amps times volts = watts

So as the cayman islands has followed the americans who are not trusted with real power, and only get 110 volts, if you want a proper 3 kw kettle, uk standard, if you use a step up transformer it has to be fed - 28x110=3000, 28 amp cable is what your entire electric cooker is probably rated at, and its also quite possibly going to blow your mains cabling.

So how do the locals and americans cope? They have lower power or sometimes slower devices. Take a look at an american flex cable reel, note its great weight and diameter of the cable itself. It has to be twice as big for the same power - thus is 110 volts judged...

Simple answer, as Gordon has said, much easier and safer to just buy american 'stuff' any time where it doesnt have an input transformer. Where they do come with a transformer - Things like shavers computers and other low power devices are often happy with any mains inout BUT CHECK ALWAYS - get out the magnifying glass, read the text on the transformer supplied, dont be surprised if it says input 100-250 volts...

Last edited by uk_grenada; Aug 10th 2017 at 6:08 pm.
Old Aug 11th 2017, 12:27 am
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

Nb the above calculation allows nothing for inefficiency of the transformer, actually a step up transformer will require more power than stated because the transformer itself will convert some of the input energy into heat and itself is not completely efficient. Overall - dont use them if it can be avoided, make sure they are sufficiently rated and that the cabling feeding them is sufficient, typically theres some little widget that you cant get in 110.

Here we get the reverse, most houses have 220 and 110 sockets, the power is 220 so we buy european or south american white goods, and for those crazed by us dollars step down transformers are used but they are just inefficient and avoided / left turned off by many, one big enough for a whole house of washers fridges etc etc is about 3-4 cu ft?
Old Oct 19th 2017, 6:11 pm
Just Joined

mbro is an unknown quantity at this point

Okay, so here's an update after being here for three weeks. We brought laptops and ipads which all work as expected on dual voltage. Couple of small alarm clocks and other things with 220v on the label also work fine, as do the GHD hair straighteners which have mixed reviews as to whether UK ones will work in the US.
Other items are on the sea shipment so will be able to comment further on those when they arrive.