Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Cayman Islands
Reload this Page >

Ticket to the Cayman Islands (from the UK)

Ticket to the Cayman Islands (from the UK)

Old Jun 14th 2019, 3:05 pm
Forum Regular

TandD2017 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Ticket to the Cayman Islands (from the UK)

A great experience. I have only done 2 years. Many stay longer but for me it has made the heart grow fonder of the UK for all it's failings. There is good and bad points but that is the same everywhere, it's all about what you make of it. You will enjoy the experience I am sure.
Old Jun 14th 2019, 5:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

You got lucky, Londoner! Maybe your employer has a good connection...
\
As for whether you will enjoy it or not. We came here for three years in our late 30s (40 years ago), and stayed because it suited us down to the ground. We had a two-year-old son at the beginning, and we reckoned it was a perfect place for him. He, now mid-40s and single, still loves the place, although he isn't living here just now. You'll be fine.
Old Jun 15th 2019, 12:41 pm
Forum Regular

Jamesy5008 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesy5008 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesy5008 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesy5008 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesy5008 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesy5008 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesy5008 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesy5008 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesy5008 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesy5008 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesy5008 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TandD2017
I take it back then!!!!!

Well done and good luck -I am heading the other way, back to the UK in 3 weeks but I have loved my time here - enjoy it
Leaving for good? After how long here?
Old Jun 15th 2019, 12:43 pm
Forum Regular

Jamesy5008 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesy5008 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesy5008 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesy5008 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesy5008 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesy5008 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesy5008 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesy5008 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesy5008 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesy5008 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesy5008 has a reputation beyond repute

Apologies TandD. I didn't read your earlier post!
Old Jun 17th 2019, 8:26 am
Just Joined

SomeLondoner is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks people!

Really looking forward to the move now. Just need to set a date to head out. And figure out how best to get the other half (we're not married) out there with me.
Old Jun 17th 2019, 11:58 am
Forum Regular

Best of luck. One tip. Buy your toiletries before you get here. $6+ for a deodorant. And get some mossie repellant. They are on the warpath just now.
Old Jun 17th 2019, 11:40 pm
Forum Regular

TandD2017 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jamesy5008
Leaving for good? After how long here?
Two years. Time for home now - need to be closer to family.
Old Jun 20th 2019, 8:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Best of luck. One tip. Buy your toiletries before you get here. $6+ for a deodorant. And get some mossie repellant. They are on the warpath just now.
That's some heavy deodorant, Jamesy! Far be it for me to tell you what strength you need (insert appropriate emoji here...), but I buy Avon roll-on for about $1.25 at Fosters***. Nobody's complained yet!
*** No, I tell a lie. It's $1.39 on special this week - 60 cents off, according to the flyer below. (The exchange rate is roughly 1:1 to the pound, Londoner.)
https://fosters-iga.com/specials/weekly/
Old Jul 6th 2019, 4:47 pm
Forum Regular

Didn't know that Gordon! Maybe my wife is trying to tell me something! Just back from UK and emptied the local bargain store of deodorant, razor blades, shaving foam and sun cream.
Old Jul 6th 2019, 8:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Didn't know that Gordon! Maybe my wife is trying to tell me something! Just back from UK and emptied the local bargain store of deodorant, razor blades, shaving foam and sun cream.
And Suave de-od for $1.69 this week. PLUS...Marmite (125 g) for $2.99 - yes! Specially imported for homesick Brits. Hurry on down!
Old Jul 6th 2019, 11:19 pm
Forum Regular

It's MacSween's haggis I'm looking for! Some nonsense about no offal allowed. Heathens!
Old Jul 11th 2019, 9:20 pm
Just Joined

Hi All

So finally touched down a few days ago, with the other half. And so far the whole expierence has been pretty interesting. The poeple we've met have been great. The food..... Amazing and the views, Incredible.

I dont start working until next week. So just using this time to explore, take in the sun and viewing potential places to rent. The new employer has given me a place to rent for 4 weeks.
Old Jul 12th 2019, 1:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by SomeLondoner
... the views, Incredible.
Ah, it must be your first time in the Caribbean! Cayman is a lovely place to live (we came for three years and have stayed for forty-one so far), but it's not the prettiest of islands by a long way. Incredible views are only a few short flights away, though.
Good luck.
Old Aug 13th 2019, 11:46 pm
Just Joined

Just thought I'd provide a small update.

Slowly starting to settle into island life. Work is both challenging and somewhat enjoyable. The collegues seem decent too!

Any rugby or american footballer players here? I'd like to give the Touch versions of these sports a try.
Old Aug 14th 2019, 12:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by SomeLondoner
Any rugby or american footballer players here? I'd like to give the Touch versions of these sports a try.
The rugby pitch is down in the same complex as the Squash and Tennis Clubs, off South Sound Road halfway between Walkers Road and Hurley's. There is quite a good rugby side, which plays other regional teams, and a flag-version of American Football at the same place. Saturdays there's usually a game, and practices most evenings I think. Soccer-football is the main sport here. There's also a cricket league, and ping-pong, volleyball and badminton too. Something for everybody, man!