Teaching job

Old May 11th 2019, 12:13 pm
Nye
Just Joined

Nye is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Teaching job

I am happy I came across this discussion forum and hoping I can really get some help here. My husband and I are thinking of applying to the Cayman Islands for a teaching position for the new school term next year Sept 2020. We are both certified teachers,he primary and I am secondary. We are thinking about applying to the government since we already have experience with the British system. Is the demand for teachers high? I would love to hear from someone with knowledge. We have two kids. I already know the cost of living is high. Does the government hire expats? I would just really like to know if our chances are high or low.
Thanks in advance for any help I can get.
Old May 11th 2019, 10:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Teaching job

Google is your friend, and so is the online magazine "Cayman Resident". Check those out, and then ask specific questions.
Old May 11th 2019, 11:25 pm
Nye
Just Joined

Hi.Thanks for responding.
I checked it out already along with other sites. They were very helpful. However, there is no information on the demand for teachers.
​​​​​​
Old May 12th 2019, 1:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nye
Hi.Thanks for responding.
I checked it out already along with other sites. They were very helpful. However, there is no information on the demand for teachers.​​​​​​
Oh, OK. I'm long retired and don't keep up with the employment situation, but the government schools are always looking for teachers from England and the Caribbean. So you could write to the Education Department and put your names down. Private schools in general I think pay less but the teaching is more rewarding in other ways. You'd have to write to each one and tell them what ages you prefer (primary) and what subjects (secondary).

Yes, the cost of living is high here, but the wages are high enough for that not to be a problem. Good luck.
Old May 12th 2019, 2:37 am
Nye
Just Joined

Thanks a lot. Very helpful response.You surely answered my question. Based on what you said teachers are definitely in demand. I am hoping both my husband and I will be accepted when we apply. Since we have two kids it will be economically bether for us.
Old May 13th 2019, 6:58 pm
Forum Regular

ABCR is an unknown quantity at this point

The government system is not British - they use the CXC examination board and follow the Cayman Islands curriculum.It's worth reading the school inspection reports which you can find with a quick Google search

The private schools on island recruit annually and advertise their jobs on the TES and their websites. You could afford to live on the salary of two teachers with your family for sure.
Old May 13th 2019, 7:42 pm
Nye
Just Joined

Thanks for the info. I Thought they use a British curriculum.Nonetheless, We also follow the CXC examination body so I am familiar with it. We are definitely going to apply. I Was thinking probably around October is the best time to apply since we are really looking towards next year. NOT SURE IF THAT'S BES
Thanks for responding.
Old May 13th 2019, 8:22 pm
Forum Regular

Government advertise their teaching posts here: http://www.gov.ky/portal/page/portal...overnment/jobs They generally recruit quite late. I have contacts on island now who applied for a government job in January (usually when they are posted) and still haven't heard back even though they have done an interview. Are you looking in to teaching in government or private schools?

Maybe I misunderstood what you meant by British System - certainly in terms of curriculum content, pastoral care and assessment and intervention - they are not British, but in terms of examinations at the end of year 11 then yes - similar system. Good luck!
Old May 13th 2019, 8:35 pm
Nye
Just Joined

From research I know most of the private schools are not the same as the public. Some ask for experience in IB teaching. We don't have such experience.
​​​​
Old May 13th 2019, 8:37 pm
Nye
Just Joined

We are looking towards the public schools. We have nine years teaching experience in such system.
Old May 13th 2019, 8:39 pm
Nye
Just Joined

Did they apply for a teaching job or other government positions?
Old May 13th 2019, 8:48 pm
Forum Regular

Teaching job The jobs are advertised as just 'High School Teacher', so you apply for a position rather than a school and then if you are successful they will place you in one of the two high schools, for example.
Old May 13th 2019, 8:49 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Nye
From research I know most of the private schools are not the same as the public. Some ask for experience in IB teaching. We don't have such experience.
​​​​
I would imagine that is only CIS? Not one of the two British styled providers?
Old May 13th 2019, 8:56 pm
Nye
Just Joined

I don't have a lot of knowledge,just solely on what I read via the Internet.I have been doing a lot of research so that I can have a greater understanding of both systems.
Old May 26th 2019, 5:42 pm
Nye
Just Joined

Hi ABCR
Did your friend get that teaching job? CURIOUS to know.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.