British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Cayman Islands (https://britishexpats.com/forum/cayman-islands-177/)
-   -   Sport in Cayman (https://britishexpats.com/forum/cayman-islands-177/sport-cayman-845861/)

Gordon Barlow Oct 26th 2014 2:08 am

Sport in Cayman

Earlier this month I posted on my personal blog a reminiscence of a couple of incidents on my cricketing career (such as it was) in Cayman. If any BE reader is interested in the general topic of sport in Cayman, please say so on this thread, and I will add other information. There's plenty to do for young and old.

anuny Oct 29th 2014 9:01 am

Re: Sport in Cayman

Please do continue.

Gordon Barlow Nov 2nd 2014 1:06 am

Originally Posted by anuny (Post 11454699)
Please do continue.

Anuny. Can you give me some idea of what information you'd like? If you're thinking of coming here, I can tell you there's pretty much something for everybody. Scuba diving and snorkelling are most popular with visitors, of course, but except for polo and organised horse-racing there's not much that's lacking. Oh, and winter sports - we're lacking those, too!

uk_grenada Nov 4th 2014 7:46 am

Horse racing, interesting, in Grenada there are 2 abandoned racecourses. Im told it used to be big business, lots of gambling, but its all gone now. We do have crab racing!

I was amused in tobago to see them building a mini racecourse complete with grandstand, for goat racing, gambling again, and so much more suited to the island.

uk_grenada Nov 4th 2014 7:48 am

What, no bobsleigh team? Surely one way for any caribbean nation to guarantee an outing to international sports events is to embrace winter sports :-)

Gordon Barlow Nov 4th 2014 7:55 pm

No, no bobsled team, Bob. There's really only room for one of those in the Caribbean! Good movie, wasn't it?

At the last two Winter Olympics Cayman has had a competitor in the Giant Slalom. He was the son of a very rich immigrant English lawyer, who paid for all the training and fees. I need hardly say that the training camp was not here on the Island...

There are also some Canadian expats here who practise their ice-hockey skills on roller-blades. Good luck, chaps!

uk_grenada Nov 4th 2014 8:13 pm

Grenada has its jaguar, kirani james, a ginuwine home grown (plus us university) olympic gold. They named a street after him, then a town decided to rename itself kirani town... wont see another for a while i suspect.

uk_grenada Nov 10th 2014 4:57 pm

Anyone going to see england win against thr windies in Gda in april?

Gordon Barlow Dec 13th 2014 6:47 pm

I might go over to see England LOSE against the Windies, but I don't think that's going to happen. WI is still rebuilding, and it's a very slow process.