Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Cayman Islands
Reload this Page >

Restaurant Industry on Grand Cayman

Restaurant Industry on Grand Cayman

Old Aug 13th 2014, 6:15 am
Forum Regular

Sammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud of
Default Restaurant Industry on Grand Cayman

I'm considering moving to GC and looking for some advice...

I've been working in some capacity in the restaurant industry for nearly 10 years (I am 24). I'd love to get into the industry in the Caymans but I have a few questions...

1)I have been using Ecay online to search for job postings. I'm specifically looking for management or supervisor positions, although checking out serving positions too. There really doesn't seem to be much although I know the industry is big there. Is that because of the time of year? Should I have started looking earlier, or will job postings start to get more frequent now that December is approaching?

2)Regards serving jobs. What I have found is that CI$5 per hour seems to be normal. What's the minimum wage? And what are tips like? I've worked the last two years in Vancouver, Canada and if the tipping culture is the same, I could live on that. But if it's like Britain, I definitely couldn't!!

3) Considering that I am mostly looking for management or supervisor jobs with more responsibility, do you think it would be better to get a serving job on a temporary 6-month work permit, and look for a higher skilled job that will support my application for an annual work permit once I'm there? Or would I be unlikely to find a restaurateur willing to apply for a TWP for a serving position?

Any help appreciated!

Sam
Old Aug 16th 2014, 5:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Restaurant Industry on Grand Cayman

Originally Posted by Sammilc
I'm considering moving to GC and looking for some advice...

I've been working in some capacity in the restaurant industry for nearly 10 years (I am 24). I'd love to get into the industry in the Caymans but I have a few questions...

1)I have been using Ecay online to search for job postings. I'm specifically looking for management or supervisor positions, although checking out serving positions too. There really doesn't seem to be much although I know the industry is big there. Is that because of the time of year? Should I have started looking earlier, or will job postings start to get more frequent now that December is approaching?

2)Regards serving jobs. What I have found is that CI$5 per hour seems to be normal. What's the minimum wage? And what are tips like? I've worked the last two years in Vancouver, Canada and if the tipping culture is the same, I could live on that. But if it's like Britain, I definitely couldn't!!

3) Considering that I am mostly looking for management or supervisor jobs with more responsibility, do you think it would be better to get a serving job on a temporary 6-month work permit, and look for a higher skilled job that will support my application for an annual work permit once I'm there? Or would I be unlikely to find a restaurateur willing to apply for a TWP for a serving position?

Any help appreciated!

Sam
1. December to March is high season so yes hotels etc will start hiring.
2. Yes servers rely on tips and you can do quite well. Do you have bar experience - that is where the money is.
3. Apply as a server, they wont take you on as a supervisor till they are sure you can manage/supervise. You'll make better money as a server.

Advice - get on the phone, don't wait for posted jobs. Look at the Westin and the Ritz, then call up all the higher end restaurants. Look at their websites - get email addresses.
Old Aug 16th 2014, 8:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Orangepants
1. December to March is high season so yes hotels etc will start hiring.
2. Yes servers rely on tips and you can do quite well. Do you have bar experience - that is where the money is.
3. Apply as a server, they wont take you on as a supervisor till they are sure you can manage/supervise. You'll make better money as a server.

Advice - get on the phone, don't wait for posted jobs. Look at the Westin and the Ritz, then call up all the higher end restaurants. Look at their websites - get email addresses.
Everything he said, especially #2. I hear of people earning US$100K a year as baristas.
Old Aug 17th 2014, 8:15 am
Forum Regular

Sammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud of

Thanks so much, I appreciate the help!