Rented accommodation

Old May 31st 2018, 12:42 pm
Just Joined

Laura101 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Rented accommodation

Out of interest, what type of television do you get out there? Can we still use Netflix and Amazon prime?
Old May 31st 2018, 5:22 pm
Forum Regular

ABCR is an unknown quantity at this point

We get Mexican Netflix - don't ask why... I've no idea!!
Old May 31st 2018, 5:35 pm
Just Joined

Ha ha! I suppose that is better than nothing!
Old May 31st 2018, 6:46 pm
Forum Regular

What job will you do when you get here? That can affect which schools you children can attend and whether there are spaces or not...
Old May 31st 2018, 7:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Laura101
Do all places have air con? That's one thing we can't see in the pictures and I would like to avoid a loud air con system as I think these may cause me to get migraines from past experience!
I think most places have air-con, but of course you don't have to use it! Some (our house, for one) have just room-conditioners, and we don't have to have them on either.
Old May 31st 2018, 8:12 pm
Forum Regular

TandD2017 is an unknown quantity at this point

As a Brit arriving in August you'll be thankful of Air Con. They can be noisy but tend not to be on constantly. Ocean club is lovely, anything of that nature is spot on, even if you just get a place for 6 months until you find your feet. Unless your shipping things over it tends only to be a few suitcases and the dogs bed to move if you change homes after a while,
Old May 31st 2018, 10:12 pm
Just Joined

I am going to be teaching, my partner is going to look for work when we are out there probably in hospitality. We only have furry children ( dogs) who could do with a bit of schooling to be honest! I'm under the impression we should be able to find decent accomodation but money for set up costs will be tight so trying to get as organised as we can in advance so their are no nasty surprises!
Old May 31st 2018, 10:53 pm
Forum Regular

TandD2017 is an unknown quantity at this point

PM sent
Old Jun 1st 2018, 1:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Laura101
I am going to be teaching, my partner is going to look for work when we are out there probably in hospitality. We only have furry children ( dogs) who could do with a bit of schooling to be honest! I'm under the impression we should be able to find decent accomodation but money for set up costs will be tight so trying to get as organised as we can in advance so their are no nasty surprises!
I guess it depends where you'll be teaching. When a friend of ours came here, from England, her school lent her $5000 to meet settling-in expenses.
Old Jun 1st 2018, 12:24 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow
I guess it depends where you'll be teaching. When a friend of ours came here, from England, her school lent her $5000 to meet settling-in expenses.
When we came, we were told to bring $5000 - it wasn't anywhere near enough mind you! A car, deposit on an apartment and first month's rent, deposit to CUC, water authority and flow were already well in excess of $5000!
Old Jun 1st 2018, 2:31 pm
Just Joined

Yes we will have about 5-6, 4 as a loan from the school and whatever else we can scrap together so could be tricky but we will find a way... I hope!
Old Jun 1st 2018, 7:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ABCR
When we came, we were told to bring $5000 - it wasn't anywhere near enough mind you! A car, deposit on an apartment and first month's rent, deposit to CUC, water authority and flow were already well in excess of $5000!
And don't forget that you don't get paid your salary until the end of the month. There's one thing to mention, about buying a car... Go for one that's in good shape and won't need much manitenance. That's obvious, of course, but in my experience the best value for money are Toyotas brought in second-hand from Japan.
Old Jun 1st 2018, 10:43 pm
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

Im guessing Gordon that the affluent nature of the caymens means the roads are good? While we do have people with saloon cars, and yes definitely toyotas are good, we need 4x4, good ground clearance and big tyres on our potholed and somewhat vertigous roads.

The favourites here are japanese Suzuki vitaras and toyota rav4’s, honda crv’s [made in swindon! But come here via japan] and isuzu/toyota trucks. Indian Mahendras and Kia are growing in popularity.

If they can survive here, they are good almost anywhere, i can confirm that range rovers, bmw’s and audi’s rarely live long.
Old Jun 2nd 2018, 12:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Yes, our roads are pretty good, by Caribbean standards. Where high-off-the-ground vehicles are required are 1) driving over traffic-bumps (sleeping policemen, we used to call them) and 2) parking at supermarkets, where the concrete strips are too high for low-slung cars like Toyota saloons! The trend in Cayman is towards high SUVs and RAVs and Jeepish tingums, as a self-defence measure against the idiot drivers that flourish here. Range Rovers are pretty high, though, aren't they? Kia is about the most popular brand at the moment; we don't get any Indian cars at all.
Old Jun 2nd 2018, 7:53 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the advice!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.