Recruiters in Cayman

Old May 8th 2013, 10:11 pm
Just Joined

backtoislands is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Recruiters in Cayman

Hi all, American expat here and I wanted to know what people's opinions were on using recruiters as a means to obtain a job on the island while still living in the US.

I ask only because I'm starting to get the feeling that unless you are already on the island it will be difficult to get a job. If that's the case, I would consider just going to do audit at an accounting firm who I'm almost positive would hire me just to get my foot in the door.

That situation wouldnt be ideal for me as it would be a pretty large pay cut at least on a gross basis (although after factoring taxes I would still make out better in Cayman), and ultimately in two years I would be right back to my current salary, so not much harm done.

As I said though, right now my interactions so far with recruiters on the island have not been overwhelmingly positive as they are not very quick to respond back to me, if they ever do and don't even appear to read my CV based on the questions they ask me.

Thanks for your input!
Old May 9th 2013, 3:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Recruiters in Cayman

Originally Posted by backtoislands
Hi all, American expat here and I wanted to know what people's opinions were on using recruiters as a means to obtain a job on the island while still living in the US.
I ask only because I'm starting to get the feeling that unless you are already on the island it will be difficult to get a job. If that's the case, I would consider just going to do audit at an accounting firm who I'm almost positive would hire me just to get my foot in the door.
That situation wouldnt be ideal for me as it would be a pretty large pay cut at least on a gross basis (although after factoring taxes I would still make out better in Cayman), and ultimately in two years I would be right back to my current salary, so not much harm done.
As I said though, right now my interactions so far with recruiters on the island have not been overwhelmingly positive as they are not very quick to respond back to me, if they ever do and don't even appear to read my CV based on the questions they ask me.
You could send your CV to every firm on the Island. I don't think being on the Island would make a difference, but I guess you could come down for a vacation and check them out.

How much are you earning now (after tax), and where are you working, and where else have you worked? Have you always been in auditing? How old are you, and are you married, with children? What would be your purpose in coming here, if you would have to take a salary cut for two years?
Old May 9th 2013, 5:07 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow
You could send your CV to every firm on the Island. I don't think being on the Island would make a difference, but I guess you could come down for a vacation and check them out.

How much are you earning now (after tax), and where are you working, and where else have you worked? Have you always been in auditing? How old are you, and are you married, with children? What would be your purpose in coming here, if you would have to take a salary cut for two years?
I sent a response to your email on your blog as I was not comfortable answering some of the questions listed.
Old May 10th 2013, 3:09 am
Forum Regular

Andie8 is a jewel in the roughAndie8 is a jewel in the roughAndie8 is a jewel in the roughAndie8 is a jewel in the roughAndie8 is a jewel in the rough

Hey backtoislands, I feel your pain! I got in touch with a recruiter in October 2012 and then had a chat with them on the phone. I haven't heard anything more but, to be honest, I wasn't really in a position to 'up sticks' immediately so didn't press the issue.

I am now vacationing on the island (2 week holiday/reconnaissance mission) and emailed the recruiter TWICE in the weeks leading up to my arrival inviting her out for lunch at Luca (nice restaurant!) She has ignored both of my emails.

I'm going to enjoy the rest of my stay (Sting Ray City tomorrow!), get home and then directly contact all of the firms in GC that have an insolvency/restructuring presence on the island (my profession, relatively niche) and see how I go.

Hey Gordon! I'm relatively quiet in these forums but follow your posts. The electioneering announcements travelling through West Bay every evening make me think of you! :-)
Old May 10th 2013, 4:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Well, good luck with the job-search, Andie. I can't imagine why recruiters won't give you the time of day. That seems amazingly stupid.
Old May 10th 2013, 5:13 am
Just Joined

Hey Andie, funny you should say that, I am looking in the same field. I used to be in audit but now I am in more of a financial advisory role with the big 4. Audit wouldn't be ideal for me if I have to go back to it to get on the island, but I guess I'll have to see how it goes. Good luck in your search.