Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Cayman Islands
Reload this Page >

Opportunity to move to Grand Cayman

Opportunity to move to Grand Cayman

Old Jul 31st 2018, 2:12 pm
Just Joined

hestia is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Opportunity to move to Grand Cayman

Hello there!

The opportunity for my husband to work in the financial sector in Grabd Cayman has recently come to the fore. We currently live in Dublin where I’m a stay at home mum with a two and four year old. Our eldest would be starting school in September but because of his age, this could easily be delayed another year in Ireland at least...

To be honest, I know next to nothing about the Caymans and am just looking for the low down really.
His job would be relatively well paid but what kind of wages would you essentially need to live comfortably with children and schooling included?
I would like to go back to work at some stage. My most recent employment was in HR but I’m also a qualified second level teacher.

I cant decide if uprooting our children and moving across the world would be beneficial to them or not. I’m all on for an adventure but not at the detriment of my children. Any advice would be much appreciated. There’s no real reason for us to move other than opportunity. I’m just not sure if the lure and the reality add up!
Old Jul 31st 2018, 10:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Opportunity to move to Grand Cayman

First, Google "Cayman New Resident" - an online magazine that covers most questions. Next, Google the local newspapers - Cayman Compass and Cayman News Service - to see what goes on. Check out some blogs by locals, if you can find them. Nobody who works in the financial sector is underpaid, so you can put that doubt to rest. Have you checked out all the other posts in this B E Cayman sector? I'll be glad to answer questions when you've got some knowledge of the basics.

(I don't know much about Dublin, but I find it almost impossible to believe it is a better place to bring up children than Cayman. Two thirds of our population are foreign-born, so your two will be in good company.)
Old Aug 1st 2018, 1:23 am
Just Joined

hestia is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you so much for that Gordon. I’ve spent the day trawling through this forum and the website you’ve mentioned. Must have a good look at the papers also.

My parents and sister in law have both visited the island and have said I might go stir crazy there, especially if not working myself. I’m from the countryside originally but am used to the amenities of city life and having lots of activities to do with young children. Is there good infrastructure in place to keep them entertained other than days on the beach?
Old Aug 1st 2018, 3:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

I think that some "trailing spouses" - especially unemployed wives - probably get bored here if they don't play a sport or don't like joining clubs or charities, or don't work; but children are spoilt for choice. All the schools have a variety of worthwhile after-school activities, and there are plenty of non-school things to do. There are good kindergartens for younger kids. And, it's dead easy for them to make friends, assuming they themselves are willing to be friendly. My own experience is too long ago to be relevant - except that every young parent I meet tells me that their experiences are pretty much the same as ours was. However long your man signs up for will probably not be long enough for your children. We came for three years and stayed; people today come for three years and desperately want to stay. Our laws put a limit of seven years (sometimes nine) before intending immigrants are made to go home - and very few are happy to go.