OMG - I have had a job offer

Old Jan 31st 2017, 1:28 pm
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 8
Golftango146 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default OMG - I have had a job offer

Hi All

I have received a job offer to work in Grand Cayman. I am in dialogue regarding my contract.

Are there any UK expats who would be willing to have a chat either via DM or skype. I intend to visit the island before I take up any formal offer but in the first instance, I'm on internet based research.

I'm 34, from London and divorced not that that makes a difference. Any help would be sincerely appreciated :-)
Golftango146 is offline  
Old Jan 31st 2017, 2:29 pm
  #2  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Cayman Islands
Posts: 4,404
Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OMG - I have had a job offer

Originally Posted by Golftango146 View Post
I have received a job offer to work in Grand Cayman. I am in dialogue regarding my contract.

Are there any UK expats who would be willing to have a chat either via DM or skype. I intend to visit the island before I take up any formal offer but in the first instance, I'm on internet based research.

I'm 34, from London and divorced not that that makes a difference. Any help would be sincerely appreciated :-)
Well, first, give us an idea of a) what research you have done so far, and b) what specific questions you have. (I can tell you a bit about general life here, but not about jobs.)
Gordon Barlow is offline  
Old Jan 31st 2017, 2:35 pm
  #3  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 8
Golftango146 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: OMG - I have had a job offer

OK,

A half decent apartment by a beach is from about 3000CI plus? Are there then ground maintenance fees and are advertised property prices negotiable if for long term rental, e.g my contract is 3years.

What are average utility costs for a 2bed apartment?

For a single person, sporty or a couple, an average weekly shop costs? I don't drink alcohol or smoke.

Mobile phone and wifi networks? Price ideas and service providers?

If I am based in West Bay, what is the travel time from the other parts of the island and how much is fuel?

Can you export a UK vehicle?

Is there a swimming pool, 25m plus or a running track/triathlon club? I've found mentions on Twitter but a lot is historical.

Climate looks lovely but are evenings cooler and is sunshine average times the same all year round? I know there is a wet season.

Hidden costs? What else needs to be factored in?

Thanks :-)
Golftango146 is offline  
Old Jan 31st 2017, 2:47 pm
  #4  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Cayman Islands
Posts: 4,404
Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OMG - I have had a job offer

Originally Posted by Golftango146 View Post
OK,

A half decent apartment by a beach is from about 3000CI plus? Are there then ground maintenance fees and are advertised property prices negotiable if for long term rental, e.g my contract is 3years.

What are average utility costs for a 2bed apartment?

For a single person, sporty or a couple, an average weekly shop costs? I don't drink alcohol or smoke.

Mobile phone and wifi networks? Price ideas and service providers?

If I am based in West Bay, what is the travel time from the other parts of the island and how much is fuel?

Can you export a UK vehicle?

Is there a swimming pool, 25m plus or a running track/triathlon club? I've found mentions on Twitter but a lot is historical.

Climate looks lovely but are evenings cooler and is sunshine average times the same all year round? I know there is a wet season.

Hidden costs? What else needs to be factored in?

Thanks :-)
OK. I'll answer some of those later; but first, you need to read the online "Cayman New Resident" magazine. That should be every intending migrant's first port of call. You will want to change some of your questions once you've studied it. Just by the way: what sources did you check out before you applied for the job?
Gordon Barlow is offline  
Old May 16th 2017, 1:07 pm
  #5  
Just Joined
 
Joined: May 2017
Posts: 7
OttawaMan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: OMG - I have had a job offer

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow View Post
OK. I'll answer some of those later; but first, you need to read the online "Cayman New Resident" magazine. That should be every intending migrant's first port of call. You will want to change some of your questions once you've studied it. Just by the way: what sources did you check out before you applied for the job?
Hello Gordon, I've seen you mention this 'magazine' a few times. I assume it's something electronic? Can you provide the link? Do you mean the caymanresident.com? Or is 'Cayman New Resident" something different?
OttawaMan is offline  
Old May 16th 2017, 2:59 pm
  #6  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Cayman Islands
Posts: 4,404
Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OMG - I have had a job offer

Originally Posted by OttawaMan View Post
Hello Gordon, I've seen you mention this 'magazine' a few times. I assume it's something electronic? Can you provide the link? Do you mean the caymanresident.com? Or is 'Cayman New Resident" something different?
If you Google "Cayman New Resident" it will lead you to caymanresident.com. It's the same thing; they changed their name a while back. Have you checked it out yet?
Gordon Barlow is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.