OMG - I have had a job offer

Old Jan 31st 2017, 1:28 pm
Just Joined

Golftango146 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default OMG - I have had a job offer

Hi All

I have received a job offer to work in Grand Cayman. I am in dialogue regarding my contract.

Are there any UK expats who would be willing to have a chat either via DM or skype. I intend to visit the island before I take up any formal offer but in the first instance, I'm on internet based research.

I'm 34, from London and divorced not that that makes a difference. Any help would be sincerely appreciated :-)
Old Jan 31st 2017, 2:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OMG - I have had a job offer

Originally Posted by Golftango146
I have received a job offer to work in Grand Cayman. I am in dialogue regarding my contract.

Are there any UK expats who would be willing to have a chat either via DM or skype. I intend to visit the island before I take up any formal offer but in the first instance, I'm on internet based research.

I'm 34, from London and divorced not that that makes a difference. Any help would be sincerely appreciated :-)
Well, first, give us an idea of a) what research you have done so far, and b) what specific questions you have. (I can tell you a bit about general life here, but not about jobs.)
Old Jan 31st 2017, 2:35 pm
Just Joined

Golftango146 is an unknown quantity at this point

OK,

A half decent apartment by a beach is from about 3000CI plus? Are there then ground maintenance fees and are advertised property prices negotiable if for long term rental, e.g my contract is 3years.

What are average utility costs for a 2bed apartment?

For a single person, sporty or a couple, an average weekly shop costs? I don't drink alcohol or smoke.

Mobile phone and wifi networks? Price ideas and service providers?

If I am based in West Bay, what is the travel time from the other parts of the island and how much is fuel?

Can you export a UK vehicle?

Is there a swimming pool, 25m plus or a running track/triathlon club? I've found mentions on Twitter but a lot is historical.

Climate looks lovely but are evenings cooler and is sunshine average times the same all year round? I know there is a wet season.

Hidden costs? What else needs to be factored in?

Old Jan 31st 2017, 2:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Golftango146
OK,

A half decent apartment by a beach is from about 3000CI plus? Are there then ground maintenance fees and are advertised property prices negotiable if for long term rental, e.g my contract is 3years.

What are average utility costs for a 2bed apartment?

For a single person, sporty or a couple, an average weekly shop costs? I don't drink alcohol or smoke.

Mobile phone and wifi networks? Price ideas and service providers?

If I am based in West Bay, what is the travel time from the other parts of the island and how much is fuel?

Can you export a UK vehicle?

Is there a swimming pool, 25m plus or a running track/triathlon club? I've found mentions on Twitter but a lot is historical.

Climate looks lovely but are evenings cooler and is sunshine average times the same all year round? I know there is a wet season.

Hidden costs? What else needs to be factored in?

OK. I'll answer some of those later; but first, you need to read the online "Cayman New Resident" magazine. That should be every intending migrant's first port of call. You will want to change some of your questions once you've studied it. Just by the way: what sources did you check out before you applied for the job?
Old May 16th 2017, 1:07 pm
Just Joined

OttawaMan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow
OK. I'll answer some of those later; but first, you need to read the online "Cayman New Resident" magazine. That should be every intending migrant's first port of call. You will want to change some of your questions once you've studied it. Just by the way: what sources did you check out before you applied for the job?
Hello Gordon, I've seen you mention this 'magazine' a few times. I assume it's something electronic? Can you provide the link? Do you mean the caymanresident.com? Or is 'Cayman New Resident" something different?
Old May 16th 2017, 2:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by OttawaMan
Hello Gordon, I've seen you mention this 'magazine' a few times. I assume it's something electronic? Can you provide the link? Do you mean the caymanresident.com? Or is 'Cayman New Resident" something different?
If you Google "Cayman New Resident" it will lead you to caymanresident.com. It's the same thing; they changed their name a while back. Have you checked it out yet?