New to Cayman

Old Feb 4th 2017, 1:35 pm
Just Joined

Sonya_Kim is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile New to Cayman

Hi everyone,

I'm very new to the island as in I just arrived here two days ago new.
I've been told Foster's is the cheapest supermarket on the island. Are there any other ones you would recommend?
Are there other monthly events that are worth checking out?
I've been told you don't have to pay tourist tax at restaurants if you can prove you are a resident here. Does that mean you have to show them your passport?
I was hoping to find some of these information from my co-worker but he's also new to the island.
Also I've read that you can receive packages duty free up to first six months you live here. Is that true?
I'm open to any recommendations and advice.

Thanks,

Sonya
Old Feb 6th 2017, 7:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New to Cayman

I'm sure you will love living in Cayman. Have you checked out the Cayman New Resident online ? That will answer most of your questions. There also lots of magazines everywhere advertising events - outside Real Estate and grocery stores.

I have since left Cayman but I never heard of a tourist tax/sales tax in restaurants. Hotels impose a 13% tax on hotel bills. Grats are normally added - get used to tipping your servers.

Try all the supermarkets, I find them much the same.

You can bring in your own personal and household stuff within 6 months and not be charged duty as long as you can prove you already own them.
Old Feb 6th 2017, 7:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Foster's is usually cheaper than Kirk's and Hurley's for the same items; Kirk's tends to carry pricier stuff.

Orangepants is correct about the "tourist tax" in restaurants. Never heard of such a thing!

Friday's Compass for what's on in Cayman.
Old Feb 6th 2017, 11:34 pm
Just Joined

Sonya_Kim is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for the replies.
Yes, I was able to find most answers to my questions on Cayman Resident website. Also I got the book version of Cayman Resident from Foster's.
Like you said, will have to check out different supermarkets. Thanks again.