British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Cayman Islands (https://britishexpats.com/forum/cayman-islands-177/)
-   -   Moving to Grand Cayman advice needed! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/cayman-islands-177/moving-grand-cayman-advice-needed-895205/)

Jmardav Apr 10th 2017 12:29 pm

Moving to Grand Cayman advice needed!

I have been offered a teaching job in Grand Cayman. I have accepted and I am judging completing relevant paperwork to etc. The contract is two years.
I have spent a lot of time going through Cayman residents and it is very useful I have also looked at ecaytrade.
However I still have a few questions. I have been given 1 week in a hotel when I arrive. Is this enough to secure a rental property and move in within a week? If not does anyone have any suggestions I did think about a short term lease while I get settled. Also cars I am not coming with a huge amount of savings so im I better getting finance on a new car or is that a waste of money. I am sure I will have more questions later. But thanks in advance.

Gordon Barlow Apr 10th 2017 4:26 pm

Re: Moving to Grand Cayman advice needed!

Originally Posted by Jmardav (Post 12225726)
I have been given 1 week in a hotel when I arrive. Is this enough to secure a rental property and move in within a week? If not does anyone have any suggestions I did think about a short term lease while I get settled. Also cars I am not coming with a huge amount of savings so am I better getting finance on a new car or is that a waste of money.

A week is time enough, although your employer might give you an extra few days if you need it. There are plenty of places on the rental market these days. I myself would go straight to a rentals-agent, first. Much easier.

My advice for transport would be to buy a Japanese used-car import. Tony's Toys have a good selection in their lot. My wife and I both drive 20-year-old Toyotas that we bought for four or five thousand dollars*** from private owners a few years ago. Fantastic value - and right-hand-drive, which you should prefer to the other.
*** Our CI dollar is about par with the pound, these days.

Jmardav Apr 11th 2017 8:02 am

Thank you so much Gordon that has but my mind to rest and thank you for such a quick reply. Jo

ABCR Apr 26th 2017 4:59 pm

Jmardav which school will you be working at?

Jmardav Apr 26th 2017 6:39 pm

[QUOTE=ABCR;12239006]Jmardav which school will you be working at?
John Gray.

ABCR Apr 26th 2017 8:03 pm

[QUOTE=Jmardav;12239092]

Originally Posted by ABCR (Post 12239006)
Jmardav which school will you be working at?
John Gray.

I'm at a different high school, but very nearby - see you on island soon! :thumbsup: