British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Cayman Islands (https://britishexpats.com/forum/cayman-islands-177/)
-   -   To move on temp contracts (https://britishexpats.com/forum/cayman-islands-177/move-temp-contracts-854736/)

Poppy@34 Mar 17th 2015 11:12 pm

To move on temp contracts

Hi all

Was hoping to get some advice from those of you living or who previously lived in the Cayman islands

My boyfriend and I are both early thirties and working in financial services- he has been offered a permanent contract in the Caymans...

I on the other hand have the following options
Move over with him and try and find a job with banking (compliance etc)when I land
Stay working at home and try and find a role from the uk

I was speaking to a recruitment agency based in the caymans today and they have told me that temporary contracts are the only viable option and then look for permanency

Has anyone moved over on a temp contracts? Do these lead to permanent roles?

Any advice needed!!

Poppy

Orangepants Mar 23rd 2015 9:14 pm

Re: To move on temp contracts

They can do! The company I worked for did it several times. If a temp was good then they would "buy" them from the agency at the end of the initial 6 month permit. So yes can happen.

Poppy@34 Mar 23rd 2015 9:58 pm

Thank you Orangepants...we've both decided to make the move :-)

Now the search for an apartment/condo starts- thinkin 7 mile beach- is a car needed over there?

Orangepants Mar 24th 2015 7:15 pm

Yes you need a car - you could buy something pretty decent for about $4k CI. Look at ecayonline.com.. I have a friend who does rentals for Century 21 who could help with finding you a place - she is fabulous.
You could get married and then be a dependent on his work permit so you don't have to bother with extensions as you'll be given 28 days when you first arrive.

Gordon Barlow Apr 1st 2015 9:05 pm

SMB (Seven Mile Beach) is a pretty expensive place to rent, generally speaking. You could probably afford it easily, if you have good jobs, but still... If you're hoping to work a few years and save, you can do better. As for a car - everybody needs a car here. Two people in a family usually own two cars, because it's so convenient.

MissCarrieK Apr 6th 2015 12:20 am

Thanks Gordon and Orangepants.

I've been sat up half the night in the UK reading your extremely helpful comments.

I'm moving over to Cayman in August to work as a teacher at Cayman Prep and High School.
I've decided I need a short break from teaching in the UK and I'm hoping Cayman is just what I need.
I'm a little worried about the cost of living as I love to shop and treat myself but maybe this is my learning curve! I'm also a little worried about living in accommodation below my usual standard as I'm leaving a lovely flat in a gorgeous area of London.

If anyone else is moving around the same time and would like to make contact then please feel free!

Carrie

Gordon Barlow Apr 6th 2015 12:55 am

Carrie. Google "Cayman New Resident". It's a magazine that will tell you much of what you need to know. My blogsite - especially the earlier posts - will give you something of the flavour of the place. Its politics stink, and the immigration authorities are very obstructive. BUT in practice those things are irritants, and don't detract from the wonderful everyday comfort of living here. Ours is a First World economy; don't worry about accommodation standards. You can worry about the expense of shopping, and about buying a decent car, but not much else.

A friend of ours (the daughter of a couple my wife taught with in Bahamas a hundred years ago) came from England to teach at the Prep School 18 months ago, in the September term. She thinks she's died and gone to heaven - absolutely adores her lifestyle and her job (Grade 5 at the Prep primary school). She has just bought a house here for herself and her 16-year-old son who goes to the Prep senior school. Her mother (in her 70s) will live here part of the year. If you send me your email (at my email, which you can find on my website), I will pass it on to her and you can ask her questions relating to the job. And, you can ask me anything the Resident doesn't tell you.

My B E Profile should tell you that my wife and I have lived here since 1978, and our son went to school here - at Prep, naturally. It's an excellent school.

All the best.

kat_s Apr 19th 2015 2:47 pm

Hi Carrie, I'm moving to Cayman with work at the end of June, and if you want to, it would be great to catch up when you get there in August. I'm also a little nervous of the accommodation costs. Even though I currently work and live in Hong Kong where you pay a fortune for a tiny flat, I'm concerned that I won't be able to keep the same standard of accommodation. I'm looking a smb and the prices there appear extremely high for what you can get. Any advice on locations where single expats live would be appreciated! Thanks, Kat

MissCarrieK Apr 19th 2015 2:59 pm

Hello Kat,

Nice to hear from another single lady heading over to Cayman.

I'd love to meet up when I arrive. I get there on the 14th August- not sure where I'll be staying as my school sort that (I'm a teacher). Are you from the UK originally?

SMB is my desired location but, with financial commitments at home, I'm not sure I'll be able to afford it. I'm definitely going to share with someone in a similar situation. I've been told groceries and cars are expensive too! But it all sounds worth it from the laid back approach to life that we'll lead! That's one of the main reasons I'm taking the plunge!

Look forward to hearing back from you,

Carrie

ABCR Apr 19th 2015 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by kat_s (Post 11622726)
Hi Carrie, I'm moving to Cayman with work at the end of June, and if you want to, it would be great to catch up when you get there in August. I'm also a little nervous of the accommodation costs. Even though I currently work and live in Hong Kong where you pay a fortune for a tiny flat, I'm concerned that I won't be able to keep the same standard of accommodation. I'm looking a smb and the prices there appear extremely high for what you can get. Any advice on locations where single expats live would be appreciated! Thanks, Kat

Hi Kat,

Have you had a look at the Ecay site? You can sometimes see some real bargains on there - even on SMB!

kat_s Apr 20th 2015 8:29 am

Hi Carrie,

Yes, I'm originally from Cheshire but have been living out in HK for the past two and a half years. I'm also looking forward to island life and a change of pace from the UK and Hong Kong! Although I hear that there is still a great social scene! it just sounds like a great balance. Hopefully getting my initial accommodation details from my work this week, so I'll let you know where I end up!

Michaelxhermes May 24th 2015 11:26 am

Originally Posted by MissCarrieK (Post 11611271)
Thanks Gordon and Orangepants.

I'm moving over to Cayman in August to work as a teacher at Cayman Prep and High School.

If anyone else is moving around the same time and would like to make contact then please feel free!

Carrie

Miss Carrie,
I was glad to see your post. I am in the same situation as you. I just got offered a teaching job at Cayman Prep and High - computing. My wife and I are hoping to arrive on the Friday 14th.
I will try to PM you to say hello again.
Michael

Michaelxhermes May 24th 2015 11:30 am

Hello to you Kat,

I am in the same situation as you. I just got offered a teaching job at Cayman Prep and High - computing. My wife and I are hoping to arrive on the Friday 14th.

Very busy now preparing docs and planning the move.

Hope to meet up over there.

Michael

Gordon Barlow Aug 30th 2015 10:44 pm

Just for the record - and because I don't like leaving loose ends - let me say that MissCarrie arrived safely, has found a place to rent, and was round at our place for a drink the other night to bring us up to date. She must be pretty much "beached out" by now, and will probably (!) be glad to start work on Monday...

hermy Dec 14th 2015 5:08 pm

Thanks for the update Gordon, good to hear about the happy ending! :thumbsup: