Help! Cayman Confusion!

Old Apr 1st 2008, 6:39 pm
Forum Regular

Shish kebab is just really niceShish kebab is just really niceShish kebab is just really niceShish kebab is just really niceShish kebab is just really niceShish kebab is just really niceShish kebab is just really niceShish kebab is just really niceShish kebab is just really nice
Default Re: Help! Cayman Confusion!

Originally Posted by notimetowork
I'm looking for work in the Cayman Islands, as a legal secretary, which apparently is a job employers are crying out for. Not having any luck though, even with years of experience. Does anyone have any suggestions about who to contact?
Anne
If you look on the www.candw.ky web and on the front page of that look under cayman frequently used headlines click on attorneys and it will take you to a list of attorneys with there web sites you can look up their career section for any job listings they have or write to them direct. You could also subscribe to the local news paper to look up jobs at a charge for the online one that site is www.caycompass.com
Old Apr 1st 2008, 6:51 pm
Just Joined

notimetowork is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you, Shish Kebab - but I can't see anywhere on their home page about Cayman frequently used headlines???
Anne
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 8:58 am
Just Joined

notimetowork is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you, Shish Kebab - but I can't see anywhere on their home page about Cayman frequently used headlines???
Anne
No worries, I found it! Thank you!
Old Jun 20th 2008, 4:46 am
Just Joined

sherril is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile In Grand cayman trying to but proactiv solution

Hi guys, this is a funny one, I just relocated to the island from Scotland UK and have been trying to buy proactiv from the US but having problems with delivery etc,.. does anyone know anywhere on the Island that sells it? or where I can get it, I am attending a wedding in a few weeks and would really like to get a hold of it,.. sorry for the weird posting but you are all so helpfull!! Thanks a lot!!

xx
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 12:37 am
Just Joined

tainovino is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Help! Cayman Confusion!

Originally Posted by brendan77
Hi there,

my finance and I are looking to relocate from the u.k next year. We are interested in the Cayman Islands but are receiving a lot of mixed information in terms of how easy it is for U.K citizens to live and work there.

does anyone have any advice about these two topics?

can a u.k citizen go to the cayman islands and begin work, as the three cayman islands are a u.k dependent territory , or do you require a work permit of some kind?

any info would be much appreciated
I have just read all of the comments to your request regarding the Cayman Islands. As far as I know all the Caribbean islands are protective of there own people and their employment for very good reason. So the first thing you need to have are skills that they need as some other writers pointed out.

I would not recommend it because the last hurricane caused so much damage to very expensive properties it was a real disaster.

Have you been to the Cayman Islands before or to any other Caribbean island? I would recommend visiting a number of the larger islands for example Barbados, Trinidad, Antigua and Jamaica because they are all unique and going on a vacation is never like living in that very same place. I have been in the Caribbean for a long time now ans lived on many of the islands and countries surrounding the Caribbean Sea.

What type of job are you looking for ? that would really help your cause and us making suggestions to you. Thank you. One way I would suggest is to take a job as part of the crew of a private boat from the British Virgin Islands and then you can see many islands and experience sailing at the same time. Maybe 2 months might be the right time to do that and Village Cay Marina is one of the bases for that type of activity.

In general the Caribbean is expensive because everything is shipped into each island and tariffs have been increasing making food and all other items much more expensive than 10 years ago. New furniture is always a problem in the Caribbean as it has to be shipped into the islands. Secondhand furniture is always available on each island, of course.

I hope that you find this information useful.

Best regards,

Tainovino
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 8:43 pm
Just Joined

claudineb is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by caribsteve
Hi me and wife lived in cayman for over ten years, she got status as did our son but i never really bothered with it as i was classed as a person married to a caymanian.......however the permit process over there is a pain in the ar$e and alot of red tape nonsense you get no favors for being british i was on a permit for seven years annually renewable.....you would need to either find a job, accept it and get them to apply for a permit for you or go on holiday look for a job while there and get them to apply. the last option is supposed to be illegal but that is how most people do it. Beware it is a lovely place to live, but bloody expensive especially after hurricane ivan destroyed the place in 2004 everything has practically doubled.....but on the flip side the wages you earn will compensate for this, even though over the last few years we were there it got tougher and tougher to save any of it...we left this year in october to move to aus as there is so much more to do here and we have a three year old too......if you are free of kids, dont mind sharing accommodation, love drinking and/or diving it is a brilliant place to go for a couple of years, but dont bank on it for the long term it is near impossible to get residency or status and they now have a seven year roll over to inhibit you further from being eligible for either.

hope this helps, what do you both do i might be able to help you out with jobs, i now nearly everyone there!!!!!!!!!!

take it easy.

steve.
Hiya steve, how about teaching assistants, do they require them there? I am seriously looking to move there next summer to start the term in september and would be working as a teaching assistant, let me know what my troubles would be...ta

C
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 8:51 pm
Just Joined

I'm looking for work in the Cayman Islands, as a legal secretary, which apparently is a job employers are crying out for. Not having any luck though, even with years of experience. Does anyone have any suggestions about who to contact?
Anne
Hi, you can contact a company here on the Island called Steppingstones,.. they are a recruitment agency and they hire for all positions on Island. Type in stepping stones cayman in google and you will see it. I moved from the UK to Grand cayman a year ago so if you have any questions I am sure I can help!
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 8:54 pm
Just Joined

As a scottish couple we moved to the Island of Grand Caymana year ago, we are both employed full time and that is how we can stay on the Island, with full time permits ( residents). It is very difficult to obtain permits right now to come to the Island due to the financial state of the world and the fact that there are not as many jobs right now. I am in a good position to offer any advice or answer any questions or concers you have regarding where to rent, cost of living etc,.. feel free to get in touch!
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 10:42 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by sherril
Hi, you can contact a company here on the Island called Steppingstones,.. they are a recruitment agency and they hire for all positions on Island. Type in stepping stones cayman in google and you will see it. I moved from the UK to Grand cayman a year ago so if you have any questions I am sure I can help!
Thanks alot for that Sherill, So do you think it is possible to get such a job as a TA? I will apply to them sooner the time .ike January next year maybe...I have a few friends who are married and living there permanently too, and they recommend it highly, any information you may have for me I am just catching at straws here...let me have it please. thanks again I will google the agency. Stay safe
Old Mar 24th 2009, 12:09 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by claudineb
Thanks alot for that Sherill, So do you think it is possible to get such a job as a TA? I will apply to them sooner the time .ike January next year maybe...I have a few friends who are married and living there permanently too, and they recommend it highly, any information you may have for me I am just catching at straws here...let me have it please. thanks again I will google the agency. Stay safe
No problem :P

By next January things will have/ should be back to normal. When I first arrived on the Island there were more jobs than there were people, now thats not the case, its 3 people per one job!

I know by next June the biggest brand new school will be built on the Island on Frank Sound road which is up near Rum Point. I work there for Tom Jones Construction as office manager so I will keep you up to date on the progress and let you know when the government start to advertise jobs. Its a local government run school, it has 7 buildings, a pool, a dentist, auditoriums, honestly you name it the school will have it so I know for sure there will be jobs going for TA. XX
Old Mar 24th 2009, 12:22 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by sherril
No problem :P

By next January things will have/ should be back to normal. When I first arrived on the Island there were more jobs than there were people, now thats not the case, its 3 people per one job!

I know by next June the biggest brand new school will be built on the Island on Frank Sound road which is up near Rum Point. I work there for Tom Jones Construction as office manager so I will keep you up to date on the progress and let you know when the government start to advertise jobs. Its a local government run school, it has 7 buildings, a pool, a dentist, auditoriums, honestly you name it the school will have it so I know for sure there will be jobs going for TA. XX
Sherill...You are god's sent...Thank you so much my dear, please keep me in mind, dont forget me. I will pm you my email address...I thank you again. xxxx mwah mwah mwah
Old Mar 24th 2009, 12:27 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by claudineb
Sherill...You are god's sent...Thank you so much my dear, please keep me in mind, dont forget me. I will pm you my email address...I thank you again. xxxx mwah mwah mwah
No problem at all,..:P you are welcome. If you need any more information let me know, have a great day. x
Old Mar 25th 2009, 10:34 pm
Forum Regular

Shish kebab is just really niceShish kebab is just really niceShish kebab is just really niceShish kebab is just really niceShish kebab is just really niceShish kebab is just really niceShish kebab is just really niceShish kebab is just really niceShish kebab is just really nice

Thought this web site may be helpful for any one in need of some info on moving to the cayman islands
http://www.caymannewresident.com/index.html
Old Mar 26th 2009, 5:38 pm
Forum Regular

Caymanite is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

I am willing to give my assistance & advice to anyone wanting to relocate here, I work for government, first came out 1999.

When I came out I had help from someone living here, it does help, it can seem confusing & even a little frightening if you are not sure of where to start but it is not all that tough
Old Apr 9th 2009, 8:23 am
Just Joined

mr_ed is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there,
I am on the way to securing a job and hope to move out there soon. One problem I'm trying to get more information about is, my wife who will come out as a dependant on my work permit -- will she be able to look for work? If she finds work, does she have to leave whilst they process the work permit? I've heard it's possible to work for the government without getting a permit- is this realistic? My wife is a qualified HR (human resources) manager, CIPD professional qualification. She also has general experience in retail and teaching english but obviously would prefer to get a job in the HR field. What are the chances/ best avenues to pursue?

Thanks for any help/advice you can offer.

Ed