Government schools

Old Jan 9th 2016, 5:48 am
Just Joined

Scorpio_UK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Government schools

We're moving to Grand Cayman soon and have a child that should be starting school in September. However, it doesn't look like we'll be able to get a place at our preferred private schools. Can anyone advise on what the government primary schools are like, particularly Georgetown? Are they ok?? We should be eligible for a place at a government school.

Thanks!
Old Jan 9th 2016, 2:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Government schools

As a general statement, ANY private school is better than a government school. What are your "preferred" private schools, and why?
Old Jan 9th 2016, 3:16 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for your response!

Well, a preference would be for a British curriculum school, although this isn't essential. But there is also the religious aspect - we're not Seventh Day Adventists for example! And there's also location, if we end up living in Georgetown/South Sound I'm thinking it could be inconvenient for the school to be in West Bay or vice versa. I have found out that a couple of schools definitely don't have places and I'm not sure if the others do or don't at the moment. So I'm interested to know how good (bad?) the government primary schools are. Avoiding the huge cost of the private schools would also be a bonus.
Old Jan 9th 2016, 4:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I don't have first-hand knowledge of any schools, these days, so I can only pass my hearsay on to you. Government schools have a discipline problem, in general. You haven't told me how old your child is - whether he/she needs a primary school or a secondary one. Also, what area you or your spouse will be working in and living in. You should be deciding now, which area you'd prefer to live in; and your prospective employer(s) should be advising you on that. Also, does your child have any special problems - dyslexia or ADHD, for instance?

I need to know more about what your preferred schools are, and why. If you are Protestant, how strongly do you feel about sending the kid to the Catholic school? Or vice versa?

Have you read the New Resident magazine online yet?
Old Jan 10th 2016, 9:46 am
Just Joined

Yes I've had a look at new resident. My husband will be working in Georgetown, I won't be working initially, if I did eventually it would most likely be in Georgetown also. Our child should be starting primary (age 4) this October and has no specific learning needs. Ideally, I'd prefer a non-sectarian school but am somewhat open to any Christian school. I know that Cayman Prep and St Ignatius are both full.
Old Jan 10th 2016, 3:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Well, I don't really have anything to offer besides what's in "New Resident". Your husband's employer and co-workers are the people to turn to now.

Good luck with it all.
Old Jan 10th 2016, 7:16 pm
Just Joined

Ok thanks anyway.
Old Jun 15th 2016, 6:25 pm
Just Joined

Brad_101 is an unknown quantity at this point

hi, am also moving to Cayman in the new year with a 4yr old. What was the outcome on your search for schools and did you end up with a place at a private school or a government school? thanks!
Old Jun 15th 2016, 8:30 pm
Just Joined

Hi Brad!

We have got a place in a very good private primary. We seem to have been very lucky as there are generally long waiting lists to get into the good private schools. The government schools aren't held in very high regard and nearly all expats send their kids to private schools and Caymanians do as well if they can. Saying that, some expats have been known to send their kids to government schools and been happy with them. I know of one new family that is planning to. You can only send your kids to the government schools if you work for the government in some capacity and I believe not until the child is 5 going on 6. The government schools work on catchment areas. Prospect and Red Bay are relatively good whereas Georgetown primary is not good. The catchment area for Red Bay extends through the very popular South South/Georgetown South area. You should start contacting private schools now and get on the waiting list if you want a place - CIS, Cayman Prep and St Ignatius are the good schools. There are a few other private schools which may not have waiting lists but are not very desirable. An option might be to go to one of the Montessori schools that go up to 5 or 6 to tide you over until you get a longer term place.

Hope that helps!!
Old Jun 16th 2016, 2:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Scorpio_UK
... CIS, Cayman Prep and St Ignatius are the good schools.
Yes, that's true - but I have an idea that CIS is an American school (that is, has a US syllabus and exams, not British). You might want to check that. There are also some seriously Christian schools. Prep is Presbyterian, Ignatius is RC, but the parents don't have to belong to those churches - so I don't count them as seriously Christian!

(Oh, and by the way, Scorpio: it's George Town - two words. Georgetown is in Guyana!)
Old Jun 21st 2016, 9:05 am
Just Joined

CaymanRun is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Brad!

We have got a place in a very good private primary. We seem to have been very lucky as there are generally long waiting lists to get into the good private schools. The government schools aren't held in very high regard and nearly all expats send their kids to private schools and Caymanians do as well if they can. Saying that, some expats have been known to send their kids to government schools and been happy with them. I know of one new family that is planning to. You can only send your kids to the government schools if you work for the government in some capacity and I believe not until the child is 5 going on 6. The government schools work on catchment areas. Prospect and Red Bay are relatively good whereas Georgetown primary is not good. The catchment area for Red Bay extends through the very popular South South/Georgetown South area. You should start contacting private schools now and get on the waiting list if you want a place - CIS, Cayman Prep and St Ignatius are the good schools. There are a few other private schools which may not have waiting lists but are not very desirable. An option might be to go to one of the Montessori schools that go up to 5 or 6 to tide you over until you get a longer term place.

Hope that helps!!
Hi - I am also looking at schools for a 6 year old. Did you apply from the UK or are you over there already?
I am not due over until August, already contact CIS who tell me there's a waiting list. Not to sure of the best way of going about it. I don't want him to come over and no school be available
Old Jun 22nd 2016, 2:06 pm
Just Joined

Hi,
I am here now but I would recommend you start the process and try to get on the waiting lists before you arrive. You may be lucky and a bunch of 6 year olds leave island over the summer. The other good school I forgot to mention is Montessori by the Sea which goes up to age 14. As a shorter term option you could look at the school(s?) in West Bay and Truth for Youth until a place in a preferred school became available.
Old Jun 23rd 2016, 8:59 am
Just Joined

CaymanRun is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all help!
Old Jun 27th 2016, 1:57 pm
Just Joined

Just realised I think I meant Triple C as a school to consider rather than Truth for Youth...although I don't know much about either!
Old Jun 27th 2016, 9:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Just realised I think I meant Triple C as a school to consider rather than Truth for Youth...although I don't know much about either!
Both very strongly Christian - but different denominations, I think. Both have good academic reputations.