Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Cayman Islands
Reload this Page >

Getting employment at a later date

Getting employment at a later date

Old Jul 5th 2013, 7:35 pm
Just Joined

Bexter13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Getting employment at a later date

My husband and I are looking to move to Cayman with our 2 young children.

Can anyone tell me if I go on my husbands work visa am I able to seek work in a couple of years once the children are at school.
Old Jul 6th 2013, 9:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting employment at a later date

Sure - you can apply for jobs then the company that wants to employ you will apply for a work permit for you.
Old Jul 7th 2013, 4:53 am
Just Joined

Bexter13 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks that's great to know.
Old Jul 11th 2013, 5:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bexter13
My husband and I are looking to move to Cayman with our 2 young children. Can anyone tell me if I go on my husbands work visa am I able to seek work in a couple of years once the children are at school.
Check that your husband's job entitles him to have three dependents. It depends on his salary.
Old Mar 17th 2014, 11:55 pm
Just Joined

clairecat is an unknown quantity at this point

Ar you still on CI?
we will be arriving in april and need all the help we can get…i.e. schools, housing cars?
how did you cope?
Did all work out with visas? My husbands visa has gone thru, but I haven't got one yet? we have 2 small boys 7, 9 need to find them schools and add them to visa as dependants too…the stress!!!
Getting a bit scared now tbh!!!
Old Mar 18th 2014, 1:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Claire. Your husband's firm is supposed to do all that you need - Residence Permits for you and the kids, school options, possible places to live. They should also put you all up at a hotel for a week or so while you find your feet and suss out accommodation and car. You've never said what work and position your husband will have, or what work you yourself can do. Wives can't just walk into any job! I think you or he need to get on the blower to his employers and sort things out.
Old Mar 18th 2014, 6:36 am
Just Joined

Thanks Gordon...they have sorted his visas and accommodation, but we are not going till a month after him, I have 3 interviews set up for when I arrive...I think my hubby does need to ask the question about our visas.
How long have you lived there?
Old Mar 18th 2014, 1:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

OK, that makes sense, to let him go first. Good luck with it all.

We've been here 36 years. You could check out my blog to get a feel for what sort of life you can expect here. You can pretty much tell from the titles of the posts which are about Cayman and which not.
Old Mar 18th 2014, 2:07 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Gordon...my husband has emailed his company with some questions...they sed they will sort out any niggles we may have.

I had a quick look at your blog pages last night ...will have a better look later

36 yrs...wow!!!! U must really love it there!!
Old Mar 18th 2014, 3:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by clairecat
36 yrs...wow!!!! U must really love it there!!
Actually, you will be pleased to know WHY we stayed, after an initial intention to move on after 3 years. The reason is that it was a perfect place to raise our young son (aged 2 1/2 when we arrived). Cayman has changed a lot since then, and the government is not at all welcoming to foreign workers - BUT from all reports it's still a super place to bring up children.