Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Cayman Islands
Reload this Page >

Electrical Appliances / Voltage

Electrical Appliances / Voltage

Old Mar 24th 2018, 8:23 am
Just Joined

Simonmccrum is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Electrical Appliances / Voltage

Looking for some advice please.

It looks like Cayman Islands operates the same electrical power supply as the US. I presume that means for all standard UK appliances I will need a voltage converter?? Would this apply to all electrical items like TV's, computers, kitchen kits like kitchen aids, magimix, etc?

Would it be best to buy these converters in England before shipping out? There seems to be quite a range of different converters any views on which type are better than others?

Many thanks!
Old Mar 24th 2018, 9:51 am
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Electrical Appliances / Voltage

I dont know if converters are cheaper in the island, im sure someone like Gordon will be along but generically:

There are 2 sorts of transformer, EI and torroidal, torroidal are a lot more efficient, silent and run cool, always try to use them.

Converting 120 to 220 is on very small appliances possibly automatic - read the tiny text on their power supplies, if they say input can be 110-240 volts no issue... On small items you can use a converter. A converter needs to be able to handle your max load plus at least 30% possibky 50% but just when you thought xxl! If they are seriously oversized they are inefficient. Be aware of the formula a times v equals w - amps times volts equals watts so you can see in murica, their plugs can ony handle half the power of european ones.

But - if it heats or cools anything or is bulky it is probably beyond the capabilities of a small converter, buy a 120 volt one. EG kettles, hairdryers
Old Mar 24th 2018, 5:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

I can't add to what Grenada has posted. All I know about this sort of thing is what I read on Cayman Resident, which you have probably (i.e. should have) read already. I'm not by any stretch a techie! As a general rule, I wouldn't recommend bringing electrical equipment here; pretty much everything is available locally, and it's usually a risky nuisance, shipping stuff over. Check out the link below, and also eCay for second-hand stuff being sold by people leaving.
https://caymanresident.com/move/what...-not-to-bring/
Old Mar 25th 2018, 2:33 am
Just Joined

Thank you Gordon and Grenada!

Yes I have read the Cayman Resident pages, incredibly useful information on there. Looks like leaving electrical kit behind is the way to go but that means a rather expensive outlay to purchase new TV's, music systems, home entertainment systems, kitchen kit etc!

Happy days!
Old Mar 25th 2018, 2:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Simon. I'm wondering if you've ever visited here before now, to suss out what's readily available and what's not. My advice was only general, but stuff like custom-designed music and home entertainment systems might well be an exception to the general rule. As for "kitchen kit" - I don't know what you mean by that term. I'm not sure it would be a good idea at all, to bring a fridge, stove, microwave, toaster and dishwasher. Or a washer & dryer either. Or a car.

How long are you intending to stay here? (Meaning, what's your intended annual amortisation period for equipment you do have to buy locally?)
Old Mar 25th 2018, 9:26 am
Just Joined

Gordon, thanks again for your response.

I haven't been to Cayman Islands, I'm having some exploratory chats at the moment and so may we'll be jumping the gun, but thought I would do some preliminary homework. If we were to move it would be for at least 5 years.

By kitchen kit I don't mean the larger 'white' goods it's more things like mixers/blenders, ice makers, toasters etc. They don't cost too much to buy again but then we have to work out what to do with all the kit we currently have. When/if we return to the UK we would need buy them all afresh again or find a way to store them for a few years.

We have quite a high-end music system, it's not custom made or anything too special but would cost a fair amount to 'replace'. And of course there the usual plethora of televisions, surround sound system, PS4's, DVD players that a few families with 3 children seem to accumulate!

What I am really trying to establish I guess is whether we should / could be buying a load of converters and if so do we buy them in England before shipment and also are any particular types or brands bettered viewed than others?
Old Mar 25th 2018, 11:30 am
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

I use bronson++ HE converters which are torroidal [careful, not all of the small ones they or others make are torroidal and i coukdnt see if their step up and down jobs were torroidal on amazon] but i use them very happily to convert 220 to 120 here in the caribbean. I think you need something like this, as they say - other vendors are available.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tacima-110-...SIN=B0009K6M62

Why torroidal - they are silent cool and save you money.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toro...d_transformers
Old Mar 26th 2018, 7:41 pm
Forum Regular

TandD2017 is an unknown quantity at this point

Converters on island are extremely expensive - buy them before you come. Most stuff works OK on 110 V e.g. my lap top and mobile charging. However her hair dryer is useless, her hair tongs don't work nor do my hair clippers. So basically some stuff works and some doesn't. Just buy a few cheap converters from Amazon/e-bay before coming over for every day items but seek better advice for the expensive stuff
Old Mar 27th 2018, 7:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

There's a forum on here called "The Lab' where all the techies can answer your questions. There's probably an article in the Wiki area about electrical appliances.
Old Mar 30th 2018, 5:19 am
Just Joined

Thank you all, really helpful advice, it's really hugely appreciated!