Default Re: Cruise Pier. Yes or No?

Originally Posted by BEVS
Sorted
Much obliged
Old May 29th 2019, 8:26 pm
Forum Regular

TandD2017 is an unknown quantity at this point

Having recently taken a cruise two things strike me: i) We hardly spent any money on land, most of your spend is through the cruise company, obviously a portion of that does end up in the coffers of the country being visited but it is a minimal amount. ii) One of the ports had a non concrete dock, wooden structure on concrete supports i.e. to the layman posed minimal environmental damage. Yes it wouldn't survive a Hurricane but the trade off would be preferable I would think and there are completely retractable floating versions that are not even cemented to the sea bed & can be removed for a Hurricane to be rolled back out after. I just don't get why this place is insisting on damaging ecology for what seems minimal gain. But hey, it's not my country and therefore not really my place to question it. I am off home in a few weeks anyway, let them do what they bleedin' well like!
Old May 30th 2019, 12:25 am
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

The cruise co’s themselves maintain and publish stats on passenger spends per destination. Here its 25us/cargo item [passenger] and they pay 2us to the country is a passenger gets off... Local tour co’s typically get 50% of the fees the ship charges for tours etc. Here some operators wont do business direct with the cruise co;s and those that do bus their customers away from competition into exclusive fleecing sessions pretty sharp.

its peanuts compared with any sort of hotel. Its also noticeable that the other staying tourists dont appreciate the polluting drunk cruise ship cargo, as they move and graze as a herd devouring and despoiling.

All a bit flowery i realise, but its as i get to hear it.
Old Jun 1st 2019, 8:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

The anti-piers movement has garnered enough signatures against the project to force a referendum, but the signatures now all have to be authenticated. There is some fear among government workers that signatories will be discriminated against in their workplace. Cayman has a long tradition of political vengeance! Watch this space...
https://caymannewsservice.com/2019/0...r-retribution/
Old Jun 7th 2019, 5:44 pm
Forum Regular

Jamesy5008 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesy5008 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesy5008 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesy5008 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesy5008 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesy5008 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesy5008 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesy5008 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesy5008 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesy5008 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesy5008 has a reputation beyond repute

https://caymannewsservice.com/2019/0...ance/#comments

So what I take from this is that the Gov can 'devalue' the importance of the port and decide it isn't worth voting on? Wow! Pretty powerful piece of legislation must cover that decision making process!
Old Dec 6th 2019, 5:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Just to bring overseas observers up to date with our port situation... The referendum is being challenged in court by opponents of the port, so the referendum is postponed until after the court rules. The Public Holiday on 19th December, announced/gazetted by the Cabinet to allow people time to vote (which would take us 30 minutes including travelling time), is still on! The main beneficiaries of that will be our underworked and overpaid government employees, and I'm sure that's no accident! There will be another Public Holiday when another date is decided, after the court case. What a shambles!

The terms of the referendum are loaded to favour a "Yes" vote - for the $300-million port - because abstaining from the vote will be counted as "Yes". Some real political trickery, there, but the politicians in power are desperate to win at all costs. Nobody I know or have spoken to is in favour of the mad project.
Old Dec 13th 2019, 7:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Here's a general opinion from a newspaper in the Dominican Republic. Interesting, but nothing new.
https://dominicantoday.com/dr/opinio...-significance/
Old Apr 24th 2020, 10:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Just for the record... This Virus emergency has put the kibosh on the wildly expensive Port proposal - hopefully forever. It's dead in the water, to coin a phrase.
Old Apr 25th 2020, 12:01 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow
Just for the record... This Virus emergency has put the kibosh on the wildly expensive Port proposal - hopefully forever. It's dead in the water, to coin a phrase.
Congratulations!