Cruise Pier. Yes or No?

Old Sep 27th 2018, 12:21 am
Forum Regular

TandD2017 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cruise Pier. Yes or No?

I appreciate the immediate benefit that may occur by by building a cruise pier but can't help thinking the long term costs to the environment and therefore future generations of Caymanians is too great.

oops - spelt pier wrong in the title

Last edited by TandD2017; Sep 27th 2018 at 12:50 am. Reason: Spelling mistake
Old Sep 27th 2018, 7:21 am
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Cruise Pier. Yes or No?

When was built in Grenada a few years back, apart from the issue of the cost of building it and how much money people get paid till late and complaints of corruption etc. yes there is the issue of cruise ships and their pollution if that’s what you call customers LOL.

seriously they do burn very nasty polluting oils and some of them do pollute the local area despite their marvelous claims and it’s also true of the more cruise ships you have the more you will have a lot of drunk tourists around but there is a benefit to the local economy, it’s a balancing act I guess .

I remember seeing a statistic that one cruise ship for entire season equates to one hotel room for entire season in terms of income send to my mind it’s not terribly beneficial, but the ship is more polluting
Old Sep 28th 2018, 7:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

The proposal to build long piers in Cayman to accommodate the super-ships (6000 passengers each plus 2000 crew) will kill all the coral in and near our little blue-water harbour, and will flood our little capital with pedestrians to the point where many of the passengers won't even want to come ashore! The duty-free shops will make more money, and are supporting the venture; the favoured construction companies will make a lot of money from the US$250 million capital cost of the project. There will be an uncomfortable amount of greed and corruption involved. Most Caribbean politicians don't do nuthin' for nuthin'!
Old Sep 29th 2018, 1:51 am
Forum Regular

TandD2017 is an unknown quantity at this point

It seems to me if the pier is built the cruise ship industry sends 4 ships instead of 7 to bring the same amount of passengers. Reducing their costs but Cayman environment is the price. The risk is they don't bring their passengers without the pier and the cruise industry numbers for the island fall. At 100 bucks per passenger per day (for cruise passengers) I think you are better investing in alternative schemes that bring more dollar return per dollar spent i.e. attract overnight stayers that spend vastly more per day.
Old Oct 14th 2018, 1:28 pm
Forum Regular

Jamesy5008 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesy5008 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesy5008 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesy5008 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesy5008 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesy5008 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesy5008 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesy5008 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesy5008 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesy5008 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesy5008 has a reputation beyond repute

No. No. A thousand times no. I've not been here long but long enough to have worked out the politics of this island and it's no different to anywhere else. The rich will get richer. The people calling for the dock appear to me to be the major landowners and beneficiaries here. There will be no discerning benefits to the vast majority. The town already cannot cope with the cruise passengers. Stingray city et al, will be overwhelmed. It took one event last Thursday to bring the town to a complete standstill.

My wife and I love this island. But the obvious nepotism, cronyism, corruption and greed make it more akin to a banana republic or an African state.

Sign the petition (for what it's worth).
Old Dec 5th 2018, 9:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Jamesy. The "marl road" is telling us that the thing is a done deal, and that too much money has been paid under the counter for the project to be abandoned now, and that the contractors have already been promised the job. Elections aren't for another three or four years. Corruption is unstoppable, it seems. Sadly, you're correct in your thinking that the docks will destroy our way of life. Ah well, what can you do, eh?
Old May 16th 2019, 7:45 pm
Forum Regular

Jamesy5008 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesy5008 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesy5008 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesy5008 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesy5008 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesy5008 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesy5008 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesy5008 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesy5008 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesy5008 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesy5008 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TandD2017
It seems to me if the pier is built the cruise ship industry sends 4 ships instead of 7 to bring the same amount of passengers. Reducing their costs but Cayman environment is the price. The risk is they don't bring their passengers without the pier and the cruise industry numbers for the island fall. At 100 bucks per passenger per day (for cruise passengers) I think you are better investing in alternative schemes that bring more dollar return per dollar spent i.e. attract overnight stayers that spend vastly more per day.
For the price for a night in some hotels here, you could get a full weeks holiday in The Canaries! By dropping the prices, you would get more custom. People from Europe shun Cayman as a destination not because of the distance but because of the astronomical prices. But basic economics seems to allude some people. Greed is good.
Old May 16th 2019, 7:52 pm
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

The economics don’t work that way for hotels. Here they are all busily upgrading to 5 stars, we have 4 new hotels in construction. The profit from wealthier customers outweighs that of the proles.

Also the environmental impact of fewer wealthier tourists staying is better, here the average spend per cruise ship cargo item (guest) is about 25us so they aren’t much benefit.

Put the port cost per passenger up to say 3 or 4 us and watch the cruise co’s scuttle off and desecrate elsewhere.
Old May 26th 2019, 6:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

I have doubts about the economic benefit to the country that hosts visiting cruise ships. Minimal I say !
Old May 28th 2019, 10:21 pm
Forum Regular

Well those opposed have now reached the threshold to trigger a referendum. Crack open the popcorn and let the machinations begin!
Old May 28th 2019, 10:54 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Cruise Pier. Yes or No?

oops - spelt pier wrong in the title
Sorted

Old May 28th 2019, 10:59 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

…. i.e. attract overnight stayers that spend vastly more per day.
Which means more hotels and more aircraft, so construction, and construction, …. And if the strategy" is successful, it will mean more restaurants, so even more construction. And there will likely be a corresponding increase in pleasure boats and jetskis meaning more pollution, both of both the chemical and noise varieties.

You can't win.
Old May 28th 2019, 11:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jamesy5008
Well those opposed have now reached the threshold to trigger a referendum. Crack open the popcorn and let the machinations begin!
It will take government a l-o-n-g time to authenticate all the signatories. When I signed, nobody checked my ID or whether I was qualified to vote. And it's taken the best part of a year to get the sigs of just 25% of the electorate!
Old May 28th 2019, 11:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Which means more hotels and more aircraft, so construction, and construction, …. And if the strategy" is successful, it will mean more restaurants, so even more construction. And there will likely be a corresponding increase in pleasure boats and jetskis meaning more pollution, both of both the chemical and noise varieties.
And more fierce jostling by the boatloads full of visitors to get close enough to the tribe of semi-tame stingrays to feed them. Ah well, common sense flies out the window when people in authority dodge their responsibilities...
Old May 29th 2019, 12:27 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow
It will take government a l-o-n-g time to authenticate all the signatories. When I signed, nobody checked my ID or whether I was qualified to vote. And it's taken the best part of a year to get the sigs of just 25% of the electorate!
The longer the better. Maybe the dock idea will just float away......excuse the awful pun.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.