British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Cayman Islands (https://britishexpats.com/forum/cayman-islands-177/)
-   -   Is caymen on the EU financial blacklist? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/cayman-islands-177/caymen-eu-financial-blacklist-923959/)

uk_grenada Apr 8th 2019 12:39 pm

Is caymen on the EU financial blacklist?

Here, the government has just repealed a number of laws assisting offshore companies, this is expected to cause some companies to relocate and lose jobs for locals in the admin/consultancy for those companies.

This is to get Grenada off the eu blacklist, or i think greylist so called. Where is Caymen in this list? If it isnt being painted black or grey how? Do the local govt care about the EU? Im guessing here the EU has threatened to withdraw some of its charity.

Pulaski Apr 8th 2019 12:56 pm

Re: Is caymen on the EU financial blacklist?

Originally Posted by uk_grenada (Post 12667529)
... Do the local govt care about the EU? Im guessing here the EU has threatened to withdraw some of its charity.

I think it is the US too - the US has similar issues with off-shore corporations, iffy trusts, and shell companies.

Can offshore financial centers afford to thumb their nose at countries accounting for 47% of the global economy? And that's only the EU, USA, and Canada. If you add in other countries with similar attitudes towards offshore financial centers, such as Australia and NZ, you're almost certainly looking a over 50%.

And then there are some countries that are even more draconian, such as Argentina.

uk_grenada Apr 8th 2019 1:37 pm

Global financial markets are a lot about giving 2 fingers to the taxman in big countries but with the emphasis on avoidance not evasion. If you choose to engineer your profits to be made in saudi arabia so be it. If amazon and google choose to exploit laws that make the channel islands or ireland the place to lower your taxes thats their choice. The rich have always and will always exploit, all big countries can do is ask for proof that their rules were followed [compliance] but once its offshore its not their business so to try to force small tax havens for certain types of info is not on imho, read this to see what a travesty / farce the whole business in the eu is ... https://www-cdn.oxfam.org/s3fs-publi...81117-en_0.pdf

Pulaski Apr 8th 2019 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by uk_grenada (Post 12667557)
Global financial markets are a lot about giving 2 fingers to the taxman in big countries but with the emphasis on [tax] avoidance not evasion. If you choose to engineer your [taxable] profits to be made in saudi arabia so be it. If amazon and google choose to exploit [tax] laws that make the channel islands or ireland the place to lower your taxes thats their choice. The rich have always and will always exploit, all big countries can do is ask for proof that their [tax] rules were followed [compliance] but once its offshore its not their business so to try to force small tax havens for certain types of info is not on imho, read this to see what a travesty / farce the whole business in the eu is ... https://www-cdn.oxfam.org/s3fs-publi...81117-en_0.pdf

And there's your problem! You think it's only about tax. :lol:

uk_grenada Apr 8th 2019 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12667559)
And there's your problem! You think it's only about tax. :lol:

No - read the article from oxfam then agree or disagree. Of course i care about money laundering.

Pulaski Apr 8th 2019 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by uk_grenada (Post 12667582)
No - read the article from oxfam then agree or disagree. Of course i care about money laundering.

The Oxfam wish list appears to be mostly comprise either current or former British possessions, and fragments of Yugoslavia. :rofl:

Gordon Barlow Apr 8th 2019 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12667535)
Can offshore financial centers afford to thumb their nose at countries accounting for 47% of the global economy? And that's only the EU, USA, and Canada. If you add in other countries with similar attitudes towards offshore financial centers, such as Australia and NZ, you're almost certainly looking a over 50%.

Well, yes and no, Pulaski. Something one always has to bear in mind is that high-tax countries' attempts (!) to drive offshore havens out of business are drafted and passed by the havens' major clients. I know more about the British use of places like Cayman than I do about other nationalities' use, but - and this is my personal estimate; you'll never see a formal chart! - a good 20% of members of the UK House of Commons and 50-60% of the House of Lords do business with us. Go figure, eh? BE rules don't allow me to publish URLs of my blog-posts on the subject (and fair enough), but if you Google a few pertinent words (offshore tax havens, or similar) plus my name, you can find out more on the topic. Otherwise, I could PM you, probably.

A few years back, in one of the posts, I asked a question about who sold ISIS all those brand-new Toyotas we saw them driving up and down the deserts - and speculated on the answer. Almost certainly the CIA, I suggested, through some unidentifiable tax-haven. Could have been Cayman (several international intelligence agencies have agents here), but all the offshore havens keep their secrets pretty well, so we'll probably never know. Unless some insider blows the whistle, which would give him or her a life-span of 24 hours, if that!

In another of my posts - I forget which - I told the story of a business acquaintance who was greeted at a cocktail party in Brazil with the words, "It's good to meet someone from Cayman. We get most of our oil from you, you know." Cayman has zero oil of its own, but some of its registered companies buy and sell oil on the open market - and some of it ended up in Brazil, apparently. The only way to stop that happening would be to close down the free market in commodities. Not likely, at the moment, surely.