Cayman islands life

Old Apr 14th 2010, 11:11 am
Just Joined

londongirl2010 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cayman islands life

Hi there

I am in the process of securing a great job in the legal profession with excellent pay in the Cayman islands (currently living in London and was made redundant a few months ago).

I love the sun and the sea and have previously lived in hot countries and really enjoyed it. I have been reading the not very abundant information about the Cayman islands and it sounds pretty good! My only concern is that I would be moving there alone and knowing nobody. As great at a good climate and fabulous beaches are I am a bit scare of being lonely. I currently enjoy a very active social life and for me that is very important. I have lived in a few countries, I am used and enjoy meeting new people but I am a bit concerned about the size of the place and the fact that a lot of people emigrating there seem to be couples or young families (I am a single female in my late 30s). I was wondering if somebody had a similar experience or can give me some advice as to how easy/difficult is meeting new people in the expat community there.

Thank you very much in anticipation!
Old Apr 15th 2010, 1:40 am
BE Enthusiast

dfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cayman islands life

I don´t know the Caymans but I did spend 3 years in Bermuda which I think is even a little larger, and suggest you think carefully before you jump in, as these islands being very small, obviously can´t offer the kind of social life that you may be used to in the UK ,and if you are single woman it could be difficult. I´ve known single women who took jobs in the Turks and Caicos islands and left in less than a year as they were bored out of their minds. For example you can´t go out of town for the weekend to do something different, as the place is so small, there´s nowhere else to go etc! They found Bermuda a little better but still found it boring so left there after a short while also. If you can´t actually take a trip there to have a look around first, then why not ask the company who plans to send you there to give you the names of some people there who you can call and have a chat with?
Old Apr 15th 2010, 2:10 pm
Just Joined

Deb-123 will become famous soon enoughDeb-123 will become famous soon enough

Whilst I've never been to the Cayman Islands, my advice would be to go to the yacht club. Sailors tend to be sociable, often spending as much time "shooting the breeze" in the bar as out on the water! Even people who are not into sailing will be members as the clubs usually run active social programmes.

Good luck - it sounds like a wonderful opportunity.
Old Apr 16th 2010, 8:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

I've lived in Cayman for quite a while and it's a pretty sociable place, there are lots of nationalities there and of course you'll meet Caymanian people too who are very welcoming and friendly.
Get involved in a sport, touch rugby is popular and has a good social group and running, cyling and triathlons. And of course, the all important water sports too - take up scuba if you don't dive already. It is a reasonably healthy environment.
It is family orientated but people are more outgoing and sociable and there are a lot of single people there too.
With the recession, which has affected the islands too, perhaps people don't go out as much as they used to but it's still lively for Happy Hour and people will always drink

If you have any questions, please ask..
Old Apr 20th 2010, 9:10 pm
Just Joined

caymancop is an unknown quantity at this point

Londongirl, we absolutely HAVE to talk. My home is in the Cayman Islands, I'm english too, and there is much information you absolutely have to know before going to Cayman, or accepting a job there. Trust me, you need to know this factual knowledge. either PM me on here, email me at [email protected] or even call me on <snip>. please, please contact me, there is much to know. unless you have lived there recently, one cannot comment on the place.

Last edited by Sue; Apr 21st 2010 at 12:14 am. Reason: tel no removed for privacy. Its not wise to publish your telephone number on a public forum
Old Apr 20th 2010, 9:13 pm
Just Joined

Orangepants, do you really think that is an accurate assessment?
Old Apr 21st 2010, 9:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cayancop
Orangepants, do you really think that is an accurate assessment?
It is purely subjective of my experience of the social life in Cayman yes, and it is accurate according to how I have experienced it. I have lived in Cayman for 14 years and have enjoyed a marvellous lifestyle and had a blast. If OP is expecting to transplant London life to Cayman then no - it is very different but the OP is educated, experienced and has lived overseas before and probably has realistic expectations.

The OP did not ask about the cultural, political and socio-economic issues that Cayman is facing. Your username implies a connection to the police and therefore you would be in a far superior position to inform on these issues if she had asked.
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 4:08 pm
Just Joined

OrangePants, I think you may be right. The point for me is that pretty much as soon as you get involved with government on any level there, your impression changes wildly, but you don't have to be connected to the police to notice multiple gang related gun crimes, rising numbers of robberies, and a police force that doesn't really seem to be able, or willing, or motivated, to fix it. Once the first random kidnap/rape/burning occurs, others may not be far behind. If all one has to do is interact with expats on cayman in a high level social enbironment, then I'm sure it's fine, but once that bubble bursts, the place is going to the dogs..... sorry to be so blunt, but you only have to read the headlines to see it....
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 12:52 am
BE Enthusiast

dfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caymancop
OrangePants, I think you may be right. The point for me is that pretty much as soon as you get involved with government on any level there, your impression changes wildly, but you don't have to be connected to the police to notice multiple gang related gun crimes, rising numbers of robberies, and a police force that doesn't really seem to be able, or willing, or motivated, to fix it. Once the first random kidnap/rape/burning occurs, others may not be far behind. If all one has to do is interact with expats on cayman in a high level social enbironment, then I'm sure it's fine, but once that bubble bursts, the place is going to the dogs..... sorry to be so blunt, but you only have to read the headlines to see it....
HI Caymancop
I´m always interested to hear about what´s going on in places that used to be paradises; could you please let me know, where on the web I can read about current affairs in the Caymans? Thanks
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 9:40 pm
Forum Regular

Lanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond repute

Orangepants and caymancop

Please can you elaborate on the problems that the Island is currently facing political and social-economical I too am currently considering employment on the island. I have recently been listening to Radio Cayman online I've not heard anything to worrying??

Thanks in advance
Old Apr 24th 2010, 1:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dfjordan
HI Caymancop
I´m always interested to hear about what´s going on in places that used to be paradises; could you please let me know, where on the web I can read about current affairs in the Caymans? Thanks
OK. don´t worry about my question, I´ve found via the Cayman News Service, enough info to be able to see what you are talking about. The fact they´ve had to bring police from the Uk to back up local cops in their efforts to fight the increase in violent crime plus the problems of lack of accountability in the gpovernment are enough to croos the Caymans off my list of potential places to visit let alone to think about living/working there!!
Old May 7th 2010, 9:53 am
Just Joined

londongirl2010 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you everybody for your replies which I have found very interesting.

I am not really considering moving to the Cayman Islands for life or anything like that. Maybe one or two years for career reasons whilst the dust settles a bit in Europe as I have not worked for a year and the City may still take a while to recover ...

In any event, it seems that not everything is as postcard beautiful as it is sold and maybe I will have to consider safety issues as well as the mere fear of dying of boredom!!! Certainly I will not make any decisions without visiting the place.

If anybody has any further comments, suggestions please let me know.

Thanks again.
Old May 9th 2010, 11:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by londongirl2010
Thank you everybody for your replies which I have found very interesting.

I am not really considering moving to the Cayman Islands for life or anything like that. Maybe one or two years for career reasons whilst the dust settles a bit in Europe as I have not worked for a year and the City may still take a while to recover ...

In any event, it seems that not everything is as postcard beautiful as it is sold and maybe I will have to consider safety issues as well as the mere fear of dying of boredom!!! Certainly I will not make any decisions without visiting the place.

If anybody has any further comments, suggestions please let me know.

Thanks again.
At least you will be going with your eyes open . Out of interest, I´ve been reading comments on this site made by English police who have recently returned to England because of the big increase in violent crime and the corrupt police force. Seems like the Cayman Islands police force is having a big recruitment drive in the Uk to try and replace the exodus of their cops. Good luck but beware.
Old May 28th 2010, 5:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

anuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud of

Without going into the specifics, a large percentage of hedge funds shutdown, the economy of Cayman is down; Tourism is down, processing of paperwork for outsiders coming to work is the burning issue.

Many of the expats are thinking of commuting or moving to Florida
Old May 30th 2010, 9:53 pm
Forum Regular

A_Zimbo is just really niceA_Zimbo is just really niceA_Zimbo is just really niceA_Zimbo is just really niceA_Zimbo is just really niceA_Zimbo is just really niceA_Zimbo is just really niceA_Zimbo is just really nice

Originally Posted by dfjordan
OK. don´t worry about my question, I´ve found via the Cayman News Service, enough info to be able to see what you are talking about. The fact they´ve had to bring police from the Uk to back up local cops in their efforts to fight the increase in violent crime plus the problems of lack of accountability in the gpovernment are enough to croos the Caymans off my list of potential places to visit let alone to think about living/working there!!
Not unique to Cayman. We are experiencing a similar crime wave down here in St Lucia. Hope your govts strategy works as to my mind there doesn't seem to even be a strategy down here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.