British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Cayman Islands (https://britishexpats.com/forum/cayman-islands-177/)
-   -   Is a car a necessity? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/cayman-islands-177/car-necessity-906410/)

Jamesy5008 Nov 30th 2017 6:35 pm

Is a car a necessity?

It looks like I'll be going out in January to work and reading some posts, it appears a car is a must. I doubt my wage will stretch to that. How good is public transport and are drivers crazy because I'm taking my bicycle?

TandD2017 Nov 30th 2017 9:26 pm

Re: Is a car a necessity?

I came out with a group of people, one guy catches the bus and manages as do plenty of locals & Jamaican's. I personally run a scooter to and from work and mostly dodge the biblical rain but then we have a car if it is bad weather as a back up. Coming from England it is very different in that there are few foot paths and walking often involves being in the side of the road with plenty of mad (often drunk at the weekends) drivers. In short, yes you can cope without a car but obviously it can make life difficult too.

Gordon Barlow Dec 1st 2017 5:41 pm

There is public transport, Jamesy, but not down every street. If you're lucky, you can pick up a reasonable basic car for two thousand dollars. My son and his girl-friend both ride scooters - about a thousand bucks each - even in the rain; they feel safe enough on them. I really wouldn't ride a bicycle, in traffic. A definitive answer to your question depends on where your home and your workplace are. Can you tell us that?

Jamesy5008 Dec 1st 2017 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow (Post 12392540)
There is public transport, Jamesy, but not down every street. If you're lucky, you can pick up a reasonable basic car for two thousand dollars. My son and his girl-friend both ride scooters - about a thousand bucks each - even in the rain; they feel safe enough on them. I really wouldn't ride a bicycle, in traffic. A definitive answer to your question depends on where your home and your workplace are. Can you tell us that?

Most likely going to live and work George Town/ West Bay area. Is cycling that bad? The roads can't be any worse than the potholed excuse for roads here.

Gordon Barlow Dec 1st 2017 11:11 pm

Originally Posted by Jamesy5008 (Post 12392609)
Most likely going to live and work George Town/ West Bay area. Is cycling that bad? The roads can't be any worse than the potholed excuse for roads here.

The roads are excellent, but some of the drivers aren't. There's a cycle-path along some of the West Bay Road, but not all of it, I think. T & D, can you help us out here? I don't use the road much, and don't remember where Dart's cycle path starts.

TandD2017 Dec 1st 2017 11:39 pm

Live by Hurleys so not sure. Didn't even realise there was actually a cycle path. If you can get accommodation within half a mile of work then survival without a car is practical apart from your food shopping - maybe use a bus or taxi then? But you need access to the beach too!

Gordon Barlow Dec 2nd 2017 12:35 am

Originally Posted by TandD2017 (Post 12392750)
Didn't even realise there was actually a cycle path.

The only paths I know of on the whole Island are the one running north from the top of West Bay Road where it goes inland, and the one on what they call "the arterial road" that runs east to Hirst Road. In the Good Old Days cyclists were allowed to ride on the footpaths, where they existed; I think that's forbidden now, although I've never read of anyone getting arrested for doing it!

Jamesy5008 Dec 8th 2017 11:13 am

Thanx guys. Until my wife has a job, I doubt we can afford a car but if buses are reliable that will help.

Cheers

TandD2017 Dec 9th 2017 1:28 am

Good luck and enjoy guys - is a great place to be. Getting a job is hard here though (skills dependent) but you should definitely both come for the experience

Jamesy5008 Dec 9th 2017 6:35 am

Hopefully work won't be too hard to find or i won't be there long. Doubt we could manage on just my wage.

Gordon Barlow Feb 6th 2018 8:17 pm

So, what's the latest, Jamesy?

Jamesy5008 Feb 7th 2018 6:48 am

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow (Post 12436390)
So, what's the latest, Jamesy?

Start work on the 1st March in George Town but won't be able to secure accommodation until I get there. I think a scooter will be the way to go to be honest. Cheap to run and easy to park. More fun too!

uk_grenada Feb 7th 2018 10:49 am

Just a reminder - Dont forget the helmet and good gloves - if you have to accept that you arent going armoured in leather and aramid, hands and head are the parts you really dont want to suffer gravel rash or need skin grafting.

Actually here all the serious bikers get these mesh jackets for offroading - thin nylon netting but with serious pads over elbows etc.

Gordon Barlow Feb 7th 2018 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by Jamesy5008 (Post 12436627)
I think a scooter will be the way to go to be honest. Cheap to run and easy to park. More fun too!

Except when you get caught in a tropical downpour, of course...!

Jamesy5008 Feb 19th 2018 4:53 am

Have found great accommodation 5 minutes walk from work. Bonus. And it is 10 minutes walk to Smith Barcadere. No need to buy anything just now thankfully.