British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Cayman Islands (https://britishexpats.com/forum/cayman-islands-177/)
-   -   Advice on moving (https://britishexpats.com/forum/cayman-islands-177/advice-moving-862803/)

cayman87 Aug 2nd 2015 3:41 pm

Advice on moving

Hi

My husband and I want to move to the Cayman Islands in early 2016, and would like some advice please.

We're both British citizens, I am a fully qualified ACCA accountant with 3 years post qualified experience (I'm from the Isle of Man originally so I also have some offshore experience) and my husband runs a web development company and can work from anywhere so he won't need a job.

Would it be difficult for me to receive a work permit? Are there lots of jobs for expats?

I will start applying for positions while we're still in the UK but apparently companies will not take my application seriously if I'm not in the Cayman Islands already - is it too risky to move without a job or is the job market strong?

Thanks in advance :)

Orangepants Aug 4th 2015 7:16 pm

Re: Advice on moving

You can't move there without a job so you'll have to start applying from overseas. You can visit and stay 28 days as a tourist. Who told you they wont take your application seriously?
If you earn enough then he can be a dependent on your visa which will allow him to live there.

cayman87 Aug 5th 2015 3:14 pm

Thank you for your response. I will start contacting recruitment company's now to get the ball rolling and also contact company's directly. Thanks again.

Originally Posted by Orangepants (Post 11716316)
Who told you they wont take your application seriously?

I read it on a blog about moving to the Caymans. It makes sense, the same thing happened when I moved to London, recruitment agencies receive lots of applications from people all over the world who have no real intention of moving over but apply off the cuff.

Orangepants Aug 5th 2015 5:29 pm

Don't believe everything you read on the internet - 99% of it is bullshit :lol:

Contact the recruitment company's in Cayman too - Affinity, Stepping Stones, Baraud, CML.

Have you worked in Hedge funds/Private Equity?

Gordon Barlow Aug 9th 2015 9:41 pm

There are plenty of jobs here - don't worry about that! The problem here is the Work Permit - which is issued to the employer, not the employee. You can't rely on getting a permanent-job offer until an employer has seen you face to face. It happens, of course; I know many expats who have been hired on the basis of a telephone interview. But I also know many employers who have begun the Work Permit process for a prospective employee who didn't turn up, and have vowed never to hire "blind" again.