Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Cayman Islands
Reload this Page >

Advice on living in Cayman islands

Advice on living in Cayman islands

Old Jul 23rd 2018, 7:10 am
Just Joined

Fefee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice on living in Cayman islands

Hi there ,
i want some advice if living in Cayman is a viable option for us.
We are a family of 3 from the UK.
My hubby works as a race car mechanic but also has a interest in teacing diving and boat captain.
I'm qualified beauty therapist and teaching assistant . I currently work as a nanny and babysitting in the evenings. I'm also qualified to teach baby massage.

My son is 2 years old

I know none off these are in the finance sector which is a problem ?

Another option is to just go for a year as my hubby gets sabaticial year.

We could also use that year to retrain in something more suitable career wise for Cayman.

We own are own home in the UK but would rent it out to boost are income in Cayman .

We also love running our b&b and would continue that also to help boost income .

I've not been to Cayman islands before but have been to lots of other caribean islands!
Used to work on cruise liners .

We are also possiable going to Cayman for a week's holiday to get a feel for the place.

Any advice appreciated ,
Many thanks
Old Jul 24th 2018, 12:59 pm
Forum Regular

TandD2017 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Advice on living in Cayman islands

1. You need permits to come here other than for hols - Diving might provide this but I believe tends to be low pay
2. You need to prove you can pay for spouse and child for medical and schooling needs i,e, need to make a minimum amount per month
3. There is a big difference in UK and Cayman rental prices, your income from UK would most likely not cover your rental costs here

https://caymanresident.com/move/cost...uple-children/

The above link will help you decide if it is financially viable and also show you where to start regarding visas etc.
Old Jul 25th 2018, 10:28 am
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

If you have never been to the place, know its quite expensive and doesnt really welcome foreigners other than as indentured finance people, why did you choose it?

If you want to spend a year in a caribbean island, there are several foreigner friendly, beautiful, safe and cheaper islands?
Old Jul 26th 2018, 3:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Grenada. The money's good here, for those who are working; and two thirds of the population are fellow-expats. But of course nobody should ever (as a general rule) commit to a place without visiting it first and getting a feel of what it would be like to work there.