British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Cayman Islands (https://britishexpats.com/forum/cayman-islands-177/)
-   -   Advice for four girls looking to bartend in grand cayman for a few months (https://britishexpats.com/forum/cayman-islands-177/advice-four-girls-looking-bartend-grand-cayman-few-months-882061/)

MackenzieVictory Aug 19th 2016 11:09 pm

Advice for four girls looking to bartend in grand cayman for a few months

Hi!
I am trying to do some research and feeling a bit lost.
I may be looking to relocate from Colorado to the Cayman Islands with three of my girlfriends. We all have a good amount of experience in the hospitality industry.
I wondering if anyone has tips on getting a job as servers/bartenders. I'm also looking for advice on areas in which we could share a cheap apartment but still be close to work/ things going on. Which websites should I look at to snag an apartment ahead of time?
Also, when reaching out to restaurants, am I correct to assume that they need to offer me the job before I move forward on getting my workers permit.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated! You guys are awesome

Gordon Barlow Aug 20th 2016 2:10 am

Re: Advice for four girls looking to bartend in grand cayman for a few months

Originally Posted by MackenzieVictory (Post 12030511)
I may be looking to relocate from Colorado to the Cayman Islands with three of my girlfriends. We all have a good amount of experience in the hospitality industry.
I wondering if anyone has tips on getting a job as servers/bartenders. I'm also looking for advice on areas in which we could share a cheap apartment but still be close to work/ things going on. Which websites should I look at to snag an apartment ahead of time?
Also, when reaching out to restaurants, am I correct to assume that they need to offer me the job before I move forward on getting my workers permit.

Yes your employer will need to have a Work Permit for you before you can come and live here. (Permits are issued to employers, not employees; ours is an indentured-labour system.) Next: don't even think of renting an apartment before your Permit comes through. Anyway, your employer will very likely be able to steer you to a place to rent.

As I've said on other threads, "Cayman New Resident" is the bible for everybody coming to Cayman. Check it out online.

Last comment: we're just entering our slow season, which lasts until mid-December, so tourism-oriented businesses probably won't be looking for new employees to start until then. As a general rule. Of course you can always line up a job well beforehand.

scot47 Aug 20th 2016 11:42 am

Do foreigners get the opportunity of doing jobs like this ?

Gordon Barlow Aug 20th 2016 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 12030791)
Do foreigners get the opportunity of doing jobs like this ?

Oh yes. Over half this Island's population are foreigners. And for bar work, probably as much as 90% are foreign. Native Caymanians don't like that work, as a general statement: the hours are too inflexible.

Pulaski Aug 20th 2016 2:12 pm

Have you considered becoming a paperback writer? :unsure:

Gordon Barlow Aug 21st 2016 2:45 am

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12030849)
Have you considered becoming a paperback writer?

Sorry, but I don't know what you mean, Pulaski; you'll have to explain. I have written plenty of essays in my time - weekly columns in local newspapers for about twenty years. I could put those into a book, but it wouldn't sell many copies, I think. Most of the contents on local issues are no longer relevant.

scot47 Aug 21st 2016 9:55 am

I think it is a reference to the lyrics of a popular song by a group that used to be well-known.

Mallory Aug 21st 2016 11:40 am

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow (Post 12031169)
Sorry, but I don't know what you mean, Pulaski; you'll have to explain. I have written plenty of essays in my time - weekly columns in local newspapers for about twenty years. I could put those into a book, but it wouldn't sell many copies, I think. Most of the contents on local issues are no longer relevant.

"I can make it longer if you like my style."

Gordon Barlow Aug 21st 2016 2:29 pm

Ah yes. Pulaski explained off-line. Something new to learn every day!