Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean
Reload this Page >

Young family thinking of moving to Grenada or Belize... advice please!

Young family thinking of moving to Grenada or Belize... advice please!

Old Jun 6th 2011, 12:15 am
Just Joined

nova789 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Young family thinking of moving to Grenada or Belize... advice please!

My husband works for a company which has worldwide branches, and a few of them in the Caribbean. We have 3 children aged 8, 4, and 2 and Grenada seems like a nice place for us to spend a few years. Other Caribbean options include Barbados and Jamaica but from what I've seen on this forum, and do correct me if I'm wrong here, but Jamaica doesn't sound like a safe place for young children and Barbados seems to have some racial problems? (he is white btw and I am Asian in origin). Also he has the option of going to the branch in Belize to work. Belize isn't in the Caribbean, but I've seen some of you say good things about Belize in these forums so its worth considering. He's planning to ask for a transfer to either of these places.

Before that though, I would like to do a bit of homework... I hope you won't mind me asking these questions and I do apologise in advance if it seems too much! :

1) How much is the cost of living in Grenada / Belize?? I prefer to buy and cook meals from scratch - would the cost of groceries for example be high? What's the cost of eating out like? Cost of water activities/etc? Would there be fishing (DH loves it)? Also would we need to have a car to get around places? Car insurance? etc.??

2) How much should we realistically expect to fork out for accomodation in Grenada / Belize? We don't want to live in a posh place... Just a small house or a big flat with 3 bedrooms would be fine. And in a decent area where we will be safe.

3) What sort of activities are there to do for the children? Are there play parks / gardens/ pools/ etc. to take them to? How easy is it to get hold of books, craft materials, etc.? And schools-wise, must we send our 8 year old to a private school or will the state school do? And at what age do they start school? My middle child is turning 5 later this year. Is schooling expensive in these places? And extra-curricular clubs/activities?

4) Bugs - loads? Well... I am expecting there to be loads... just need a definitive answer so I can arm us with insect repellents and meds. My children all have allergy eczema-prone skin and their skin always flared up badly due to the mozzie bites whenever we went camping in Spain/south of France.

5) Access to doctors and pharmacy products we're used to getting from Boots here like antihistamines and creams for their eczema. Is it good? Expensive? Do you need to purchase health insurance?

That's all I can think of for now... Might come back with more questions if I can think of more... I am aware that there's every chance living in these countries might mean living in a totally new way compared to UK, so pardon me if I might come across quite daft asking for play parks/craft materials and the sort! Just trying to get an idea of what life might entail once we're there.

Last edited by nova789; Jun 6th 2011 at 12:22 am.
Old Jun 6th 2011, 8:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Young family thinking of moving to Grenada or Belize... advice please!

Hi,

I cant really answer many of your questions as I dont know Belize or Grenada but have lived in Caribbean for 14 years.
But for some general comments, almost everything is imported to the Caribbean so medications, food, household items etc are more expensive due to transportation costs and duty. Decent vegetables are hard to come by apart from the few that may be grown locally so expect to pay more.
In the summer the bug problems can be quite bad at sundown. In Cayman the bug plane flies over and sprays not sure if that happens in other places, probably does, and it is not the huge problem that I heard it was 30 years ago.
Health insurance is a must and should be part of your husbands relocation package as should be visa costs and rental fees for a few months etc...

Good luck
Old Jun 8th 2011, 11:57 am

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Young family thinking of moving to Grenada or Belize... advice please!

Hi, I am no expert on any of these locations. I have found living in an air conditioned apartment increases your comfort when it gets too hot, and also keeps the mosquitoes out of the house. I would definately recommend getting bed nets as another precaution as they tend to feast mainly at night.
I am not sure where you got your information on racial problems in Barbados, from my knowledge barbados is a pretty tolerant society.

Good luck
Old Jun 11th 2011, 9:50 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

One piece of information that a lot of people gloss over is hurricane season, I remember on the Govt. of Grenada website it used to say how they were outside of the hurricane belt so it was a safe place to invest and then a couple of years later it was seriously damaged by Hurricane Emily. Belize is also frequently struck by hurricanes, so much so they moved the capital inland. Pretty much the whole Caribbean can get hit by hurricanes and even if you don't get hit, it rains a lot during the summer.

I've been through a category 5 hurricane, not recommended.