Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean
Reload this Page >

You know you are really a Caribbean when...

You know you are really a Caribbean when...

Old Mar 5th 2010, 11:13 pm
Just Joined

Peanut Punch is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: You know you are really a Caribbean when...

Originally Posted by glitterycloud
when you no longer notice the bus drivers rather crazy driving, especially their pulling over and pulling out manouvers!
OMG - Don't think I'll ever get to that point ...
Peanut Punch
Old Mar 9th 2010, 9:53 am
Just Joined

wevelakay is an unknown quantity at this point

the fist bump greeting feels more natural than a handshake
Old Mar 9th 2010, 4:11 pm
Just Joined

grandmalee is an unknown quantity at this point

you start saying 'just now' for something that will happen in the next half hour or so, or 'in a while' for something that will occur, I don't know, within the next 24 hours or so?
Old Mar 9th 2010, 6:54 pm
Just Joined

grandmalee
you start saying 'just now' for something that will happen in the next half hour or so, or 'in a while' for something that will occur, I don't know, within the next 24 hours or 'in a while' for something that will occur, I don't know, within the next 24 hours or so?

True, if I had an EC $ for everytime someone says I'll see you later - and I don't see them for them for days - I'd be able to retire in St Lucia.
Old Mar 12th 2010, 5:54 pm

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by grandmalee
you start saying 'just now' for something that will happen in the next half hour or so, or 'in a while' for something that will occur, I don't know, within the next 24 hours or so?
I will never get used to this 'just now'. I used to think people were being rude when they said this, for example you ask "would you like a drink" and are responded with "Just now" or "are you ready for your dinner" and get "just now". A simple "yes please" or "no thank you" would do. 'Just now' is so open ended and non commital to a simple answer.
Old Mar 13th 2010, 8:36 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by pgtips
I will never get used to this 'just now'. I used to think people were being rude when they said this, for example you ask "would you like a drink" and are responded with "Just now" or "are you ready for your dinner" and get "just now". A simple "yes please" or "no thank you" would do. 'Just now' is so open ended and non commital to a simple answer.
I guess every area has it customs and expressions. I remember the first time I got on a minibus on my own in Micoud (St Lucia) - I didn't know anyone so naturally I sat down & didn't say anything to anyone. An elderly woman glared at me (thinking I was really rude) and said good morning ... I realised after that -even when you don't know anyone the custom is to say good morning to everyone when you get on the buses.
I notice this happens mainly in the country but it's one of the nice things about being in the Caribbean.
Old Mar 14th 2010, 8:15 pm
Just Joined

grandmalee is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Peanut Punch
I guess every area has it customs and expressions. I remember the first time I got on a minibus on my own in Micoud (St Lucia) - I didn't know anyone so naturally I sat down & didn't say anything to anyone. An elderly woman glared at me (thinking I was really rude) and said good morning ... I realised after that -even when you don't know anyone the custom is to say good morning to everyone when you get on the buses.
I notice this happens mainly in the country but it's one of the nice things about being in the Caribbean.
I learned that one at the doctor's office...whenever anyone comes in the door, they say 'good morning' or 'good afternoon' - it is nice to be greeted - it makes the atmosphere more friendly, overall.
Old Apr 7th 2010, 12:59 am
Just Joined

Lady in Waiting is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by LottieLou
Peanut Punch - I found it was about 8 weeks or there abouts that the mozzies finally decided my blood wasn't that good, but saying that I still get the occasional bite (invariably on my ankle)
All about taking daily dose of Vitamin B50+...works wonders and although you may still get a few bites they don't blister up!
Old Apr 12th 2010, 9:05 am
Just Joined

upapalmtree is a name known to allupapalmtree is a name known to allupapalmtree is a name known to allupapalmtree is a name known to allupapalmtree is a name known to allupapalmtree is a name known to allupapalmtree is a name known to allupapalmtree is a name known to allupapalmtree is a name known to allupapalmtree is a name known to allupapalmtree is a name known to all

you say "good night" instead of "good evening"

start saying : "soon come", "we reach!", "minutes after/before 12 o'clock", "Leh we go", "mash op"

and shtooping! my boys can kiss their teeth with the best of them!
Old Apr 29th 2010, 9:25 pm
Just Joined

Tropicalphotobugg is just really niceTropicalphotobugg is just really niceTropicalphotobugg is just really niceTropicalphotobugg is just really niceTropicalphotobugg is just really niceTropicalphotobugg is just really niceTropicalphotobugg is just really niceTropicalphotobugg is just really niceTropicalphotobugg is just really nice

Love it lol...this thread is excellent lol...