Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean
Reload this Page >

You can get it if you really want.....

You can get it if you really want.....

Old May 12th 2008, 10:06 pm
Just Joined

Dragonflies is an unknown quantity at this point
Default You can get it if you really want.....

If you are thinking of leaving the UK, then go for it! We decided at Christmas that we wanted to leave and head for the Caribbean and through determination, good advice and a little bit of luck (and good timing!) we leave the UK in 23 days to begin our new life in Antigua. Sure I know things will be different and sometimes hard we are prepared for that and are looking forward to this change in our lives.

So if you want it.............. go for it!!!
Old May 13th 2008, 7:35 am
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: You can get it if you really want.....

Originally Posted by Dragonflies
If you are thinking of leaving the UK, then go for it! We decided at Christmas that we wanted to leave and head for the Caribbean and through determination, good advice and a little bit of luck (and good timing!) we leave the UK in 23 days to begin our new life in Antigua. Sure I know things will be different and sometimes hard we are prepared for that and are looking forward to this change in our lives.

Well done! How exciting!

Do you have job/s to go to? Why the Caribbean and what was your 'journey'? Do you have children and are they going too?
Old May 13th 2008, 8:59 am
Just Joined

We have talked about going to the Caribbean for the last 10 years and come Christmas, with the rising prices here and lack of recognition for my husband in his job we had just about had enough. We decided that was it and started to look for jobs. After getting some great advice (thanks Islandmum!) we narrowed down our islands of choice and contacted the job markets direct. It did take a lot of hard work and many emails but determination was key and my husband was offered a job.

We have 3 children aged 11, 8 and 1 so it is an experience for us all but one that I feel will be a beneficial one. There was a lot of soul searching before hand but we really feel that this is our opportunity to give our kids and us a better way of life.
Old May 13th 2008, 10:24 am
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

We have talked about going to the Caribbean for the last 10 years and come Christmas, with the rising prices here and lack of recognition for my husband in his job we had just about had enough. We decided that was it and started to look for jobs. After getting some great advice (thanks Islandmum!) we narrowed down our islands of choice and contacted the job markets direct. It did take a lot of hard work and many emails but determination was key and my husband was offered a job.

We have 3 children aged 11, 8 and 1 so it is an experience for us all but one that I feel will be a beneficial one. There was a lot of soul searching before hand but we really feel that this is our opportunity to give our kids and us a better way of life.

Excellent. Hope it all works out for you. What is the school situation like? Will they go to local or private (British?) schools?
Old May 13th 2008, 11:59 am

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute

Dragonflies, I am so pleased for you. Well done to you all !!!
How do the kids feel about the move ?
Whatever happens it is better to have tried to live out your dreams than sitting back and wondering what if .......

Keep us informed how it all goes when you settle in.
Old May 13th 2008, 3:46 pm
Just Joined

Thanks all!!!

The kids are very excited, no qualms at all. Schooling, well we shall see when we get there as I may well home school or they will go to the private school on the island. We have been told we have to talk to the Minister for Education when we get there and go from there and as we are kind of almost at summer holiday stage we have a few weeks to sort. If we don't I have identified a home schooling curriculum and we shall do that. As I have already identified social events and groups for them to meet other children I am not too worried about isolation being a factor.

I just wanted to say really if you want something bad enough.........

I thought it would take us a couple of years to get out there, not 6 months but am thrilled and the kids are crossing off the days until we fly!

Will keep you updated as to how we get on and how much of a culture shock it is (mind you coming from Devon it will DEFINITELY be drier!)
Old May 16th 2008, 11:28 am
Forum Regular

les666 is on a distinguished road

Good luck on your adventure... I spent 10 YEARS going to places all over the world inc New Zealand, Aus, Europe, Cyprus , etc etc..
The Caribbean by far out shines the lot... many Islands use the US$ so we are better off than those who moved to Europe (sterling 16% down against the Euro this year, ouch)... So why should people do it, no tax, good weather, friendly, safe, in all a more relaxed way of life... We got fed up feeling like mice on a wheel, working harder and harder and never seeming to get anywhere.. The only reason to consider staying in the UK was family. Now they have visited some are selling up and moving out here as well..
you will love it..
Les
Grace Bay, Turks & Caicos Islands
Old May 16th 2008, 1:59 pm

username 34 is an unknown quantity at this point

well done to you guys S! It'll soon be time to arrive in Antigua, feel that gorgeous warm air when you get off the flight and sit back with a rum punch when you get to your new place!

enjoy, enjoy