Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean
Reload this Page >

why arent there more people out here?

why arent there more people out here?

Old Jan 23rd 2007, 7:15 pm

Pony is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: why arent there more people out here?

Don't you have problems with clouds of smug enveloping the golden beaches?

Originally Posted by islandmom
cannot understand as I lie on the beach looking out on the beautiful Caribbean sea - why arent there more Brit expats out this way??

all the islands are undergoing a huge construction boom, all tradesmen, designers and surveyors are needed. Hotels are booming and hotel staff are needed. why is it that most of the expats out in the Windies are old and wrinkly - (no offence to the old and wrinkly's!!) but are retirees with gorwn kids.

we're here with our 2 toddler sons, no plans to EVER go back to the UK and cant imagine a better place for our sons to be raised. Also with alot of companies out here (as with ours) we get a tax free salary (3 times higher than the one in the UK) free housing, car and return flights a year to the UK. Granted - our house here isnt a home, not well finished and sparse but its what you make it.

just amazes me that people would rather trek all the way to NZ where by all accounts life is harder, financially the same or worse, socially troubled and cant reach the UK in terms of money or time.

here we have loads of visitors, its only 8 hours away and we can afford to fly every year. I just dont understand the allure of places like NZ, spain etc... when this seems so much more appealing...

but thats what makes expats great I spose - we all have our idea of heaven and where and what it is Mines here!!
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 7:54 pm

username 34 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Texas_Dave
Don't you have problems with clouds of smug enveloping the golden beaches?

not as yet, but I hear the clouds of green envy are hovering north of us chill TD - OP wasnt meant to offend so dont take it that way, we all happy
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 8:28 pm

Pony is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm not offended, I think its great your enjoying your life.
I was only having a laugh.

good on you!

not as yet, but I hear the clouds of green envy are hovering north of us chill TD - OP wasnt meant to offend so dont take it that way, we all happy
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by Texas_Dave
I'm not offended, I think its great your enjoying your life.
I was only having a laugh.

good on you!
ah you muppet - you had me going - and I did think it was a bit odd from you ... now NJ dave then yes!!

my smugness however has been wiped off today well and truly as its bloody raining - I mean wtf? this is not how its meant to be
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 12:09 am
Just Joined

pireland is on a distinguished road

Hi islandmom
we would consider going anywhere safe in the world as we have been toying with the idea of emigrating for quite a few years now but the state of the uk at the moment has really pushed us to the limit. We would not be able to move for about 18months as my partner is on the last part of her teacher training. Wherever you have been I would love to know. All the best Paul & ann

ps what is the property market like
Old Mar 1st 2007, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by pireland
Hi islandmom
we would consider going anywhere safe in the world as we have been toying with the idea of emigrating for quite a few years now but the state of the uk at the moment has really pushed us to the limit. We would not be able to move for about 18months as my partner is on the last part of her teacher training. Wherever you have been I would love to know. All the best Paul & ann

ps what is the property market like
well I've been to lots of places, but only experienced long term living really in the UK and Caribbean (hubby was in Saudi for 4 years, and the Far East also) and have family in places like South Africa.

Personally speaking I love South Africa, we have a great time when we go and its got so much going for it - but you couldnt PAY me enough to live there! too dangerous, too unpredictable.

I really do love the life out here in the Caribbean. Choose your island carefully, what you want from your life and what you want for your kids - the islands are very different amongst themselves. Obviously I wouldnt recommend moving somewhere like Trinidad (where my family is from) because it really isnt a safe place at all - why else would a caribbean island have virtually no tourism?? Same as St Vincent - no tourism (as in resorts and hotels) to speak of for a reason.

Teaching wise you could get jobs easily - we're looking at moving on from here to a bigger island and looking at curacao, turks and caicos, St lucia and Barbados. Barbados is for sure my least favourite from that list but thats just being nit-picky and if we end up there with hubbies job its hardly a bad thing!
Old Mar 7th 2007, 9:39 am
Forum Regular

Bengyboo is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Islandmom,

You are so lucky, although you make your own etc etc.....

St Lucia is fantastic, my family were there for a few years, 15 years ago, so I spent some time there.

Lived in beautiful oceanfront house on the hill next to LaToc hotel (Now Sandals) and nice little 9 hole GC.

Have you heard or seen what the Island is like now? It used to be so laid back and very few tourists?

Great times......Good luck if you are still thinking of going.

BB
Old Mar 7th 2007, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by Bengyboo
Hey Islandmom,

You are so lucky, although you make your own etc etc.....

St Lucia is fantastic, my family were there for a few years, 15 years ago, so I spent some time there.

Lived in beautiful oceanfront house on the hill next to LaToc hotel (Now Sandals) and nice little 9 hole GC.

Have you heard or seen what the Island is like now? It used to be so laid back and very few tourists?

Great times......Good luck if you are still thinking of going.

BB
have to say I'm a big fan os St Lucia. Despite the fact its got a busy tourism industry its quite hidden in a way. There are no high rise hotels, most if not all hotels are pretty well hidden off the roads so not corwding in everywhere. Still a majority of boutique style hotels rather than the bog chains - although we are getting more.

it manages to have alot of tourists without actually looking like it. Yes Rodney Bay and Castries on Cruise Ship day are busy but thats about it really - and with the mix of locals it works well.
Old Mar 7th 2007, 9:10 pm

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute

have to say I'm a big fan os St Lucia. Despite the fact its got a busy tourism industry its quite hidden in a way. There are no high rise hotels, most if not all hotels are pretty well hidden off the roads so not corwding in everywhere. Still a majority of boutique style hotels rather than the bog chains - although we are getting more.

it manages to have alot of tourists without actually looking like it. Yes Rodney Bay and Castries on Cruise Ship day are busy but thats about it really - and with the mix of locals it works well.
Islandmom, are you actually living in St Lucia now ? If so which part ?
Old Mar 8th 2007, 12:40 am

Originally Posted by pgtips
Islandmom, are you actually living in St Lucia now ? If so which part ?
no - not on St Lucia but close, about 30 minutes flight away! Its definately in my top 3 islands where I'd like our next move to be and settle down.

Off there next month with hubby for his birthday - cant wait!
Old Mar 14th 2007, 3:23 pm
Account Closed

Beebop is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm just sitting here in watching the cricket and remembered reading this thread a bit back...made me think!

What's St Kitts and Nevis like?

And for a lazy idle person, would it suit? Or is somewhere like St Lucia better - if so, why? This is prob answered above but just for comparison.

PS It's cold outside!
Old Mar 14th 2007, 10:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

The Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond repute

yeh I mean for us its been a godsend financially which has obviously improved our quality of life as a family and meant we can travel to the UK each year at least once.

I read the NZ forums out of interest having watched the NZ relocation special when in the UK and just thought god so many people really do struggle out there - same weather, no increase in wages or standard of living and too expensive for most to get to the UK for vaca's. Obviously if one half is already from that country it makes it alot easier as you have ties, family and knowledge of that place.

hope all goes well for you down there!
I think being able to afford to visit the family frequently takes a lot
of the sting of living away from home. And you're right, it's very expensive
to leave NZ, and with the low wages, and high cost of living, it's harder
to save the money to do it.

After living in NZ for the last two years, I have come to understand
why it has a low population. People seem to be impressed by it, but
look at it his way - there's a REASON for it!!!

Boy are you lucky, I say as I write from my cold Auckland home. And
it's still summer!!!
Old Jan 5th 2008, 4:15 am
Just Joined

llw03c is a name known to allllw03c is a name known to allllw03c is a name known to allllw03c is a name known to allllw03c is a name known to allllw03c is a name known to allllw03c is a name known to allllw03c is a name known to allllw03c is a name known to allllw03c is a name known to allllw03c is a name known to all

wow, this is a really old thread..haven't been to this site in a loooooonnnggg time.

anyway to answer your initial question, to each his own. i went in the opposite direction; born on an island (antigua) and moved to canada. i'm LOVING it!! i think its amazing that we never seem to see the beauty of our homeland and that the "grass is always greener on the other side" as they say. for me, its about jobs and lifestyle. i'm an electrical designer/engineer (not electrician!!) and jobs in my field in antigua are nonexistent. what's a guy to do?? the job i do now and the salary i have would be impossible there. any and all technical jobs are outsourced. we may have construction and trades opportunities but professional techical jobs just don't happen for most people. here, i'm getting paid to do something i think is fun and once upon a time, did in my spare time. my lifestyle is amazing now. i have after work activities for EVERY day of the week. i'm learning and excel in sports we don't play in antigua; i'm meeting people from other cultures and having experiences i wouldn't have there. my diet is amazing now. its true we have nice fresh local produce in antigua from time to time but you can't beat the abundance you have in north america; there's so much variety. there's something for everyone here...so much more than a beach and the same weather all year round. here we have the seasons with such contrast. for months you have warmth then all of a sudden we have the beautiful snow and unfortunately shorter days...we have the mountains; hiking in summer, skiiing in winter..anyway, i could go on and on...point is, its human nature to want to experience something different compared to what you grew up with. you're there, i'm here..everybody's happy,
Old Jan 7th 2008, 12:39 pm
Just Joined

lady c is an unknown quantity at this point

no - not on St Lucia but close, about 30 minutes flight away! Its definately in my top 3 islands where I'd like our next move to be and settle down.

Off there next month with hubby for his birthday - cant wait!
hi island mom

ARE YOU STILL OUT THERE? still in st lucia?

i am wondering myself "why we aren't out there yet?!"

i used to live in St Lucia in my twenties (well, slight exageration my folks had a house and i visited a lot!), and we are now seriously considering coming back as a family; (having now acquired husband and 6 mth old baby boy) .. wondered how it was going for you?

any draw backs to report or is life still rosy?

yours

pea-green london mom
Old Jan 7th 2008, 12:46 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

I got married in Mauritius. St Lucia was one of our choices, but chose Mauritius. Never thought of emigrating to the Carribean at all. Maybe it's the media, which seem to drill into our heads that OZ/NZ are the places to go.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.