Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean
Reload this Page >

why arent there more people out here?

why arent there more people out here?

Old Oct 31st 2006, 11:55 pm
  #31  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Antigua
Posts: 13
USA here we come is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: why arent there more people out here?

Originally Posted by islandmom
well I spent alot of my childhood out here as my parents are both Trinidadians (although my dad was born in South Africa) and me, hubby and the rugrats have been here since early 2004.

and you?
almost a year, we arrived december 10th 2005
USA here we come is offline  
Old Nov 1st 2006, 3:18 am
  #32  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 15,455
Sally is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: why arent there more people out here?

[QUOTE=islandmom]
Originally Posted by Sally

well I think I am!! 32 isnt ancient is it
it was my folks place, by Dickinson Bay, and we visited twice a year until I was 18 or so - loved it!
that explains it
Sally is offline  
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 10:34 am
  #33  
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0
 
uk+kiwi's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 1,606
uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: why arent there more people out here?

Originally Posted by islandmom
cannot understand as I lie on the beach looking out on the beautiful Caribbean sea - why arent there more Brit expats out this way??
I totally agree with your sentiments about Island life. Hubbie spent his young years in Samoa and I enjoyed a wonderful expat childhood, mainly in the Middle East. So personally I would love our girls to experience this, the Caribbean would be fantastic, but on a practical note, where would one find an expat posting?

Hubbie works for an Investment bank in Document Management and I run my own business around school hours/holidays that wouldn't be viable in the Caribbean. Have searched the internet a couple of times, but jobs all seem to be in the trades, low waged catering or recreational instructors for diving/sailing etc. Any brainwaves?
uk+kiwi is offline  
Old Dec 14th 2006, 12:57 pm
  #34  
...
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 1,165
pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: why arent there more people out here?

Originally Posted by islandmom
well I spent alot of my childhood out here as my parents are both Trinidadians (although my dad was born in South Africa) and me, hubby and the rugrats have been here since early 2004.

and you?
So you have Trini roots, like my wife ? we also have two kids and already have a plot of land in St Lucia.

Our plan is eventually to move to the island, and have our house there.
Who knows maybe we will all meet up on the island. The chances are we will be living around Rodney Bay as this is where we feel most confortable and it is close to all facilities.

We also have some very good friends moving back to South Africa after 4 years in the UK.

As for Miami, we do have a friend across there from the islands, but kinda lost touch, but must give a call a drop a mail.

I travelled to the States last year and stayed in New Jersey, Boston, New York and also spent some time in Canada. All nice to visit but I prefer the UK as there is just much more depth and Character to the place. I could not see myself living in US, although it is nice to visit.

I know Miami can be very expensive, especially Miami beach, but it may just mean you having to get used to travelling many miles to get to the beach or living in a tiny apartment.

Having said that the Caribbean can be quite expensive, but if you can afford to purchase somewhere outright and have no mortgage or rent to pay you can live very comfortably indeed.

Keep us posted as to what you decide and good luck wherever you end up.
pgtips is offline  
Old Dec 14th 2006, 1:06 pm
  #35  
...
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 1,165
pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: why arent there more people out here?

Originally Posted by uk+kiwi
I totally agree with your sentiments about Island life. Hubbie spent his young years in Samoa and I enjoyed a wonderful expat childhood, mainly in the Middle East. So personally I would love our girls to experience this, the Caribbean would be fantastic, but on a practical note, where would one find an expat posting?

Hubbie works for an Investment bank in Document Management and I run my own business around school hours/holidays that wouldn't be viable in the Caribbean. Have searched the internet a couple of times, but jobs all seem to be in the trades, low waged catering or recreational instructors for diving/sailing etc. Any brainwaves?
Be prepared for a change of lifestyle, that is the whole point of relocating.
My advice would be to get as much money behind you as possible and then see what business you can operate in the Caribbean.

Remember be prepared for a much slower pace of life, but this is when you come to appreciate this much simpler way of living. If you love beautiful scenery, beautiful beaches, watersport and a laid back way of life the chances are you will enjoy the Caribbean. If you want to rush around building up your careers like in UK then you will most probably be disappointed.

Have you and your husband considered teaching on one of the islands ? There are options, but definately be willing for a change.
pgtips is offline  
Old Jan 18th 2007, 9:35 pm
  #36  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Location: London
Posts: 1
jintywelk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: why arent there more people out here?

May I ask what line of work you hubby is in?
jintywelk is offline  
Old Jan 20th 2007, 9:07 am
  #37  
Australia's Doorman
 
Hutch's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: The Shoalhaven, New South Wales, Australia
Posts: 11,054
Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: why arent there more people out here?

Originally Posted by jintywelk View Post
May I ask what line of work you hubby is in?
If you're talking about IslandMom - I seem to recall both she, and her old man, are golf pros.
Hutch is offline  
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 12:44 pm
  #38  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 34
frankcoleman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: why arent there more people out here?

Originally Posted by Hutch View Post
If you're talking about IslandMom - I seem to recall both she, and her old man, are golf pros.
Tough work if you can get it move to paradise and play golf and get paid to do it! Sorted where do I sign
frankcoleman is offline  
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 1:27 pm
  #39  
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 2,474
username 34 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: why arent there more people out here?

Originally Posted by frankcoleman View Post
Tough work if you can get it move to paradise and play golf and get paid to do it! Sorted where do I sign
I tell you it takes determination and persistence and the knowledge that we should stick it out to save some other poor soul from having to do it ......

its really a charity thing
username 34 is offline  
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 1:53 pm
  #40  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 34
frankcoleman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: why arent there more people out here?

Originally Posted by islandmom View Post
I tell you it takes determination and persistence and the knowledge that we should stick it out to save some other poor soul from having to do it ......

its really a charity thing
Charity begins at home lol

OK I am an alright golfer never really played too many competitions but have improved from the 120 shots (where I felt the more you had the better value for money the round was) to around 85 for a round on a par 72. Now my Father in Law is President of a club here on the south of Spain and has just had his handicap moved up to 19.something.

Now he has asked me to play against him in the club championship (mainly so I can get a handicap) Having never played against him before should I pull out all the stops or aim for the trees?
frankcoleman is offline  
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 2:01 pm
  #41  
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 2,474
username 34 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: why arent there more people out here?

Originally Posted by frankcoleman View Post
Charity begins at home lol

OK I am an alright golfer never really played too many competitions but have improved from the 120 shots (where I felt the more you had the better value for money the round was) to around 85 for a round on a par 72. Now my Father in Law is President of a club here on the south of Spain and has just had his handicap moved up to 19.something.

Now he has asked me to play against him in the club championship (mainly so I can get a handicap) Having never played against him before should I pull out all the stops or aim for the trees?
show no mercy! only thing is you wont beat him officially as you're playing to get your handicap and only already handicapped players can qualify to be part of the competition.
username 34 is offline  
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 2:15 pm
  #42  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 34
frankcoleman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: why arent there more people out here?

Originally Posted by islandmom View Post
show no mercy! only thing is you wont beat him officially as you're playing to get your handicap and only already handicapped players can qualify to be part of the competition.
Ah but the score will be posted on the board as part of the day so even though not qualified I can still be above him on the board!
frankcoleman is offline  
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 2:20 pm
  #43  
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 2,474
username 34 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: why arent there more people out here?

Originally Posted by frankcoleman View Post
Ah but the score will be posted on the board as part of the day so even though not qualified I can still be above him on the board!
oh yeah it must be done ..... first you shag his daughter then you woop his arse at golf! Golf club presidents deserve all the humiliation they get - they're a nightmare a la perceived big fish in a small pond most of the time. Hope your FIL's a decent bloke and he should take this golfing humiliation in his stride
username 34 is offline  
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 2:39 pm
  #44  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 34
frankcoleman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: why arent there more people out here?

You mean like he did the day before we got married where I got a mate to come partner me against him and his 4 handicap general manager. I think we won by 3 holes (handy knowing people on the PGA tour shame I never took an interest in it before now I might be quite good at it lol)
frankcoleman is offline  
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 7:59 pm
  #45  
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 2,474
username 34 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: why arent there more people out here?

Originally Posted by frankcoleman View Post
You mean like he did the day before we got married where I got a mate to come partner me against him and his 4 handicap general manager. I think we won by 3 holes (handy knowing people on the PGA tour shame I never took an interest in it before now I might be quite good at it lol)
oh yes! FILS getting a good beating is always soooo satisfactory
username 34 is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.