Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean
Reload this Page >

why arent there more people out here?

why arent there more people out here?

Old Oct 27th 2006, 3:28 pm
Just Joined

Bobbylah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: why arent there more people out here?

Was just offered a position in the Bahamas, and will be bringing over the wife and kid. Everything seems to be working out, however I cannot find much info on the quality of hospital care, especially with respect to maternity care. The company insurance, provided through Guardian I believe, is a reimbursible deal, where I shell out and then claim the cost (or a percentage thereof) back. I am especially concerned as my sone was 6 weeks premature and had to spend time in a neonatal intensive care unit. Hopefully this will not be the same for the second, but we need to be able to plan!

Any info is appreciated.
Old Oct 28th 2006, 4:43 pm
Just Joined

Bobbylah is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry I am crap. I meant we are moving to Barbados.
Old Oct 28th 2006, 7:14 pm

username 34 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bobbylah
Sorry I am crap. I meant we are moving to Barbados.

I wouldnt worry about health care - as long as you have health coverage with your company you'll be fine. What you need to make sure is that you're not "tied" to a specific hospital as you need to find the right one for you.

We're in the same position where we go to the hospital, pay the bills and then we claim 90% back including ALL costs (food, airfare, taxi's - anything you are having to pay for whilst there.)
Old Oct 28th 2006, 9:55 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by islandmom
cannot understand as I lie on the beach looking out on the beautiful Caribbean sea - why arent there more Brit expats out this way??
But now your thinking of re-locating to Miami.........
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...22&postcount=1

LOL....................
Old Oct 28th 2006, 10:15 pm
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ray

LOL....................
One paradise to another
Old Oct 28th 2006, 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by Ray

LOL....................
trust me .... if it were my decision we wouldnt go!

but it aint! somethings come along.... too tempting for OH!
Old Oct 31st 2006, 8:14 pm
Just Joined

USA here we come is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: why arent there more people out here?

cannot understand as I lie on the beach looking out on the beautiful Caribbean sea - why arent there more Brit expats out this way??
We are in Antigua at the moment and love it, education is fine at the moment, girls are 2,7 and 8 and we have unfortunately tested out the private health system which was far better than the NHS, thankfully.

We have no definate plans for the future as yet, can't see ourselves here permanantly and are looking into New Brunswick for the future, but for now we are very very happy where we are, have a fantastic view of the ocean, plenty of sunshine, lots of visitors, what more could anyone want
Old Oct 31st 2006, 8:27 pm

[QUOTE=USA here we come]

We are in Antigua at the moment and love it, education is fine at the moment, girls are 2,7 and 8 and we have unfortunately tested out the private health system which was far better than the NHS, thankfully.

We have no definate plans for the future as yet, can't see ourselves here permanantly and are looking into New Brunswick for the future, but for now we are very very happy where we are, have a fantastic view of the ocean, plenty of sunshine, lots of visitors, what more could anyone want
ooh I love antigua! away from the touristy bits anyway! love the fact its far less developed and commercial then Barbados - although that bloody VC Bird airport could do with an update, its been the same since we used to have a house there 20 years ago!
Old Oct 31st 2006, 9:01 pm
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=islandmom]
Originally Posted by USA here we come

ooh I love antigua! away from the touristy bits anyway! love the fact its far less developed and commercial then Barbados - although that bloody VC Bird airport could do with an update, its been the same since we used to have a house there 20 years ago!
I thought you were young
Old Oct 31st 2006, 9:30 pm

[QUOTE=Sally]

I thought you were young
well I think I am!! 32 isnt ancient is it
it was my folks place, by Dickinson Bay, and we visited twice a year until I was 18 or so - loved it!
Old Oct 31st 2006, 9:42 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: why arent there more people out here?

[QUOTE=islandmom]

I would have to agree about the airport, definately needs an update
But whenever we fly over and land it definately feels like home, no other feeling like it.
You gotta love Island life, most of the time anyway
Old Oct 31st 2006, 9:43 pm
Just Joined

[QUOTE=islandmom]
Originally Posted by Sally

well I think I am!! 32 isnt ancient is it
it was my folks place, by Dickinson Bay, and we visited twice a year until I was 18 or so - loved it!
Oh God i hope not that's how old i am!!!!

Dickenson Bay is lovely, had many a great day there.
Old Oct 31st 2006, 9:57 pm

I was in antigua in March this year - my very good friends son died and her 2 sisters are trolley dolleys with BA so got her a ticket over and booked a hotel for her.

I went and stayed too - the Jolly Harbour Hotel - bit of a pigsty compared to what we're used to here but it did the business - she absoloutely had a great time.

Only real let down was the Jolly Harbour golf Course OMG :scared: what a total hole! parched dry, "lakes" were just sand holes and the course and clubhouse were really really run down.

St Johns was fun as usual - picked up a lovely little white dress from a boutigue in the "mall" right by the cruise ship terminal.

are your girls in a local school or expat?
Old Oct 31st 2006, 10:16 pm
Just Joined

I was in antigua in March this year - my very good friends son died and her 2 sisters are trolley dolleys with BA so got her a ticket over and booked a hotel for her.

I went and stayed too - the Jolly Harbour Hotel - bit of a pigsty compared to what we're used to here but it did the business - she absoloutely had a great time.

Only real let down was the Jolly Harbour golf Course OMG :scared: what a total hole! parched dry, "lakes" were just sand holes and the course and clubhouse were really really run down.

St Johns was fun as usual - picked up a lovely little white dress from a boutigue in the "mall" right by the cruise ship terminal.

are your girls in a local school or expat?
My girls are at Kids Unlimited, mainly expats but a few locals as well which gives it a nice mix. They have settled in well thankfully.

It was quite dry here Feb/March so nothing green looked great, but its more than made up for it these last few weeks and i am pleased to announce the golf course looks fine now

Can't comment on the hotel only used the villas at jolly when we visited. We live on the north beach now and can't complain....too much!!

How long have you been out in the caribbean?
Old Oct 31st 2006, 10:29 pm

My girls are at Kids Unlimited, mainly expats but a few locals as well which gives it a nice mix. They have settled in well thankfully.

It was quite dry here Feb/March so nothing green looked great, but its more than made up for it these last few weeks and i am pleased to announce the golf course looks fine now

Can't comment on the hotel only used the villas at jolly when we visited. We live on the north beach now and can't complain....too much!!

How long have you been out in the caribbean?
well I spent alot of my childhood out here as my parents are both Trinidadians (although my dad was born in South Africa) and me, hubby and the rugrats have been here since early 2004.

and you?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.