Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean
Reload this Page >

why arent there more people out here?

why arent there more people out here?

Old Aug 3rd 2006, 9:36 pm
  #1  
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 2,474
username 34 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default why arent there more people out here?

cannot understand as I lie on the beach looking out on the beautiful Caribbean sea - why arent there more Brit expats out this way??

all the islands are undergoing a huge construction boom, all tradesmen, designers and surveyors are needed. Hotels are booming and hotel staff are needed. why is it that most of the expats out in the Windies are old and wrinkly - (no offence to the old and wrinkly's!!) but are retirees with gorwn kids.

we're here with our 2 toddler sons, no plans to EVER go back to the UK and cant imagine a better place for our sons to be raised. Also with alot of companies out here (as with ours) we get a tax free salary (3 times higher than the one in the UK) free housing, car and return flights a year to the UK. Granted - our house here isnt a home, not well finished and sparse but its what you make it.

just amazes me that people would rather trek all the way to NZ where by all accounts life is harder, financially the same or worse, socially troubled and cant reach the UK in terms of money or time.

here we have loads of visitors, its only 8 hours away and we can afford to fly every year. I just dont understand the allure of places like NZ, spain etc... when this seems so much more appealing...

but thats what makes expats great I spose - we all have our idea of heaven and where and what it is Mines here!!
username 34 is offline  
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 10:41 pm
  #2  
BE Forum Addict
 
kwprwn's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Auckland
Posts: 1,631
kwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: why arent there more people out here?

Originally Posted by islandmom
cannot understand as I lie on the beach looking out on the beautiful Caribbean sea - why arent there more Brit expats out this way??

all the islands are undergoing a huge construction boom, all tradesmen, designers and surveyors are needed. Hotels are booming and hotel staff are needed. why is it that most of the expats out in the Windies are old and wrinkly - (no offence to the old and wrinkly's!!) but are retirees with gorwn kids.

we're here with our 2 toddler sons, no plans to EVER go back to the UK and cant imagine a better place for our sons to be raised. Also with alot of companies out here (as with ours) we get a tax free salary (3 times higher than the one in the UK) free housing, car and return flights a year to the UK. Granted - our house here isnt a home, not well finished and sparse but its what you make it.

just amazes me that people would rather trek all the way to NZ where by all accounts life is harder, financially the same or worse, socially troubled and cant reach the UK in terms of money or time.

here we have loads of visitors, its only 8 hours away and we can afford to fly every year. I just dont understand the allure of places like NZ, spain etc... when this seems so much more appealing...

but thats what makes expats great I spose - we all have our idea of heaven and where and what it is Mines here!!
and you are were exactly?
kwprwn is offline  
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 10:43 pm
  #3  
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 2,474
username 34 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: why arent there more people out here?

Originally Posted by kwprwn
and you are were exactly?

sorry should have said! I'm in the Grenadines and moving (hopefully) to St Lucia next year.

and like I say - everyone goes where they dream their life would be better... I just dont understand why more arent out here. No offence to NZ and Spain which obviously have their good points otherwise people wouldnt go - but I just dont get it for out here... and here you just have to apply for a job, the companies sort all the visas out.

maybe the brain is too fried from hours in the hot sun!

Last edited by username 34; Aug 3rd 2006 at 10:46 pm.
username 34 is offline  
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 10:52 pm
  #4  
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 13,233
gedge has disabled reputation
Default Re: why arent there more people out here?

Originally Posted by islandmom
sorry should have said! I'm in the Grenadines and moving (hopefully) to St Lucia next year.

and like I say - everyone goes where they dream their life would be better... I just dont understand why more arent out here. No offence to NZ and Spain which obviously have their good points otherwise people wouldnt go - but I just dont get it for out here... and here you just have to apply for a job, the companies sort all the visas out.

maybe the brain is too fried from hours in the hot sun!
But what is the infrastructure and network like for young families? Are there good schools? Kids activities? What's the health care like? Is there more to your social life than sitting on the beach or a hotel bar? I can imagine it's good for a short term venture but can only see healthy wealthy retirees going long term.
gedge is offline  
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 11:07 pm
  #5  
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 2,474
username 34 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: why arent there more people out here?

Originally Posted by gedge
But what is the infrastructure and network like for young families? Are there good schools? Kids activities? What's the health care like? Is there more to your social life than sitting on the beach or a hotel bar? I can imagine it's good for a short term venture but can only see healthy wealthy retirees going long term.

well thats why we're moving from our tiny little island - which has been great whilst the kids were babes - to St Lucia which has a brilliant infrastructure. Not anywhere near as commerical or touristy as Barbados, still has much more island charm - IMO - and has excellent private schooling, either international or British curriculum, loads of team sports and clubs (tennis, rugger, soccer, karate, swimming, etc..) and the health care privately is first rate too.

thats the difference - in the UK no way could we afford private schools or health - here we can and I dont need to work as the hubbys doing so well (thank god!)

but .... pick your islands with care depending on what stage your kids are at schooling wise.
username 34 is offline  
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 11:11 pm
  #6  
BE Forum Addict
 
kwprwn's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Auckland
Posts: 1,631
kwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: why arent there more people out here?

Originally Posted by islandmom
sorry should have said! I'm in the Grenadines and moving (hopefully) to St Lucia next year.

and like I say - everyone goes where they dream their life would be better... I just dont understand why more arent out here. No offence to NZ and Spain which obviously have their good points otherwise people wouldnt go - but I just dont get it for out here... and here you just have to apply for a job, the companies sort all the visas out.

maybe the brain is too fried from hours in the hot sun!
the choice of NZ is because it is hubbys home and no work for what he did in were we lived in UK, and he had been away 18 years, and its a nice country, not so sure about rates and stuff, but something we will deal with
kwprwn is offline  
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 11:18 pm
  #7  
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 2,474
username 34 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: why arent there more people out here?

Originally Posted by kwprwn
the choice of NZ is because it is hubbys home and no work for what he did in were we lived in UK, and he had been away 18 years, and its a nice country, not so sure about rates and stuff, but something we will deal with
yeh I mean for us its been a godsend financially which has obviously improved our quality of life as a family and meant we can travel to the UK each year at least once.

I read the NZ forums out of interest having watched the NZ relocation special when in the UK and just thought god so many people really do struggle out there - same weather, no increase in wages or standard of living and too expensive for most to get to the UK for vaca's. Obviously if one half is already from that country it makes it alot easier as you have ties, family and knowledge of that place.

hope all goes well for you down there!
username 34 is offline  
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 11:41 pm
  #8  
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 13,233
gedge has disabled reputation
Default Re: why arent there more people out here?

Originally Posted by islandmom
well thats why we're moving from our tiny little island - which has been great whilst the kids were babes - to St Lucia which has a brilliant infrastructure. Not anywhere near as commerical or touristy as Barbados, still has much more island charm - IMO - and has excellent private schooling, either international or British curriculum, loads of team sports and clubs (tennis, rugger, soccer, karate, swimming, etc..) and the health care privately is first rate too.

thats the difference - in the UK no way could we afford private schools or health - here we can and I dont need to work as the hubbys doing so well (thank god!)

but .... pick your islands with care depending on what stage your kids are at schooling wise.
Well I hope St Lucia provides you with all that. Are you still thinking that you'd remain in the Caribbean forever? What happens when your kids are grown up and looking for jobs or higher education. Will those be available, or will your kids end up back in the UK/US? What are their long term prospects?
gedge is offline  
Old Aug 4th 2006, 12:53 am
  #9  
BE Forum Addict
 
kwprwn's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Auckland
Posts: 1,631
kwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: why arent there more people out here?

Originally Posted by islandmom
yeh I mean for us its been a godsend financially which has obviously improved our quality of life as a family and meant we can travel to the UK each year at least once.

I read the NZ forums out of interest having watched the NZ relocation special when in the UK and just thought god so many people really do struggle out there - same weather, no increase in wages or standard of living and too expensive for most to get to the UK for vaca's. Obviously if one half is already from that country it makes it alot easier as you have ties, family and knowledge of that place.

hope all goes well for you down there!
thank you


and hope all goes well for your move to st lucia
kwprwn is offline  
Old Aug 4th 2006, 12:56 am
  #10  
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 2,474
username 34 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: why arent there more people out here?

Originally Posted by gedge
Well I hope St Lucia provides you with all that. Are you still thinking that you'd remain in the Caribbean forever? What happens when your kids are grown up and looking for jobs or higher education. Will those be available, or will your kids end up back in the UK/US? What are their long term prospects?
well , we're hoping to educate them with the International Baccalaureate (sp) system which would give them access to US and UK universities. As for colleges the islands have good enough schooling till then for sure - espacially Barbados. I mean I know many Brit expats want to send their kids back to the UK but we're not concerned to do that as the private education out here is very good if you get the right school.

Hopefully we'll remain here permenantly and the boys will grow up with many overseas opportunities. The jobs market out here is bright in many fields and the longer we are out of the UK the less meaning there is to return ever. In 20 years for example our parents will probably be gone, our friends moved on in their lives and our lives will be so entrenched wherever we are that a return to the UK is unlikely - but you never know what happens eh?!
username 34 is offline  
Old Aug 4th 2006, 1:11 am
  #11  
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 13,233
gedge has disabled reputation
Default Re: why arent there more people out here?

Originally Posted by islandmom
well , we're hoping to educate them with the International Baccalaureate (sp) system which would give them access to US and UK universities. As for colleges the islands have good enough schooling till then for sure - espacially Barbados. I mean I know many Brit expats want to send their kids back to the UK but we're not concerned to do that as the private education out here is very good if you get the right school.

Hopefully we'll remain here permenantly and the boys will grow up with many overseas opportunities. The jobs market out here is bright in many fields and the longer we are out of the UK the less meaning there is to return ever. In 20 years for example our parents will probably be gone, our friends moved on in their lives and our lives will be so entrenched wherever we are that a return to the UK is unlikely - but you never know what happens eh?!
Sounds like you've thought it through. Good luck for your future move.
I grew up overseas and went to the uk to finish my schooling. I did find it difficult to adapt (teenagers being what they are) but you manage. In fact I'm grateful to have had the childhood I did. I believe it's why I now don't see moving from country to country as being a barrier. If you grow up realising there is more to life than your home town, then you are more inclined to get out and experience the world. My grandparents emigrated to St Lucia over 30 years ago and made a new life for themselves. I'm sure you'll do well too.
gedge is offline  
Old Aug 4th 2006, 7:15 am
  #12  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 8,266
TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice
Default Re: why arent there more people out here?

islandmom, don't come and whine on here when you're inundanted with Brit expats soon ... lol
TouristTrap is offline  
Old Aug 4th 2006, 12:49 pm
  #13  
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 2,474
username 34 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: why arent there more people out here?

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
islandmom, don't come and whine on here when you're inundanted with Brit expats soon ... lol
username 34 is offline  
Old Aug 4th 2006, 8:00 pm
  #14  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
geordie mandy's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Ballarat
Posts: 7,005
geordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: why arent there more people out here?

Originally Posted by islandmom
cannot understand as I lie on the beach looking out on the beautiful Caribbean sea - why arent there more Brit expats out this way??

all the islands are undergoing a huge construction boom, all tradesmen, designers and surveyors are needed. Hotels are booming and hotel staff are needed. why is it that most of the expats out in the Windies are old and wrinkly - (no offence to the old and wrinkly's!!) but are retirees with gorwn kids.

we're here with our 2 toddler sons, no plans to EVER go back to the UK and cant imagine a better place for our sons to be raised. Also with alot of companies out here (as with ours) we get a tax free salary (3 times higher than the one in the UK) free housing, car and return flights a year to the UK. Granted - our house here isnt a home, not well finished and sparse but its what you make it.

just amazes me that people would rather trek all the way to NZ where by all accounts life is harder, financially the same or worse, socially troubled and cant reach the UK in terms of money or time.

here we have loads of visitors, its only 8 hours away and we can afford to fly every year. I just dont understand the allure of places like NZ, spain etc... when this seems so much more appealing...

but thats what makes expats great I spose - we all have our idea of heaven and where and what it is Mines here!!

I knew a soldier who was brought up in St lucia he always talked highly of it.His parents still live there. Cant remember where abouts on the island he came from.
One of these days i might just get to visit the island.
So pleased you enjoy your life there.
Mandy
geordie mandy is offline  
Old Aug 15th 2006, 8:17 pm
  #15  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 1
conniehjalmar is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: why arent there more people out here?

My husband just applied for a position in your little piece of heaven and we have a ton of questions that we have not been able to answer with respect to the prospect of living and working in paradise. Perhaps you could help??
conniehjalmar is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.