Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean
Reload this Page >

What impact will Jamaica becoming a Republic have on British Expats on the island?

What impact will Jamaica becoming a Republic have on British Expats on the island?

Old May 9th 2012, 4:59 pm
Just Joined

TropConnections is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What impact will Jamaica becoming a Republic have on British Expats on the island?

The current Prime Minister of Jamaica has said that she believes the time has come for Jamaica to remove the British Queen as head of state, to be replaced with a President. What impact will Jamaica being a Republic have on British expats living on the island? Members' views welcomed.
Old Jun 1st 2012, 12:40 pm
Forum Regular

jean1947 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What impact will Jamaica becoming a Republic have on British Expats on the island

It might not happen, read todays Jamaica Gleaner online, there is an article about it
Old Jun 23rd 2012, 10:00 pm
Just Joined

TropConnections is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What impact will Jamaica becoming a Republic have on British Expats on the island

Jean1947, You may be quite right, as the previous PM of Jamaica P J Patterson set a deadline of 2007 for Jamaica to become a Republic and...
Old Sep 16th 2012, 8:04 am
UK

RJB123 is an unknown quantity at this point

I can't see it making much difference at all to British expats. When I was based there I was working alongside expats from various countries and we were all treated pretty much the same. The Jamaican's I got to know did in general like the British and I see no reason why becoming a republic should change that.
Old Nov 7th 2012, 6:16 am
Just Joined

Iwannaknow is an unknown quantity at this point

There'll be no difference Jamaicans tend to love foreigners especially the Americans & British, I think with the British seeming to treat Jamaica as the
4th class step child is why some people are disappointed, other than that I dont even believe that is gonna be soon ;Jamaica has other major problems to deal with like IMF, unemployment & mismanagement by both parties. The current leader seem to not know much,so the finance minister seem to be
running th ccountry, nice people Jamaicans but the dire poor turn to crime because of injustices.