Weighing up a new life.

Old May 25th 2020, 4:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Weighing up a new life.

Originally Posted by StillSearching
Re. 4. It is everywhere in the world. I judge by our own experience when I was taking steroids for a week after an intense allergic reaction to a string jellyfish. Grenada is not special. Here is just one example of a poisonous Portuguese man-of-war jellyfish in Grenada:
https://www.itv.com/news/granada/201...storm-ophelia/
Searching... The link you gave (above) brings up an article about the Isle of Man - not even about Granada, which you may or may not know is not in the Caribbean but in Spain. Yes, really! You seem to have a hangup about Grenada, to the point of being rude and aggressive about your knowledge of a place a million miles away from where you live. Better check your links, if you want to be taken seriously, sport.
Old May 25th 2020, 5:06 am
Forum Regular

StillSearching has a reputation beyond reputeStillSearching has a reputation beyond reputeStillSearching has a reputation beyond reputeStillSearching has a reputation beyond reputeStillSearching has a reputation beyond reputeStillSearching has a reputation beyond reputeStillSearching has a reputation beyond reputeStillSearching has a reputation beyond reputeStillSearching has a reputation beyond reputeStillSearching has a reputation beyond reputeStillSearching has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow
Searching... The link you gave (above) brings up an article about the Isle of Man - not even about Granada, which you may or may not know is not in the Caribbean but in Spain. Yes, really! You seem to have a hangup about Grenada, to the point of being rude and aggressive about your knowledge of a place a million miles away from where you live. Better check your links, if you want to be taken seriously, sport.
Right regarding a place.
However, it doesn't dismiss my point about jellyfish in the Caribbean and you can easily check it.
Actually, my research was done only because we are still considering to live in the Caribbean otherwise I wouldn't care to comment.
I don't think fact checking can be considered as hostility.
I found actually a lot of hostility in some of the posts in reply to the OP.

Last edited by StillSearching; May 25th 2020 at 5:08 am.
Old May 25th 2020, 10:27 am
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

It depends on a country. A fee can be much smaller and you can buy a property and live there all the time if you wish.
Where is this place in the caribbean that charges a much smaller fee ? I know of one island that has a temporary 100k charge while the bug is on, but the 250k is normal. Several islands will let anyone buy property but theres uaually an alien landholding tax where allowed, and owning it never gives the right to live there, only to apply for a visa, visit as a 3 month tourist and possibly extend for a while.

if you know somewhere simply buying a house lets you live there permanently do say... Closest i know are some french owned islands where you can buy a house at an inflated house in an expat ghetto and live there for 6 months of the year.

Ultimately the nicest places are barred, those who need money are selling themselves, but would you seriously want to live there?
Old May 25th 2020, 10:32 am

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

Re. 1- Perhaps Grenada is the only island in the world which is not affected by rising ocean level. Is it floating?
Re. 2- Millions of tons of Sargassum. It started in 2011 due to warming of the ocean and it gets worse. Put in your browser: "Sargassum issue in Caribbean"

Re. 3- Put in your browser: "problem with fresh water in grenada"
"Water stress will be one of the greatest challenges, as reduced precipitation and increasing temperatures will cause a lack of water availability in countries like the Bahamas, Grenada, and Jamaica, who already suffer from water scarcity."
But it is good that desalination can be used for producing fresh water. Though it is more costly and has some environmental issues.
​​
Put in your browser: "deforestation in Grenada"
"The key types of land degradation in Grenada and Carriacou as identified in the newly aligned NAP are water erosion, acidification and pollution, loss of soil life, soil fertility decline, and pests and diseases infestation. The key direct drivers are deforestation."
I use Grenada because you talk about Grenada, however these issues are the same in all eastern caribbean islands.

Re. 4. An issue with increase of the jellyfish is everywhere in the world. I judge by our own experience when I was taking steroids for a week after an intense allergic reaction to a string jellyfish. Grenada is not special. Just put in your browser: "jellyfish problem in eastern Caribbean"

Re. 5. Read in Wikipedia and other sources:
"The energy released by (again considering all hurricanes worldwide) seems increased by around past 30 years or so, corresponding to about a 15% increase in the maximum wind speed and a 60% increase in storm lifetime."

Re. 6. Renewable energy is only 1.4% in Grenada. It is typical for all eastern caribbean islands.
https://www.nrel.gov/docs/fy15osti/62699.pdf
"Nearly 99% of electricity is sourced from diesel fuel. The
utility maintains an installed capacity of 48.6 MW spread
across the three islands. In June 2006, Grenada became one
of 13 Caribbean countries to sign the PetroCaribe Agreement
with Venezuela to finance 40% of Grenada’s petroleum
supply for 25 years at an interest rate of 1%."
However there is a goal to increase solar energy production.

Knowledge is power!
knowledge is power absolutely, but googleing things is not, sorry, but i dont need the eco creds so you’ll have to troll elsewhere, truthfully you dont live here, you know nothing about here, or about how places like here exploit people like you and your governments for financcial advantage.

As dialogue is pointless with a troll, whilst of course you may feel free to respond, i will not.

Last edited by uk_grenada; May 25th 2020 at 10:36 am.
Old May 25th 2020, 10:42 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by uk_grenada
knowledge is power absolutely, but googleing things is not, sorry, but i dont need the eco creds so you’ll have to troll elsewhere, truthfully you dont live here, you know nothing about here, or about how places like here exploit people like you and your governments for financcial advantage.

As dialogue is pointless with a troll, whilst of course you may feel free to respond, i will not.
At no point could I see anything approaching trolling from Still Searching. Just because you disagree with a poster, there's no need to be rude to them, as you have been. Everyone is free to post their thoughts and opinions providing they do so in a respectful way. I would suggest that it's not Still Searching who has failed in this regard, it's you.
Old May 25th 2020, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
At no point could I see anything approaching trolling from Still Searching. Just because you disagree with a poster, there's no need to be rude to them, as you have been. Everyone is free to post their thoughts and opinions providing they do so in a respectful way. I would suggest that it's not Still Searching who has failed in this regard, it's you.
Im honoured that an aussie would consider my posting as such, truly the grumpy old codger seal of approval lol...

I actually suggested he was free to flame on, but pointed out i wasnt playing that game. Seriously, one can give any distorted opinion you choose with a quick google, but that isnt truth, and as a resident of a place he chose to defame from afar, i reserve the right to state my view on the local truth, especially in our current state of semi isolation.
Old May 25th 2020, 11:11 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Im honoured that an aussie would consider my posting as such, truly the grumpy old codger seal of approval lol...

I actually suggested he was free to flame on, but pointed out i wasnt playing that game. Seriously, one can give any distorted opinion you choose with a quick google, but that isnt truth, and as a resident of a place he chose to defame from afar, i reserve the right to state my view on the local truth, especially in our current state of semi isolation.
Listen here, from one grumpy old codger to another. You obviously have heaps of useful and interesting knowledge to share and of course you can state your point of view (as can others) but comments such as those below undermine your message.

sorry, but i dont need the eco creds so you’ll have to troll elsewhere,
As dialogue is pointless with a troll
The poster above knows nothing about whats going on here in the eastern caribbean, but seems keen on acquiring eco-warrior status

A troll, which is a rather unpleasant type of person, is one who deliberately posts in order to upset other members. Still Searching was simply posting their own thoughts and beliefs and if they upset you then that's down to you. Even old codgers are more than capable of responding and refuting without name calling.

So there
Old May 25th 2020, 10:52 pm
Forum Regular

Jamesy5008 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesy5008 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesy5008 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesy5008 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesy5008 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesy5008 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesy5008 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesy5008 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesy5008 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesy5008 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesy5008 has a reputation beyond repute

Old May 25th 2020, 11:29 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by Jamesy5008

Not between UK Granada and I, we have mutual respect for each other's old grumpiness
Old May 26th 2020, 5:18 am
Forum Regular

StillSearching has a reputation beyond reputeStillSearching has a reputation beyond reputeStillSearching has a reputation beyond reputeStillSearching has a reputation beyond reputeStillSearching has a reputation beyond reputeStillSearching has a reputation beyond reputeStillSearching has a reputation beyond reputeStillSearching has a reputation beyond reputeStillSearching has a reputation beyond reputeStillSearching has a reputation beyond reputeStillSearching has a reputation beyond repute

Where is this place in the caribbean that charges a much smaller fee ?
As far as I know Antigua and Burbudas reduced their price for citizenship to 100K after a hurricane completely destroyed Barbuda.

Thank you, Spouse, for your kind support to conduct our discussion here respectfully.

Old May 26th 2020, 6:17 am
Forum Regular

... one can give any distorted opinion you choose with a quick google, but that isnt truth, and as a resident of a place he chose to defame from afar, i reserve the right to state my view on the local truth, especially in our current state of semi isolation.
So what is this "local truth" which contradicts many reliable and scientific sources?
E.g., when I buy a house I don't want 'local truth' to be predominant. I can listen, but I would rather factcheck. Why would I believe a realtor who has skin in the game? Just an example. I am not implying that you are a realtor.
Old May 26th 2020, 10:01 am

Yes they are getting a lot of stick for that decision, and actually i understand it isnt working. Antigua isnt a top choice. There are stats available on takeup of these programs, and actually numbers arent high anywhere. One thing most dont realise, the cost [there is uaually a fee[s] on top] the cost is really a pure fee. One is allowed to invest the money in an approved scheme, sometimes housing or timeshare, but one is normally not allowed to use it for their own accomodation except in timeshare terms, so the actual cost is that of 250k [or whatever] plus the cost of a house car etc.
Old May 26th 2020, 10:18 am

So what is this "local truth" which contradicts many reliable and scientific sources?
E.g., when I buy a house I don't want 'local truth' to be predominant. I can listen, but I would rather factcheck. Why would I believe a realtor who has skin in the game? Just an example. I am not implying that you are a realtor.
You missed my hint about eco industry here. There is a great industrŷ in the caribbean, selling friendship and obtaining foreign money. EG each fishing nation has a vote on the IWC, every year japan tosses each caribbean fishing nation a few million and we typically vote with them on whaling.... If i ever needed a hip, it would be done here by a cuban surgeon using a european hip. The hip joint costs 1000 in europe, 5k in america and 400 here, because as a developing nation we make use of treaties that support health in poorer countries, incidentally the total cost of this op to me is circa 600 pounds, this is why aids drugs are free here. Every year Chine and the EU put a lot of money into this region, same reasons really. So - there is a new industry - global warming or cooling or whatever it is this week. We receive largesse from all over the world to improve our carbon emissions, use less aluminium foil or recycled plastic bags. This requires argument on how bad the problem is, would you believe there are about 10 people here permanently employed by the german government doing studies on this stuff. We have zero issues with sealevels, rubbish is pretty much under control, and our agriculture and water supply are marvels to behold, but dont tell anyone... My statements above on those issues are perfectly correct. EG hurricanes, yachties come here in droves in the spring because we are at 12 degrees n, we are for insurance purposes our of the hurricane belt, which means we might have one every so often, but its rare. Climate change is real, we are emerging from an iceage, so we should expect change [not playing the human global warming game personally] which appears to be centred on a northerly move of hurricane tracks, putting NY in the firing line for one - one day. For us this is good.