Caribbean music

Old Jul 19th 2018, 4:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Caribbean music

My first visit to the Caribbean was in 1966. I took a three-weeks vacation on a round-trip ticket from Toronto, and the first stop was Nassau (Bahamas). At the airport I told a taxi to take me to the cheapest guest house he knew of. Well, it was cheap enough, somewhere "over the hill" where white tourists never stayed. I was the only white person staying there, which the other guests (all Black Americans - Negroes, they were called then) thought was strange. Which it was, at that time. I had backpacked around the Middle East the year before, so felt comfortable with people of different cultures. A bunch of them took me to a seedy nightclub called "The Big Bamboo" - named for a popular calypso song of the time. Here is the song:

I thought it would be fun to devote a thread to Caribbean songs that mean something to we who post on the thread, starting with the song that began my long association with the region. My air ticket took me on to Jamaica, Haiti, Dominican Republic, St Thomas, and Trinidad. I don't have a song associated with my visit to every one of those places, but I'll work something out...
Old Jul 20th 2018, 10:23 am
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Caribbean music

Im so glad that satire and double meanings are alive and well in caribbean music. Last year panorama [govt funded public event] was cancelled because a promoter who provided the stage wanted to give a for money event at the same venue, so the stage wasnt finished - mayhem ensued. This year a great soca tune lambasting various people has appeared.

Old Jul 20th 2018, 9:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by uk_grenada
Im so glad that satire and double meanings are alive and well in caribbean music. Last year panorama [govt funded public event] was cancelled because a promoter who provided the stage wanted to give a for money event at the same venue, so the stage wasnt finished - mayhem ensued. This year a great soca tune lambasting various people has appeared.

I have to say I couldn't understand much of what they were singing - but I guess the locals were OK with it! Here is an early "soca" tune from the '60s by a popular Bajan group - a wonderfully catchy tune, with references to the region's politicians of the day. My bride and I went to a concert by The Merrymen in one of the hotels in Nassau when we were working there - great fun! They were five white boys, which surprised us: but I have never heard a better chorus. They're still going, I think - in their seventies, now!
Old Jul 30th 2018, 4:59 am

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

This is funny

Old Jul 30th 2018, 5:01 am

I believe this is one of the finest songs, and performances.

Old Jul 30th 2018, 8:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

One of my all time favourites is Sparrow's "Dan is de Man in de Van". This calypso is a scornful look at how school education in the British colonies was (in general) designed to keep black children "in their place" at the bottom of the totem pole. If you listen carefully, it covers all of the common nursery rhymes, which the singer claims*** are the only things he was taught during his school days.
*** A bit tongue-in-cheek, but still... it makes for a clever and amusing song.
Old Aug 1st 2018, 7:12 am

Yes, sparrow is still performing, i met him in a rural rum shop in Grenada a few years back, he was visiting relatives and the jungle drums were on form...
Old Aug 2nd 2018, 12:58 am
Forum Regular

daveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond repute

I always think that the best Caribbean music is the steel bands.

Funnily enough, the University Of Miami has a steel band which gives the locals a run for their money.

Check them out on video from U Tube.
Old Aug 2nd 2018, 5:40 am

Originally Posted by daveincolchester
I always think that the best Caribbean music is the steel bands.

Funnily enough, the University Of Miami has a steel band which gives the locals a run for their money.

Check them out on video from U Tube.
Ive been to panorama in PoS many times, great fun. However, if you like pan, you should love this, this band is unique, and from Trini of course.

Old Aug 3rd 2018, 12:53 am
Forum Regular

daveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the above link.

Loved it.
Old Aug 3rd 2018, 1:46 am
BE Forum Addict

This, too, from Trinidad - maybe the catchiest soca tune of all.
Old Aug 3rd 2018, 6:21 am

So Gordon, do you go to hear soca performers or to carnival anywhere - sparrow always has a christmas concert - if you havent seen him you should. Grenada carnivals imminent, the build ups good...
Old Aug 3rd 2018, 6:28 am

This is good

Old Aug 3rd 2018, 6:35 am

Kitchener was one of the greatest artists, his sugar bum bum is of course globally ‘the caribbean’ but this is better i think

Old Aug 19th 2018, 6:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Here's a nice one - quite relaxing... Tiny Winey by Byron Lee

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.