Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean
Reload this Page >

A Warm All-Year-Round Place to Retire

A Warm All-Year-Round Place to Retire

Old Aug 25th 2005, 7:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

dfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A Warm All-Year-Round Place to Retire

Originally Posted by Billie
What about Belize? It's english speaking in Central America?
YOU´VE GOT TO BE OUT OF YOUR MIND!!! DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA WHAT THAT PLACE IS LIKE?? JUST SPEAK TO ANY BRITISH SOLDIER WHO HAS BEEN STATIONED THERE; IT´S ABOUT AS CLOSE AS YOU CAN GET TO ABSOLUTE HELL.
Everybody speaks English in Andalucia and it´s dry and warm all year round with excellent medical facilities ( National Health) I suggest you think about there instead
Old Aug 27th 2005, 9:17 am
Forum Regular

Jacaranda has a brilliant futureJacaranda has a brilliant futureJacaranda has a brilliant futureJacaranda has a brilliant futureJacaranda has a brilliant futureJacaranda has a brilliant futureJacaranda has a brilliant future

Beginning to wish I'd never started this thread . . . . . . .

The idea of Belize is not as far-fetched as the last response would make out - I belong to a company that actually has a diving lodge out there, and members have had many wonderful holidays there, with absolutely no negative feedback! However, the idea of El Andalus is a great one, as it's near UK, and my family! On the other hand, I might just stay in Bonnie Scotland . . .
Old Aug 27th 2005, 10:46 am
Forum Regular

Piccolo is just really nicePiccolo is just really nicePiccolo is just really nicePiccolo is just really nicePiccolo is just really nicePiccolo is just really nicePiccolo is just really nicePiccolo is just really nice

Originally Posted by Jacaranda
Beginning to wish I'd never started this thread . . . . . . .

The idea of Belize is not as far-fetched as the last response would make out - I belong to a company that actually has a diving lodge out there, and members have had many wonderful holidays there, with absolutely no negative feedback! However, the idea of El Andalus is a great one, as it's near UK, and my family! On the other hand, I might just stay in Bonnie Scotland . . .
Jacaranda

Bes climate in the world. Copperbelt, Zambia and they have the lovely Jacaranda trees
Old Aug 27th 2005, 2:36 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Piccolo, I wish...

Belize is not such a great place to set up anymore. I have a friend who retired down there, had a small lodge, and they've moved over to Panama and set up shop there rather and love it.
Old Aug 27th 2005, 5:02 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dfjordan
YOU´VE GOT TO BE OUT OF YOUR MIND!!! DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA WHAT THAT PLACE IS LIKE?? JUST SPEAK TO ANY BRITISH SOLDIER WHO HAS BEEN STATIONED THERE; IT´S ABOUT AS CLOSE AS YOU CAN GET TO ABSOLUTE HELL.
Everybody speaks English in Andalucia and it´s dry and warm all year round with excellent medical facilities ( National Health) I suggest you think about there instead
My godfather was stationed ther in the early 80's and when he retired from the army he stayed on and has been living there ever since. Last time he visited the Uk was about two years ago and we met up, he was really happy there. His children all came to the UK for university but one of his daughters moved back there about 5 years ago. She's the same age as me and she loves it. She is moving soon though as her boyfriend is based in Antigua and they are moving in together.
Old Aug 27th 2005, 5:02 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Oh my goodness - have been off the boards for a bit, so not following the thread! Ray, that looks awful - I hope it's better now? What *is* a recluse spider, and where do they come from?
LOL. The jury is still out on that one!

http://www.snopes.com/photos/bugs/brownrecluse.asp
Old Aug 27th 2005, 9:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

dfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBride
My godfather was stationed ther in the early 80's and when he retired from the army he stayed on and has been living there ever since. Last time he visited the Uk was about two years ago and we met up, he was really happy there. His children all came to the UK for university but one of his daughters moved back there about 5 years ago. She's the same age as me and she loves it. She is moving soon though as her boyfriend is based in Antigua and they are moving in together.
There´s always an exception. I had contact with many army personnel stationed there and also had business contacts and not one had a good word for the place. " Jacaranda" said his company had a diving lodge there; great for vacations but going on a diving holiday and living in a place are slightly different. Cancun may have nice beaches but would you think about living there? People have to be realistic when they start dreaming about places in the sun. I´ve worked and vacationed in many islands in the Caribbean and the Indian Ocean. I also spent time in countries in Africa & know Central America very well, but would I live there?- NO!-
Old Aug 27th 2005, 10:23 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

There´s always an exception. I had contact with many army personnel stationed there and also had business contacts and not one had a good word for the place. " Jacaranda" said his company had a diving lodge there; great for vacations but going on a diving holiday and living in a place are slightly different. Cancun may have nice beaches but would you think about living there? People have to be realistic when they start dreaming about places in the sun. I´ve worked and vacationed in many islands in the Caribbean and the Indian Ocean. I also spent time in countries in Africa & know Central America very well, but would I live there?- NO!-
But there are different perspectives. Your original response was far too extreme. Being stationed there and having business contacts there isn't living there either. And yes there is always an exception just as their are always people who make up a rule.
Old Aug 27th 2005, 10:48 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

I also spent time in countries in Africa & know Central America very well, but would I live there?- NO!-

I'd suggest that you are the exception then. I took great objection to your first post about Belize.
I would hardly count on the testimony of the British solidiers I've met there to give an accurate despcription of BZ life.

While I agree that living in a 'vacation' destination is not the same as a 2 weeks holiday, it sounds like you haven't done either WRT Belize.

Or Andalucia, if you think everyone speaks English there.
Old Aug 28th 2005, 8:02 am
Forum Regular

Jacaranda has a brilliant futureJacaranda has a brilliant futureJacaranda has a brilliant futureJacaranda has a brilliant futureJacaranda has a brilliant futureJacaranda has a brilliant futureJacaranda has a brilliant future

BTW - "Jacaranda" is a "her"! A 63-year-old her! Belize has an immigration policy for retirees, too, which makes the idea attractive, in some ways!

As to Piccolo's comment, re Zambia's copperbelt - they may have Jacaranda trees, which I grew up with, in Nakuru, Kenya - but I think not! Kenya, especially Nairobi, had a wonderful climate - but I ain't goin' back . . .

However, I still have four or so years before I retire, much can happen in that time, and many decisions reached! In the meantime, it's really interesting hearing everyone's views . . . thanks!
Old Aug 31st 2005, 10:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by meauxna
I'd suggest that you are the exception then. I took great objection to your first post about Belize.
I would hardly count on the testimony of the British solidiers I've met there to give an accurate despcription of BZ life.

While I agree that living in a 'vacation' destination is not the same as a 2 weeks holiday, it sounds like you haven't done either WRT Belize.

Or Andalucia, if you think everyone speaks English there.
I stick by what I say. Have you done either? I wont go into details, but I was responsible for a major project in Belize, but was fortunate not to have to spend more than a day there at any one time. I did live and work in Costa Rica , Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras and would still strongly advise against thinking of retiring to any of them unless you are desperate; and if you don´t speak Spanish you will find it very difficult. With regard to Andalucia , yes I have lived and worked there and hence had no desire to take a vacation there. Obviously not EVERYONE is English speaking but you have to be honest, it´s not exactly what you would call a typical part of Spain, and you certainly don´t need to speak Spanish if you want to live there
Old Sep 1st 2005, 12:02 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

I stick by what I say. Have you done either?
Lived in and travelled in both places.
Small world.

Different experiences.
Old Jan 22nd 2006, 3:26 pm
Forum Regular

killie has a brilliant futurekillie has a brilliant futurekillie has a brilliant futurekillie has a brilliant futurekillie has a brilliant futurekillie has a brilliant futurekillie has a brilliant future

well we did it and now have been 5 months in the gambia west africa the weather is warm all year and the pace of life easy,only 6 hrs from uk and a large expat community and lots of scots more than we thought.
its also cheap to rent and you can buy really cheap too,but maybe worth renting to see if you like it .no need for visas ect either until you get here and youhave 6 months to sort it out.
with having african roots you would probably like it here alot.
good luck wherever you end up.

Does anyone have any bright ideas on the above? I'm near retirement age - and have painful arthritis while in the UK (during the UK winter), so am researching somewhere to perhaps retire to. I'm a British passport holder, but grew up in Kenya (where I was schooled), Tanzania (where I first started to work), moved to South Africa and returned to UK some time ago. I've also had nearly two years in the Middle East, in Doha.

Any ideas would be welcome!

Val/Jacaranda
Old Jan 24th 2006, 11:32 am
BE Enthusiast

sunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud of

I sometimes envy the neighbours when their relations call for barbecues or a walk down the local for a drink. We have always travelled and stayed for no longer than 3 years, longing to return to the UK but after a few weeks (specially the winter!!!) yearning for warmer climates.
I always find also that conversation is lacking when we eventually meet our relatives and chat about our experiences. I remember returning from a trip in January and the local hairdresser enquiring after my "tan". Whe I replied that I'd been to the Yemen, it went very quiet and then she replied, "we're thinking of going to Malaga this year!"
I suppose there are many of us expats looking for the ideal place to hang-up our boots for good and what I would say is examine the local expat community before deciding on the right place. Check groups or clubs in your particular interest and see if you "fit-in" and can make friends ...not always easy for our class conscous Brits.
Old Jul 5th 2006, 12:30 pm
Just Joined

SFatajo is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Re: A Warm All-Year-Round Place to Retire

Originally Posted by killie
well we did it and now have been 5 months in the gambia west africa the weather is warm all year and the pace of life easy,only 6 hrs from uk and a large expat community and lots of scots more than we thought.
its also cheap to rent and you can buy really cheap too,but maybe worth renting to see if you like it .no need for visas ect either until you get here and youhave 6 months to sort it out.
with having african roots you would probably like it here alot.
good luck wherever you end up.
Hi Killie!
I'm from Manchester and looking into moving to The Gambia.
I'm trying to meet expats living their already to get some idea about general things - like taking anti-malarial pills all the time, what to do during the rainy season etc.
Where are you from and what do you do there.
Also, where-abouts are you living?
My husband is building a guesthouse in Kololi.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.