Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean
Reload this Page >

Want to spend time in the Caribbean

Want to spend time in the Caribbean

Old Jan 1st 2009, 4:24 am
Just Joined

Vard0rns is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Want to spend time in the Caribbean

Hi, I'm early 20's and I currently make my money from trading on the US stock market and I earn about $250-350k USD per year depending on how well I do.

I've currently got about 300~K USD in savings and I'm wanting to move to the caribbean due to its tax status and nice beaches.

Which Islands would allow me to move over there and earn my offshore USD whilst not taxing me on that and allowing me to 'work' (although it's just stocks overseas rather than working locally..)

I'd like a decent house, decent internet, decent night life, stuff to do, maybe quad biking or visiting islands and be able to travel easily If i wish.

I've heard that I can buy Dominican citizenship for about 75K + legal / miscellaneous costs. This country does not really seem very appealing though...

I've got full UK/AUS citizenship so also EU, meaning I could live in a few of the french islands and possibly a few dutch ones once/if they finalize bringing them in to the EU, but I assume these are not very good for tax.

Lastly, I may like to build a business there and buy some assets overseas and have a bit of a mess around to maximise my tax savings and liabilities etc. (But to be honest that's just something that sounds cool, offshore trust/business and bank accounts etc.. seems like something out of james bond..)

But yeah, any advice would be good.

To sum up,

Move there easily.
Allowed to reside there
Not be bashed or killed
Able to make my tax free (or low tax) money
Enjoy night life.

Cheers
Thanks.
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 1:03 pm

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Want to spend time in the Caribbean

Originally Posted by Vard0rns
Hi, I'm early 20's and I currently make my money from trading on the US stock market and I earn about $250-350k USD per year depending on how well I do.

I've currently got about 300~K USD in savings and I'm wanting to move to the caribbean due to its tax status and nice beaches.

Which Islands would allow me to move over there and earn my offshore USD whilst not taxing me on that and allowing me to 'work' (although it's just stocks overseas rather than working locally..)

I'd like a decent house, decent internet, decent night life, stuff to do, maybe quad biking or visiting islands and be able to travel easily If i wish.

I've heard that I can buy Dominican citizenship for about 75K + legal / miscellaneous costs. This country does not really seem very appealing though...

I've got full UK/AUS citizenship so also EU, meaning I could live in a few of the french islands and possibly a few dutch ones once/if they finalize bringing them in to the EU, but I assume these are not very good for tax.

Lastly, I may like to build a business there and buy some assets overseas and have a bit of a mess around to maximise my tax savings and liabilities etc. (But to be honest that's just something that sounds cool, offshore trust/business and bank accounts etc.. seems like something out of james bond..)

But yeah, any advice would be good.

To sum up,

Move there easily.
Allowed to reside there
Not be bashed or killed
Able to make my tax free (or low tax) money
Enjoy night life.

Cheers
Thanks.

The question is what can you offer the islands ? Can you create local employment ? You seem to want to bring nothing to the table, but take everything, you don't even want to pay your fair share of tax !!! You sound like a parasite. The islands have wisened up and are not such easy prey now, but they are still very welcoming to those who are willing to help with the development of the region, in return they can offer a fantastic lifestyle.
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 1:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Foxy_fromCanada is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by pgtips
The question is what can you offer the islands ? Can you create local employment ? You seem to want to bring nothing to the table, but take everything, you don't even want to pay your fair share of tax !!! You sound like a parasite. The islands have wisened up and are not such easy prey now, but they are still very welcoming to those who are willing to help with the development of the region, in return they can offer a fantastic lifestyle.
This is true. The governments of the islands are not stupid, and they are aware that their tax situation is desirable to foreigners. To be permitted to stay for longer than a visitor, one must prove why one should be allowed to do so, hence the procedures for work permits etc.

You may want to use some of your money to hire a lawyer and accountant, to ensure you're doing things legally.
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 3:12 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by pgtips
In terms of my offerings to the island gods, I come bearing fruit!. There would have to be some kind of investment into the islands for eligibility to stay, such as land or other investment (As I mentioned the 300k, which will probably have to be increased to 500k or so, in savings for investment.)

I also assume they will make money on my spending in the region and my visa / bureaucratic fees.

Please do not call me a parasite, teabag - It hurts my feelings.

In terms of Dominica, they are a full CARICOM member. What does this mean travel wise? Would it then be easier to settle on another more desirable island if I was a citizen?

Cheers.

Oh, also.. I'd like somewhere that does not have too many hurricanes, because I'm a little be scared of them.

PS: Incidentally, If I'm bringing money into the economy I assume it'd help local banks and they'd be charging me conversion fees etc as well?

Last edited by Vard0rns; Jan 2nd 2009 at 3:18 pm.
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 4:58 pm
Just Joined

investalot is an unknown quantity at this point

Vardorns

Check out the Bahamas.

I live on Grand Bahama Island which is only 30 minutes flight from Miami.
Excellent internet connections, if you purchase a house you are entitled a home owners resident card valid for as long as you own the property, cost $500 per annum.

Stable government, relatively safe, things to do, good restaurants and nightlife.

I think you will find that until you are tax resident on the island (cost $10,000) you will be liable to tax where you are now resident.

Get on a flight and check it out, thats what I did when I was living in Spain...liked it and moved here with the family.

Good luck in your search.
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 6:39 pm

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vard0rns
In terms of my offerings to the island gods, I come bearing fruit!. There would have to be some kind of investment into the islands for eligibility to stay, such as land or other investment (As I mentioned the 300k, which will probably have to be increased to 500k or so, in savings for investment.)

I also assume they will make money on my spending in the region and my visa / bureaucratic fees.

Please do not call me a parasite, teabag - It hurts my feelings.

In terms of Dominica, they are a full CARICOM member. What does this mean travel wise? Would it then be easier to settle on another more desirable island if I was a citizen?

Cheers.

Oh, also.. I'd like somewhere that does not have too many hurricanes, because I'm a little be scared of them.

PS: Incidentally, If I'm bringing money into the economy I assume it'd help local banks and they'd be charging me conversion fees etc as well?
Vardorns, I am not trying to hurt your feelings, maybe just giving you a bit of a reality check. If you want to be of use and welcomed into the Caribbean do something useful for the region. You say you trade shares, why not open a proper business employing some local staff. This way you will legally get a long tax break whilst helping others. This is the kind of thing the governments favour. Willing entrepreneurs who are really bringing something to the table.
Do not scorn or be offended by constructive advice especially advice that could help you become a better person. I wish you well in your endevours.
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 12:01 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by investalot
Vardorns

Check out the Bahamas.

I live on Grand Bahama Island which is only 30 minutes flight from Miami.
Excellent internet connections, if you purchase a house you are entitled a home owners resident card valid for as long as you own the property, cost $500 per annum.

Stable government, relatively safe, things to do, good restaurants and nightlife.

I think you will find that until you are tax resident on the island (cost $10,000) you will be liable to tax where you are now resident.

Get on a flight and check it out, thats what I did when I was living in Spain...liked it and moved here with the family.

Good luck in your search.
Cheers mate.
Useful info, I'll check it out.