Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean
Reload this Page >

Film and media careers in the Caribbean- does it exist?

Film and media careers in the Caribbean- does it exist?

Old Jul 19th 2011, 8:51 am
Just Joined

Charliemarie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Film and media careers in the Caribbean- does it exist?

Hello,

My partner and I have wanted to move to the Caribbean for about 5 years now, but have stayed and got our degree's and some work experience first in the UK- now we're ready and want to get some work experience and life experience abroad.

My boyfriend got his degree in film, television and communication studies, and wants to work as an assistant or similar for a film/television production company. However he is also a writer and would equally love to work for a magazine/newspaper or other publication as a film writer/critic etc- along those lines. I've always had a niggle that there wasn't a massive industry for this in the Caribbean, but then so many things are filmed out there it leaves me with a little hope... can anyone advise?

I however, am a PADI Divemaster and have worked as a H.S.E. Safety Diver. My degree was in Marine and Natural History photography and I also work as a freelance commercial photographer- I am hoping I will find work with a Dive shop or scientific based conservation dive company, as well as maybe setting up a part time real estate/architectural/food/hospitality photography business- again, is there much of an industry?

Sorry to ramble, but our degree's are quite niche and I'm not sure whether its closed doors or opened them lol.

FYI- We're interested in anywhere in the Caribbean, thats preferably part of the British Overseas Territories, and is on the whole, quite safe with a good expat community- but to be specific, I've been obsessed with the BVI for 5 years!

Any help or experienced advice would be fantastic- we've found and emailed a few production companies, but we're still struggling really...
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 3:49 pm
Forum Regular

Sarah1234 is a glorious beacon of lightSarah1234 is a glorious beacon of lightSarah1234 is a glorious beacon of lightSarah1234 is a glorious beacon of lightSarah1234 is a glorious beacon of lightSarah1234 is a glorious beacon of lightSarah1234 is a glorious beacon of lightSarah1234 is a glorious beacon of lightSarah1234 is a glorious beacon of lightSarah1234 is a glorious beacon of lightSarah1234 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Film and media careers in the Caribbean- does it exist?

Here in St Lucia I sometimes see the odd job advertised, but they are few and far between, your best bet might be to research on the internet and find local companies that you can approach and get some feedback from them. I think there are possibilities here but you have to seek them out. Sorry I cant be more helpful.