Turks & Caicos

Old Jan 25th 2010, 10:12 am
Just Joined

scotland999 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Turks & Caicos

Hi

I am enquring about moving jobwise to Turks & Caicos.

I am a gay male with a partner, can anyone tell me if the island is really homophobic and what rights would I have to bring a partner to live with me?

The job would be with the government so that side of it would be sorted for me. I am just trying to find out if they would allow a male partner to move over or are they pretty homophobic?

Many Thanks

J
Old Jan 25th 2010, 11:27 am

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Turks & Caicos

Originally Posted by scotland999
Hi

I am enquring about moving jobwise to Turks & Caicos.

I am a gay male with a partner, can anyone tell me if the island is really homophobic and what rights would I have to bring a partner to live with me?

The job would be with the government so that side of it would be sorted for me. I am just trying to find out if they would allow a male partner to move over or are they pretty homophobic?

Many Thanks

J
Well I know most hotel chains will not allow gay couples as this is seen as unnatural in a lot of the Caribbean. This is a tricky one, but just remember as colourful as they are, most of the islands are pretty conservative and frown upon this.
Old Feb 7th 2010, 1:08 pm
Forum Regular

les666 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Turks & Caicos

The people are a mixed bunch, the older ones may disapprove, the younger people are not bothered...the expats generally couldn’t care less and its these people you will probably mix with a lot of the time.. However your question related to ''relocating your partner to TCI''..

The simple fact is that although you may have a job there is no facility at the moment for a visa if you’re not married. We even had a problem sorting out a visa for my wife because she had kept her unmarried name on all documents (due to working in the film and media industry and was known by her name), the immigration officials couldn’t understand it at first, then questioned what sort of man was I to allow this, they were hard to convince even with the wedding license....

Your partner could try and get a job, but this is a hard process, the best solution is simply for him to enter on a tourist visa which lasts 3 months, then at the end of it take a short flight to somewhere else i.e. Florida for a weekend.

Renting somewhere is no problem as it would be in your name, but you may find the govt has sorted somewhere out...You didn't say if you would be on Provo or Grand Turk