Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean
Reload this Page >

Trading For a Living from Carribean

Trading For a Living from Carribean

Old Oct 23rd 2019, 11:20 am
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Trading For a Living from Carribean

Just to add i’d live somewhere for a lot longer before investing in car home etc, rent for a year, six months minimum...
Old Oct 24th 2019, 12:12 am
Just Joined

UncleFloyd is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow
No, Floyd. You tell me the places you've looked into as real possibilities and I'll tell you what I think of them. These are your prospective homes; you'd be crazy to let some stranger choose them!
I am very early in research phase. I am not heading out the door tomorrow or anything remotely like that, ha, and I would never move anywhere permanently without spending a good chunk of time in the location first. That being said, I'm just trying to whittle down the list of candidates so it's easier to evaluate. I'd appreciate your opinions on three places: Turks and Caicos, Grenada, and Barbados. T&C offers proximity to home and most favorable tax treatment. It is pricey however and I can't tell if there's much to do there aside from its beaches. Grenada and Barbados are outside the hurricane belt, have distinct cultures, and are more picturesque. Grenada is less developed and priced accordingly. Barbados is more developed and I assume has a higher cost-of-living than Grenada. Some say Barbados is at or near overpopulation.
Old Oct 24th 2019, 1:04 am
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

I know grenada inside out, not an expert on the other places, but an observation - ask in the barbados forum but i dont think you can live there. Officially the hurricane belt ends at 12 degrees for insurance purposes and barbados gets hit regularly, grenada every 10-20 years or so.

You can be a perpetual tourist in grenada so long as you have money and somewhere to live, and in a few years you can achieve residency but this of course isnt citizenship and you cant apply for a job here. This is all donr on island, you just have to renew your visa and pay some money - not huge amounts. If you want citizenship with its benefits 250k

Its crime free pretty much, very pretty and not over developed, insurances and vehicles are very expensive, overall add 50% very roughly if you insist on american everything, but local stuff is excellent and usually cheap. You can buy anything and the range of us uk caribbean and local stuff available is wide. Property is fairly cheap to buy - say like texas - but 10% alien landholdin tax on buying 15% on selling. The caribbean is a harsh place in climate terms on property, upkeep is essential. Infrastructure is pretty good, makes uk and us utilities look slow, but they have challenges like big storms and hurricanes of course occasionally, but the systems work. I chose this place objectively over many other islands, but your and my criteria arent necessarily the same.

Theres a mix of 1st and 3rd world going on. We have excellent technology, but subsistance farming, along with big commercial cane / run producers. We have local farmers growing our veg eggs and chickens, but buy american veg and fresh milk too. Fish here is excellent and prices are controlled for locals so its ridiculously cheap. Healthcare is basic but almost free, if you need anything major its usually not too far to get to london trinidad or miami depending on your circumstances. We buy new cars mainly from china and india, but have a big importatioj of secondhnd japanese cars [we drive on the left like the uk and japan.]

Last edited by uk_grenada; Oct 24th 2019 at 1:10 am.
Old Oct 24th 2019, 1:21 am
Just Joined

UncleFloyd is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by uk_grenada
I know grenada inside out, not an expert on the other places, but an observation - ask in the barbados forum but i dont think you can live there. Officially the hurricane belt ends at 12 degrees for insurance purposes and barbados gets hit regularly, grenada every 10-20 years or so.

You can be a perpetual tourist in grenada so long as you have money and somewhere to live, and in a few years you can achieve residency but this of course isnt citizenship and you cant apply for a job here. This is all donr on island, you just have to renew your visa and pay some money - not huge amounts. If you want citizenship with its benefits 250k

Its crime free pretty much, very pretty and not over developed, insurances and vehicles are very expensive, overall add 50% very roughly if you insist on american everything, but local stuff is excellent and usually cheap. You can buy anything and the range of us uk caribbean and local stuff available is wide. Property is fairly cheap to buy - say like texas - but 10% alien landholdin tax on buying 15% on selling. The caribbean is a harsh place in climate terms on property, upkeep is essential. Infrastructure is pretty good, makes uk and us utilities look slow, but they have challenges like big storms and hurricanes of course occasionally, but the systems work. I chose this place objectively over many other islands, but your and my criteria arent necessarily the same.

Theres a mix of 1st and 3rd world going on. We have excellent technology, but subsistance farming, along with big commercial cane / run producers. We have local farmers growing our veg eggs and chickens, but buy american veg and fresh milk too. Fish here is excellent and prices are controlled for locals so its ridiculously cheap. Healthcare is basic but almost free, if you need anything major its usually not too far to get to london trinidad or miami depending on your circumstances. We buy new cars mainly from china and india, but have a big importatioj of secondhnd japanese cars [we drive on the left like the uk and japan.]
thank you for your insight. I appreciate the detailed response.