Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean
Reload this Page >

Tortola - is there much to do for a single guy?

Tortola - is there much to do for a single guy?

Old Jul 24th 2008, 7:54 pm
Just Joined

MikeR371 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tortola - is there much to do for a single guy?

I'm mulling over a job opportunity in Tortola. I'm not sure if I'm suited to island life though, so any advice is welcome. Specifically, what's the social scene like? Are there any clubs or things to join? I'm a single guy, nearly 40. I'm fairly sporty and would like to do a bit of sailing, but I'm not really into lounging around all day on a beach.
Old Jul 29th 2008, 9:23 pm
Just Joined

tigertmoore is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Tortola - is there much to do for a single guy?

Best advice from another bachelor for a dang fine social life is go to Singapore or Hong Kong and leave the darn beach life to the beach hippy's... lots of preteen kids and teen kids and newly married lady's running around... makes for some pretty lonely evenings bubba...

And from experience, I am not kidding. Or, make the employer pay extra so you can get the heck outta there and once in awhile make and greet friends your speed back "home".

Respects:
Tiger T
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 7:26 pm
Just Joined

MikeR371 is an unknown quantity at this point

That sounds pretty much as I feared. I worked in Majorca once for a little while, I didn't find it particularly thrilling. I imagine the Carib to be a quieter version of that.
Old Aug 9th 2008, 1:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeR371
I'm mulling over a job opportunity in Tortola. I'm not sure if I'm suited to island life though, so any advice is welcome. Specifically, what's the social scene like? Are there any clubs or things to join? I'm a single guy, nearly 40. I'm fairly sporty and would like to do a bit of sailing, but I'm not really into lounging around all day on a beach.
There are bars but it is really quite quiet. The most lively thing going on is the Full Moon Party each month!
There is a golf club, has nine holes, there is sailing & diving & not a lot else. If you want lively social scene, you probably need to look elsewhere!