Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean
Reload this Page >

There's no going back now

There's no going back now

Old Jan 16th 2009, 3:52 pm
Forum Regular

Scottylad is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: There's no going back now

Glitterycloud
Sounds like fun - but I have just had a reply from a customs broker in St Lucia who says that personal belongings should be imported either six months before or six months after arrival. I'm not at all sure what he means and am awaiting clarification from him. Better get our garden furniture out to age it a bit.
Old Jan 16th 2009, 9:39 pm
Forum Regular

Chris Louisy is an unknown quantity at this point

That's interesting as we were told you have to collect you shipment within 3 months of its arrival. Yet another discrepancy...

We are going over on Friday so will go to the customs & see what we can find out.

To be honest. I think they make it up as they go along
Old Jan 19th 2009, 11:22 am
Forum Regular

Please keep us posted when you have been to Customs as my contact has again stated that you have to ship your belongings either six months before or six months after your arrival and you need your Aliens Landholding Licence. I really can't see the sense in that as you would either have an empty house for six months or have to pay someone for storage for six months. Can't help thinking he's confused.
Old Jan 19th 2009, 5:41 pm
Forum Regular

glitterycloud will become famous soon enoughglitterycloud will become famous soon enough

Yes Chris Louisy please keep us informed of how you get on at customs.

I really don't think the 6 months before or after is correct are you sure your contact is fully up to date on how it works?

My husbands cousin is a customs broker in SLU and this has never been mentioned in any conversations we have had about customs.

We were told that you have 90 days after your container reaches the port to collect it, otherwise they auction all of it off (would not like to see that happen to my things!!!

Lets hope some light can be shed on this soon
Old Jan 19th 2009, 9:13 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Ive been a customs officer in the UK and spent my life in shipping (including on services to the Caribbean), and I've never heard of anyone encouraging someone to delay receipt of shipment.

In most cases you have a certain amount of time to clear your goods and then storage is charged. The period varys depending on if its a container full or groupage, but is normally only something like 7 days.
Old Jan 21st 2009, 8:22 am
Forum Regular

The contact I had was with a customs broker who said he can arrange customs clearance for us and onward delivery and he quoted us for a 20' and a 40' container. He said that there would be a service charge and levy totalling 6.5% of the value of used items but in order to qualify for this concession the six month rule was applied. If anyone can let me have contact details of a customs broker they can trust I would be grateful. We will be out mid March in any case so will look into this further when there in person but any information on the importation process in the meantime would be greatly appreciated.
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 7:13 pm
Forum Regular

glitterycloud will become famous soon enoughglitterycloud will become famous soon enough

an update on things:

I have told my place of work of my intention to leave!!
I thought that although I only have to give one months notice I would be considerate and tell them in advance. Once the shock had subsided everyone was pleased for me (though they knew I was going at some point within the year)
I have until end of Mar/beginning of April left which is good but it is now final, each little thing is making it more and more real! Does that make sense?? Our move has only been talked about and planned now things are in motion it is exciting!

Shipping has been booked which is something else on the long list ticked off.(still got customs to contend with!!)
Our dog's Veterinary Permit has come back from the Chief Veterinary Officer SLU, he now has permission to enter. I aim to book him up within the next week with Airpets as they seemed the most recommended.

Think thats it so far for the major things.
Old Feb 18th 2009, 1:13 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Chris Louisy
That's interesting as we were told you have to collect you shipment within 3 months of its arrival. Yet another discrepancy...

We are going over on Friday so will go to the customs & see what we can find out.

To be honest. I think they make it up as they go along
Hi Chris
Any luck with your enquiries on the import situation? It would be good to know the correct procedure involved but if you didn't get time we will be out mid March and will make a visit to Customs and try to find someone there who can give us forms and leaflets if available.

Last edited by Scottylad; Feb 18th 2009 at 1:14 pm. Reason: didn't sound good
Old Feb 18th 2009, 9:38 pm

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scottylad
Hi Chris
Any luck with your enquiries on the import situation? It would be good to know the correct procedure involved but if you didn't get time we will be out mid March and will make a visit to Customs and try to find someone there who can give us forms and leaflets if available.
St Lucia Customs and Excise have a website with all this info, there is a link to it in
http://www.rodneybay.net/ST%20LUCIA%...T%20GUIDE.html
Old Feb 19th 2009, 8:15 am
Forum Regular

Hi pgtips
Thanks for the link but I've been there already and the St Lucia Customs website is not the most informative site as all it does is give us a number to call for further information and only gives unclear and conflicting advice. I think personal contact will be the only way to get precise and clear answers to the many questions we have. The site doesn't even have any forms we can download, at least not that I could find. Will be out there soon enough anyway so can make a point of calling at Customs.
Old Feb 20th 2009, 10:44 am
Forum Regular

Chris Louisy is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry, I have been so busy since we got back, I haven't had a chance to update.

We tried our utmost to find out more but it was a nightmare. We didn't actually get to the Customs dept but asked around & the response was much like we have all posted. So much conflicting info.

To be honest, I think the only way to do is to let the shippers sort it out.

We are going to ask the shipper here what they require in terms of documentation & go from there.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful

Chris
Old Feb 21st 2009, 10:12 am
Forum Regular

I guess I'll be the guinea pig for us all as my container is going next month!
Lets hope it isn't too painful and I get to keep all of my items without too much payment.

On a different note there has been alot of conflicting information about what needs to happen to bring over our dog. Defra UK says we are a Rabies free country but SLU is stating we are not?? We have had to have Nelson tested for Lyme Disease and he may have to have heartworm treatment too we are just waiting for Airpets to come back to us with info. I would suggest you contact your vet in advance to get the ball rolling with innoculations and pet passport for your pets, our vet has been fantastic with help and info.

Our shipping company has been the most unhelpful as we are DIY shipping we are going direct with a shipping line and as of date we are still not confirmed with them, I am hopeful we will be booked pretty soon as its keeping my finger nails short!!
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 11:16 am
Forum Regular

Hi glitterycloud
Will be interested to hear how you get on when you eventually get to the customs at Castries. As I work for a removals company I am trying to get information direct from one of the shipping agents we normally use and if I get a response within the next day or two will let you know.
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 12:19 pm
Forum Regular

After alot of telephone calls we have finally booked our shipping container to arrive here in about 3 weeks time. Having spent the weekend packing up the garage it is good to know everything is falling into place. We are now left wondering if our household things will all fit into the 20ft container! i'm sure we will have no problem once we start filling it. Watching the boxes pile up it is amazing to see how much junk we have accumulated
Old Mar 4th 2009, 1:35 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by glitterycloud
After alot of telephone calls we have finally booked our shipping container to arrive here in about 3 weeks time. Having spent the weekend packing up the garage it is good to know everything is falling into place. We are now left wondering if our household things will all fit into the 20ft container! i'm sure we will have no problem once we start filling it. Watching the boxes pile up it is amazing to see how much junk we have accumulated
Glitterycloud
Did your shipping company send you any inventory forms for presentation to customs and do you have to send copies of passports, aliens landholding licence, if applicable etc. as proof you have somewhere to stay? Did you sort out all your problems with the shipping company? I still haven't had a response from mine as they say they are waiting for their St Lucian contacts to come back to them. I got a price for Portsmouth to Castries but they can't give me any indication of the procedures at the other end and that's what I hoped they could tell me. Still we'll be there in under two weeks so will go straight to customs and smile at anyone who looks helpful.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.