Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean
Reload this Page >

St Thomas or St Croix USVI

St Thomas or St Croix USVI

Old Mar 5th 2014, 3:45 am
Just Joined

7thunders is an unknown quantity at this point
Default St Thomas or St Croix USVI

Hello all-

Originally, my heart wanted to live in Italy but after months of research, I just can't seem to understand how I would obtain a work visa and support myself. So, I am back to my original plan which was to live in the Caribbean. To make things simple, I have chosen USVI being I am an American. Now, I need to choose St Thomas or St Croix. I have found web sites for this area but all lead to broken links. Can anyone direct me to web sites that are legitimate on finding work, housing, etc.

Any experiences living on either island would be amazingly appreciated!
Old Mar 5th 2014, 3:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: St Thomas or St Croix USVI

I have absolutely no knowledge of the USVI or carribean, BUT have you looked into EU citizenship by descent? Where were your parents born? Grandparents? Great grandparents? (Yes sometimes it can go that far back !)

If your grandparents were born in italy, you can become an italian citizen
If grandparents born in ireland(whole island including northern ireland), you can become irish
If great grandparents were born in ireland and your parent(s) registered as irish nationals before you were born, you can become irish

Basically every EU country gives nationality to people born abroad to citizens of said country, so if your parents are a citizen of a country, you most likely can be a citizen... If your heart still lies in italy this may help you . Best of luck
Old Mar 5th 2014, 4:52 am
Just Joined

7thunders is an unknown quantity at this point

My grandparents were born in Denmark but when I contacted the Consulate, they stated a this time that it would be very unlikely that I would be granted dual citizenship based on the fact that they are currently being very selective.
Old Mar 6th 2014, 4:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 7thunders
My grandparents were born in Denmark but when I contacted the Consulate, they stated a this time that it would be very unlikely that I would be granted dual citizenship based on the fact that they are currently being very selective.
Ahh.. If its possible to apply, wouldn't hurt to do so. You could turn out lucky. Never win if you don't try