Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean
Reload this Page >

St Lucia Long Term Rental

St Lucia Long Term Rental

Old Feb 5th 2008, 7:44 pm
Forum Regular

Islander Girl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: St Lucia Long Term Rental

Hey,
what sort of job are you looking for? Are you skilled in any field? It is sometimes who you know rather than what you know in this island, do you have any contacts here?

I will check it out for you when I get your reply and let you know. regards,
Old Feb 5th 2008, 7:54 pm
Just Joined

newyorkmets is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Islander Girl
Hey,
what sort of job are you looking for? Are you skilled in any field? It is sometimes who you know rather than what you know in this island, do you have any contacts here?

I will check it out for you when I get your reply and let you know. regards,
Yeah I had a feeling it might be that way with having contacts, unfortunately I do not have any contacts there. I was in the Culinary field for 10 years a Chef at Country Clubs in Florida until moving to North Carolina as my family opened a Restaurant then I went back to school for a career change and now am in the Medical Field as a Radiologist Tech.

I would think with my expierence in Culinary I could get a job at a Hotel or Resort, but I would prefer something in Medical if possible I just am having trouble finding any job listings on the Internet and am not sure the calling for hospital jobs there?

I also have alot expierence in offshore fishing as I did charters in florida for years and I know fishing is pretty good there so thats also something I may be able to supplement my income with if I could find a job in one of those other fields.

Thanks very much for your response, any recommendations you might have would be greatly appreciated

Last edited by newyorkmets; Feb 5th 2008 at 8:06 pm.
Old Feb 6th 2008, 1:09 pm
Forum Regular

Islander Girl is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow - what a variety of careers! I suspect something in the medical line would be worth investigating, but certainly a job as a chef would be something that would open doors for you.

I have checked some of the job websites that I used to look at when back in UK and to be honest, now that I have been on the island nearly a year I don't feel the websites are very useful compared to reality.

Best bet is that you come over here for a couple of weeks with job seeking as your purpose. Bring with you any certificates/achievement acknowledgements/job resume or CV/any references from previous employers etc and check out what is available. The weekend newspaper always has a variety of jobs in it and it would be worth you going to the hospitals to check out what is there for you.

You will get a good taste of the island too and be able to decide if its for you.

I will keep a look out for you and let you know of any opportunities.
Old Feb 11th 2008, 5:55 pm
Just Joined

newyorkmets is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks a bunch IslanderGirl! I'm going to try to get over there within the next month or 2 and visit for a few weeks. I'd appreciate it if you see anything please let me know Thanks again!!
Old Feb 12th 2008, 12:11 pm

username 34 is an unknown quantity at this point

your chef experience is probably the one to get into St Lucia with - then once there you can see whats going medical wise.

As for now Le Paradis is opening on the east coast near Denerey
Raffles is opening up at Cas en Bas 2010
Ritz Carlton will be opening down at Laborie 2010-2011

those are the big names

other than thats theres loads of smaller hotels opening up plus existing ones probably hiring.

Also look into catererglobal.com which advertises jobs for resort/hotels/clubs.

If you're looking at doing the chef thing there'll probably be opportunities around the Rodney Bay area

I was there just this weekend on a little shopping trip from here and its just getting very busy, lots of places opening up, lots of places in construction too.

It was nice to come home and get away from the tourist madness! Although I did get in a good bit of househunting whilst there and think I've finally found where we want to buy when we move from here.