situtaion in jamaica

Old May 23rd 2008, 5:20 am
Just Joined

sgaur is an unknown quantity at this point
Default situtaion in jamaica

can any one give right advise what is the current position in Jamaica. I have got a job offer from the University there to work for three years.
cheers
sanj
Old Jan 20th 2009, 5:57 pm
Just Joined

onelove1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: situtaion in jamaica

Hi there,

Have you ever been to Jamaica? And do you know a local? I have been there three times and visited my boyfriend and found that even when I was travelling from him, he is Jamaican, we still got ripped off slightly at the markets and vendors so it doesn't matter.

Have you ever lived anywhere in the caribbean? And is the university located in Kingston?? My boyfriend says that not ALL of kingston is as terrible as people think. As long as you keep your eyes open and stay out of the ghettos then you will be fine. But it is very different then N.America, or wherever you may be from in the "western world"

I hope I helped and if you have any more questions I can ask my boyfriend for details for you, just let me know
Old Jan 21st 2009, 7:43 am

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: situtaion in jamaica

Originally Posted by sgaur
can any one give right advise what is the current position in Jamaica. I have got a job offer from the University there to work for three years.
cheers
sanj
Everybody I know who goes to Jamaica has a great time..... Holidaying in gated secure resorts. I know Jamaicans who have returned to Jamaica and their biggest concern seems to be the level of crime especially the high murder rate http://www.go-jamaica.com/news/read_article.php?id=5678

Overall Jamaica is a beautiful larger island in the Caribbean and the Jamaicans on a whole are a great set of laid back people, but there is a criminal element which spoils things.

Just be careful and remember there are parts of Kingston which are definately no go areas. You should be OK if you are working for the University and I am sure they will tell you where and where not to frequent.