Retirement in Bequia

Old Sep 13th 2008, 6:15 am
Just Joined

Tissan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Retirement in Bequia

New to this forum so finding my way round the site.
We will be spending our first winter in our new home in Bequia. Took over a container of "stuff" last year but wondered if anyone had any thoughts where I can buy various miscellaneous items for the house i.e fabrics, garden ornaments, soft furnishings etc.
These things are not available in Bequia or as far as I know St Vincent.
Would appreciate your comments.
Old Sep 19th 2008, 1:56 am

username 34 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Retirement in Bequia

Originally Posted by Tissan View Post
We will be spending our first winter in our new home in Bequia. Took over a container of "stuff" last year but wondered if anyone had any thoughts where I can buy various miscellaneous items for the house i.e fabrics, garden ornaments, soft furnishings etc.
the only places really in Vincy are Courts, Lanes and Vieras. They sell all that kind of stuff but to be honest its not good quality and REALLY expensive. An example for you - rattan 3 piece suite, crappy rattan wood, thin horrible design cushions ..... you're looking at at least $6000 EC!

my advice - buy from the states, somewhere like Ikea, ship it to Vincy and then forward it from customs on the ferry to Bequia. You may pay the same price in the end but you'll like it alot more!

You could also try getting it from Trinidad - alot of the boat captains go there at least 4 times a year and know boats that can ship for you. Only problem is you have to go to Trinidad, which is dangerous as hell! unless you can buy something online.

anything we want - I get from the states.
Old Sep 19th 2008, 5:56 am
Just Joined

Hi
Thanks for advice.
Yes, we've already bought quite a bit of furniture in Miami and also brought stuff from the UK but it was really nice fabrics I was looking for. I can't find anything here that has a "tropical" look.
We've been to Trinidad a couple of times shopping and always use a reliable taxi driver to ferry us around.
By the way, do you know of anyone who sells various garden plants? Once the garden is established I can take cuttings but at the moment we have bare ground!
Thanks once again, it's much appreciated
Tissan
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 2:29 pm

username 34 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for advice.
Yes, we've already bought quite a bit of furniture in Miami and also brought stuff from the UK but it was really nice fabrics I was looking for. I can't find anything here that has a "tropical" look.
We've been to Trinidad a couple of times shopping and always use a reliable taxi driver to ferry us around.
By the way, do you know of anyone who sells various garden plants? Once the garden is established I can take cuttings but at the moment we have bare ground!
Thanks once again, it's much appreciated
Tissan

no idea of garden stuff I'm afraid - everything we get we trim from road edges etc or is already here.

Of course you dont want anything growing up close to your house - but for the garden you might want to try the Tropical Botanic gardens in Vincy, I'm sure they would know where to get stuff or sell something to you.
Old Sep 24th 2008, 11:27 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the advice.
I planted some local hedgerow plants last winter but I expect they'll have been washed away by now. I'll find out when I get there!
A good idea to try the Botanical Gardens - thanks
Tissan
Old Jun 1st 2009, 5:04 pm
Just Joined

crispa is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Tissan
Just found this site and forum, and getting in touch with you as I live in St Vincent and may be able to help, particularly with garden ornaments as I, like you, was looking for same a few years ago, and started making concrete ornaments and statuary as a hobby which has now turned into a new small business.
Apart from that, I'm interested in meeting Uk expats to broaden our social life! Don't know whether you're in Bequia at present, but hope to hear from you anyway. My husband is from Suffolk, we've been married two years today, so he's more the expat than me; I've been here a quarter of a century, born in St Vincent and lived in London 20 years.
I've got lots to say, so hope you and anyone else nearby will get in touch with me.
Cheers
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 7:57 am
Just Joined

Hi crispa

Nice to hear from you, the only message received from someone who lives close by. We're in Bequia later this month and will be coming over to Aunt Jobes to do a grocery shop so maybe we could tie in the trip with coming to see you and what you have to offer. Which area do you live?

We really love it in the Grenadines - who wouldn't with all that sunshine ! Mind you, we are having lovely weather in the UK at the moment too.,

Look forward to hearing from you.

Tissan
Old Jun 7th 2009, 5:32 am
Just Joined

Hi crispa

Nice to hear from you, the only message received from someone who lives close by. We're in Bequia later this month and will be coming over to Aunt Jobes to do a grocery shop so maybe we could tie in the trip with coming to see you and what you have to offer. Which area do you live?

We really love it in the Grenadines - who wouldn't with all that sunshine ! Mind you, we are having lovely weather in the UK at the moment too.,

Look forward to hearing from you.

Tissan
Hi Tissan

Thanks for getting in touch.
Yes, would like to meet you when you come over. I live in the Mespo area. As soon as I can I will send you a private message with my email address, but in the meantime I have a photo album you can visit - http://gardengallery.myphotoalbum.com, (if I'm allowed to do this).

If all else fails, you and I can always redezvous at the Bequia Bookshop!

My husband and I spent a lovely few days in Bequia last December - it is so lovely there. And although it's still home, and just an hour away on the boat, being there is like taking a vacation. We try not to go too often so that it's really a treat when we do go and doesn't become commonplace!

Until next time.
Crispa
Old Oct 21st 2009, 10:02 pm
Just Joined

Hi Tissan
There's a horticulural society exhibition in St Vincent 24/25 October at the UWI Open Campus (formerly University Centre) in Kingstown. You were asking about garden ornaments - as well as plants and all things floral, there will be booths for concrete ornaments and statuary, birdhouses, and grass basketry. If you're interested ...
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 10:24 am
Just Joined

Hi Crispa
Thankyou for taking the trouble to send me a message about the Horticultural Show. We only just arrived in Bequia yesterday. We are going to try to make it over to St Vincent tomorrow (Saturday). Not sure where the venue is though. Is it on the road to Sion Hill?
Tissan
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 1:51 pm
Just Joined

Hi Tissan
I assumed you'd been back in Bequia for a while....
Yes, the UWI Open Campus is on the road to Sion Hill but still in town. It's right opposite the Peace Memorial Hall (the big pink building on the left on the way out of town). Anyone will direct you. The show opens to the public from 2 to 6 on Saturday, but I will be set up by 10am. Hope you can make it - I would be nice to meet you.
Crispa
Old Nov 20th 2009, 3:05 pm
Just Joined

Hi Crispa
Sorry I didn't get to meet up with you at the Horticultural Exhibition. We seem to have been so busy this last month doing things to the house etc.
A question I would like to ask you: do you know where I can buy plastic bags or pots for cuttings. I've recently been given a lot of cuttings which I've brought on in water but they now need to go into pots. Someone told me you can buy plastic bags especially for this purpose somewhere in St Vincent.
Any ideas?
Thanks for your help.
Tissan
Old Jan 14th 2010, 9:16 am
Just Joined

sheshi is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi - I used to live in Hawaii - a fabulous company has the most amazing fabrics and you can order on-line. http://www.fmart.com/

If you need a good mail forwarding service (USA based) look into: http://www.earthclassmail.com/

I would love to hear how you are enjoying your new like in Bequia - we are investigating Caribbean Islands - currently in Cayman (for years) - loved Bermuda - but now essentially closed to new immigrants, as is the BVI ... I hear Bequia is very nice ... Tax favorable?

Cheers - Sherri
Old Jan 14th 2010, 5:58 pm
Just Joined

Hi Sheshi
Thanks for taking the trouble to forward this information. Had a quick look at the website for materials - beautiful. Everything that comes into this country must go through customs and that attracts a lot of duty so that would have to be factored into the price.
Yes, we are enjoying Bequia very much. It's a very peaceful island with no high rise chain hotels and all that goes with it.
Taxes are not something we get too embroiled in being retired but general taxes such as V.A.T. apply on most things.
We have been to the Caymans and liked it very much also our daughter has visited a couple of times to take underwater photographs for her website.
Nice speaking to you.
Tissan