Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean
Reload this Page >

Renting St Lucia with a dog

Renting St Lucia with a dog

Old Jul 18th 2008, 7:45 am
Forum Regular

glitterycloud will become famous soon enoughglitterycloud will become famous soon enough
Default Renting St Lucia with a dog

Hi, can anyone tell me if it is difficult to rent long term with a family dog?
We are moving over next year and will be bringing our lab, we will stay with hubbys family until we find the right place that will accept a dog.
I know over here it is a bit harder to find landlords that will accept dogs.
Old Jul 18th 2008, 4:41 pm
Forum Regular

LottieLou is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Renting St Lucia with a dog

Originally Posted by glitterycloud
Hi, can anyone tell me if it is difficult to rent long term with a family dog?
We are moving over next year and will be bringing our lab, we will stay with hubbys family until we find the right place that will accept a dog.
I know over here it is a bit harder to find landlords that will accept dogs.
Hi GlitteryCloud,
I'm afraid I can't really help with your request as such, but most dogs (that I know of) over here are kept chained outside - mine is - but she does come into the kitchen and my landlord hasn't mentioned anything to me that she shouldn't be in the house.

Have you looked into the necessary documents and such that you will need to arrange for your dog for import purposes into the island? I did find a link with some info on, but can't seem to find it now.

Have found it! - here's the link (if it will work) http://www.slumaffe.org/Livestock_Se..._services.html
If it doens't work - go to slumaffe.org and click on the veterinary and livestock services link on the left hand side at the bottom.

HTH

Lottie

Last edited by LottieLou; Jul 18th 2008 at 4:52 pm. Reason: link to slumaffe website
Old Jul 18th 2008, 6:48 pm
Forum Regular

glitterycloud will become famous soon enoughglitterycloud will become famous soon enough

Hi Lottie, thanks for your reply
i was aware that many dogs were kept outside overthere i hadn't really thought about keeping mine outside but i will now as it isn't frowned upon over there like it is here. I had forgotten that to be honest!
I have checked out all the relevant details for bringing him over, i have been in contact with the authorities and have an email specifying what we need to do. He is due his rabies jab next month which means we can come over as soon as Mar 09 and i will be making sure he is good to go as he is only a pup and we have only had him about 2 months so he has to come!!
The winning factor on getting our lab puppy was that there are no quarantine requirements.
Im sure i will keep you busy over the coming months with numreous questions!
Old Jul 19th 2008, 3:24 am
Forum Regular

LottieLou is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Lottie, thanks for your reply
i was aware that many dogs were kept outside overthere i hadn't really thought about keeping mine outside but i will now as it isn't frowned upon over there like it is here. I had forgotten that to be honest!
I have checked out all the relevant details for bringing him over, i have been in contact with the authorities and have an email specifying what we need to do. He is due his rabies jab next month which means we can come over as soon as Mar 09 and i will be making sure he is good to go as he is only a pup and we have only had him about 2 months so he has to come!!
The winning factor on getting our lab puppy was that there are no quarantine requirements.
Im sure i will keep you busy over the coming months with numreous questions!
two month old puppy....oh he must be adorable. My puppy (she's a doberman mix) is now 6 months old and still cute!

ah, no worries about asking questions. There's a good number of people on here that are a minefield of information, so don't be afraid to ask.

Lottie
Old Aug 1st 2008, 4:52 pm
Forum Regular

LucyLock is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi I can help you with finding a rental, even with a dog. Just let me know when you need somewhere.
Old Aug 1st 2008, 5:57 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by LucyLock
Hi I can help you with finding a rental, even with a dog. Just let me know when you need somewhere.
Hi Lucylock, thank you that would be great. Our plans are coming on great, we are nearly there with all the research. We have bought a vehicle to ship over and have had good quotes for shipping our furniture, car and puppy.
Im sure the time will fly by and i'll be over there with you guys soon enough.
Old Aug 1st 2008, 6:53 pm

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Lucylock, thank you that would be great. Our plans are coming on great, we are nearly there with all the research. We have bought a vehicle to ship over and have had good quotes for shipping our furniture, car and puppy.
Im sure the time will fly by and i'll be over there with you guys soon enough.
I am glad all is going well, I also have an adorable 5 month old lab, and she will definately be coming with us when we move to St lucia. Has yours started shedding lots of hair yet ? Labs are known for this.