Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean
Reload this Page >

Relocating to Saint Lucia: LOTS of questions. HELP

Relocating to Saint Lucia: LOTS of questions. HELP

Old Aug 12th 2008, 7:26 am
Just Joined

kristiancdn is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Relocating to Saint Lucia: LOTS of questions. HELP

my parents and I are hoping to relocate to saint lucia and are looking to see if anyone could answer our questions. We are from Canada, yes I understand this is a British site but there were no canadian expat site.
We are leaning towards relocating to the north of the island in the rodney bay area or possibly Castries in and around virgie and Charlotte area. My mother is a registered nurse and has a degree from canada in this expertise. My father currently imports agriculture into canada for a supermarket line and has 3 years of engineer education. What sort of jobs are availible in saint lucia for there areas of expertise? My mother has been looking into Tapion private hospital outside castried to work but is unaware if there are any positions there.
We also plan on Opening a small business of purchasing local arts and crafts and importing them to buyers back in Canada. We understand you must aquire a licence to open a business in saint lucia but are unaware to cost and length it takes to finalize. We originally planned to open a hotel but do not have a few million to toss around. My parents are in their late 30's and I am 15 years old so my parents must work. From what we have seen the average anual wage in saint lucia is $6100 american a year but that is a 2001 stat. does anyone know the current amount? I am going to need to be in school if we relocate with in the next three years. We have been looking at a canadian Based international school in Rodney bay that is private if we decided to relocate. It looks like a great school. Has anyone heard anything or had any bad expiriances with them? Do you recomend any other schools that are not religion passed and are only Co-ed?

We have been to saint lucia only once but we have been all acrose the caribbean. The only majour countries we havent traveld to is Saint vincent, Trinidad, Tobago, French martinique, Turks and caicos, Haiti, and the Dominican republic. We journeyed all around Castries, Down To Anse La Raye and spent alot of time around that area, went through Canaries and stayed in Soufriere. We Later went into the rain forest through Fond Doux and Vieux fort.
We have know family in saint lucia but we found that we may have an advantage to citizenship being that we are commonwealth and north american. We can enter with out a passport if we posses Return tickets. Is this true?

Another hurtle we face is we have a Year an a half old Sheltand sheepdog who must come with us. What sort of things must we do to do this?

What sort of things must be done to become a citizen or national? I have heard it takes 7 years ! this is a heck of a long time! what requirements must we meet or papers do we need?

We are looking for a home in the max of 380,000 american doallars because understandingly we need some spare money if we are takinga pay cut of over 60,000 dollars a year each. OR would you suggest to remain in canada Until I am out of highschool so my parents can save up some more money for a home. We have done tones of looking at real estate on the island through the internet and found it was possible to get a good home in some areas for only 100,000 dollars!

Finally,
What are the disadvantages to saint lucia? Please list all.

We originally wanted to move to Dominica or antigua but found that dominica was too unurbanized and unadvanced and antigua had very little access to home and had a high rate of illness and such. We did not enjoy antigua as much.
IF you can think of any other island with a little taste of the city but also mountanous and Thick in rainforest, please inform us.
Jamaica is not an option. thank you for your time to who ever will answer or read this.
Old Aug 12th 2008, 12:48 pm

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Relocating to Saint Lucia: LOTS of questions. HELP

Originally Posted by kristiancdn
my parents and I are hoping to relocate to saint lucia and are looking to see if anyone could answer our questions. We are from Canada, yes I understand this is a British site but there were no canadian expat site.
We are leaning towards relocating to the north of the island in the rodney bay area or possibly Castries in and around virgie and Charlotte area. My mother is a registered nurse and has a degree from canada in this expertise. My father currently imports agriculture into canada for a supermarket line and has 3 years of engineer education. What sort of jobs are availible in saint lucia for there areas of expertise? My mother has been looking into Tapion private hospital outside castried to work but is unaware if there are any positions there.
We also plan on Opening a small business of purchasing local arts and crafts and importing them to buyers back in Canada. This sounds like a good idea as finding work in your fathers field may be hard.

We understand you must aquire a licence to open a business in saint lucia but are unaware to cost and length it takes to finalize. We originally planned to open a hotel but do not have a few million to toss around. My parents are in their late 30's and I am 15 years old so my parents must work. From what we have seen the average anual wage in saint lucia is $6100 american a year but that is a 2001 stat. does anyone know the current amount? I would say at least double that amount now because the cost of living has shot up.

I am going to need to be in school if we relocate with in the next three years. We have been looking at a canadian Based international school in Rodney bay that is private if we decided to relocate. It looks like a great school. Has anyone heard anything or had any bad expiriances with them? Do you recomend any other schools that are not religion passed and are only Co-ed?

I have only heard good things about it so far

We have been to saint lucia only once but we have been all acrose the caribbean. The only majour countries we havent traveld to is Saint vincent, Trinidad, Tobago, French martinique, Turks and caicos, Haiti, and the Dominican republic. We journeyed all around Castries, Down To Anse La Raye and spent alot of time around that area, went through Canaries and stayed in Soufriere. We Later went into the rain forest through Fond Doux and Vieux fort.
We have know family in saint lucia but we found that we may have an advantage to citizenship being that we are commonwealth and north american. We can enter with out a passport if we posses Return tickets. Is this true?

I am not so sure of this, but if you are going to open a business especially if you plan on employing a few locals then this should not be a problem

Another hurtle we face is we have a Year an a half old Sheltand sheepdog who must come with us. What sort of things must we do to do this?

Check with immigration but this should not be a problem

What sort of things must be done to become a citizen or national? I have heard it takes 7 years ! this is a heck of a long time! what requirements must we meet or papers do we need?

How long does it take a non Canadian to gain Canadian citizenship ? Why do you think 7 years is such a long period for St Lucia ?

We are looking for a home in the max of 380,000 american doallars because understandingly we need some spare money if we are takinga pay cut of over 60,000 dollars a year each. OR would you suggest to remain in canada Until I am out of highschool so my parents can save up some more money for a home. We have done tones of looking at real estate on the island through the internet and found it was possible to get a good home in some areas for only 100,000 dollars!

100,000 US in a good area, please tell me what area is this ?

Finally,
What are the disadvantages to saint lucia? Please list all.

This is very speculative depending on what you are moving to the Caribbean for, ie less stress, more sunshine, beaches, to live debt free. Only you can decide if this island will truely suit your lifestyles. I would say visit the island some more and become more aquainted with it before making any decisions.

We originally wanted to move to Dominica or antigua but found that dominica was too unurbanized and unadvanced and antigua had very little access to home and had a high rate of illness and such. We did not enjoy antigua as much.
IF you can think of any other island with a little taste of the city but also mountanous and Thick in rainforest, please inform us.

Maybe the South Pacific, but St Lucia is quite unique in the Caribbean for your wish list. I would say it is a good island choice, but again I would stress you need to become more aquainted with the island

thank you for your time to who ever will answer or read this.

I hope this helps you a bit.

Regards
Old Aug 12th 2008, 5:52 pm
Just Joined

Thank you so much, we have been doing hours of reasearch since we returned from saint lucia on Aug. 3rd

We thought seven years for a citizen was fairly lengthy because my Uncle relocated to Australia In 1999 and it only took him 5 years to become a full citizen, then again he moved there to marry a local. Aswell My grandfather relocated to Canada From Denmark in the late 60's with in 3 years he was a citizen but once again, 40 years ago the regulations were not as strict and he was marrying a Canadian.

We found some homes in the Gros Islet area For around 100,000. We found a beautiful 4 Bed, 3 Bath home ontop a hill in the Gros Islet Area overlooking Rodney bay with panoramic views. It was decent but needed some work, the bathrooms looked like a tribute to the 70's. It had a large yard at 3/4 acre. It was listed at $118,500 USD it sold overnight.

We found Some in the Vieux Fort area thats were nice but small at 1100 square feet or about 102 Square metres. There was alot of homes around La feuillet and micoud. We found one in Dennery. The catch is that the All sell very quickly.
Old Aug 12th 2008, 6:18 pm

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you so much, we have been doing hours of reasearch since we returned from saint lucia on Aug. 3rd

We thought seven years for a citizen was fairly lengthy because my Uncle relocated to Australia In 1999 and it only took him 5 years to become a full citizen, then again he moved there to marry a local. Aswell My grandfather relocated to Canada From Denmark in the late 60's with in 3 years he was a citizen but once again, 40 years ago the regulations were not as strict and he was marrying a Canadian.

We found some homes in the Gros Islet area For around 100,000. We found a beautiful 4 Bed, 3 Bath home ontop a hill in the Gros Islet Area overlooking Rodney bay with panoramic views. It was decent but needed some work, the bathrooms looked like a tribute to the 70's. It had a large yard at 3/4 acre. It was listed at $118,500 USD it sold overnight.

We found Some in the Vieux Fort area thats were nice but small at 1100 square feet or about 102 Square metres. There was alot of homes around La feuillet and micoud. We found one in Dennery. The catch is that the All sell very quickly.
At those prices I am not surprised they sold so quickly. prices can vary quite a lot over quite a short distance. The main Rodney Bay Village, Rodney Heights and Cap Estate are the real premium areas and with prices to reflect prices generally from about $400,000 us to a $million + depending on the location and quality. However 5 minutes inland and prices are much cheaper (for now), remember the word is out and and St Lucia is set to boom.

Last edited by pgtips; Aug 12th 2008 at 6:56 pm.
Old Aug 12th 2008, 7:28 pm
Just Joined

wow thanks so much for that site we could not find much about rodney bay.

and yes, we know all about boom our city just went though one, Calgary. Homes went from 190,000 to over 500,000 for a crummy home.

Last edited by kristiancdn; Aug 12th 2008 at 7:33 pm.
Old Aug 13th 2008, 5:12 am
Just Joined

Oh another question I had was, What is the legal age to gain a driver's licences in Saint Lucia? just curious, In canada we get a learners permitt at 14 and a drivers at 16.
Old Aug 13th 2008, 7:02 am

Oh another question I had was, What is the legal age to gain a driver's licences in Saint Lucia? just curious, In canada we get a learners permitt at 14 and a drivers at 16.
If my memory serves me right you can start learning at 17 and get a full permit at 18. St Lucia is not a big island but some people sure drive as though they are in a hurry to get somewhere, so extra care has to be taken when driving. Although some of the roads have improved vastly I would still recommend a good 4x4 to get all over the island, especially some of the steep roads off the beaten track.
Old Aug 13th 2008, 9:25 am
Forum Regular

glitterycloud will become famous soon enoughglitterycloud will become famous soon enough

Hi, my husband and i are looking to move to SLU too so i have been doing lots of research aswell. Here are some links for you to take a look at but some might be only relevant to UK so read carefully.
Hope these help:

Importing animals[URL="http://www.stlucia.gov.lc/faq/what_are_the_requirements_to_do_to_bring_in_my_dog _cat.htm"]

SLU properties
[URL="http://www.cariblist.com/stlucia/realty/Searches/rental_results.asp?Parish=*&Type=*&Rent=*&Rent_top =*&Curr=0.1941%2CGB%A3&Sort=Asking_Price&B1=Search "]

SLU customs and excise
http://www.customs.gov.lc/index2.htm

Starting a business
http://www.doingbusiness.org/Explore...?economyid=176
Old Aug 13th 2008, 9:26 am
Forum Regular

glitterycloud will become famous soon enoughglitterycloud will become famous soon enough

Sorry some of those links didnt work here they are again:

Imorting animalshttp://www.stlucia.gov.lc/faq/what_a...my_dog_cat.htm

SLU properties
http://www.cariblist.com/stlucia/rea...rice&B1=Search
Old Aug 13th 2008, 11:35 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for those websites unfortunatley it did stur up another question.

The customs website said You needed an import license to import furniture but it did not say how we go about getting that, that I saw.

How much would that cost and how do you go about getting one?
(to move contents of home)

As response to the other reply, I would agree with the 4X4 i remember those roads being so windy and the various close calls we had there.
Old Aug 14th 2008, 5:00 am
Just Joined

Oh and how long of a drive is it from Castries to rodney bay,
we found soufriere to castries to be a VERY Long drive although we are used to 50 minutes to work with high traffic
Old Aug 14th 2008, 2:46 pm
Forum Regular

Islander Girl is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh and how long of a drive is it from Castries to rodney bay,
we found soufriere to castries to be a VERY Long drive although we are used to 50 minutes to work with high traffic
Hello,
I moved to St Lucia just over a year ago so can give you some tips on areas to live and house prices as I work in Real Estate.

The drive from Castries to Rodney Bay depends a lot on time of day but usually on a good run takes around 15 - 20 mins.

Good luck with everything.
Old Aug 14th 2008, 4:13 pm
Forum Regular

i was under the impression that you can bring in your furniture as part of your personal and household effects as long as they have been in your possession for a year and were used. Is an import licence required if you are buying and selling furniture as part of a business?
Old Aug 14th 2008, 8:37 pm
Just Joined

Ok, well I'll look into the importing of furninture a little more.

And to the realtor, What are some good areas of the rodney bay- Castries area that you can get a house in under 400,000 canadian dollars or 982,000 East car. dollars ,if there are any?
Old Aug 14th 2008, 8:50 pm
Just Joined

Another Question, haha.

To build a home in Saint lucia, does it take a long time? Here at home it would take about 1 year to build a 2000 square foot home. We noticed that in Many caribbean countries that building a home from scratch is usually a lenghthy ordeal, for example in Jamaica it was supposed to take 5 years aswell as parts of Belize. Is it this long in SL. too?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.